• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No more Jump Putting?

Right now, if a disc is leaning up against a rock wall or sealed building (so it's not called OB), there's realistically no relief option available to move mark toward the pin. I've suggested to TDs with this type of situation to call landing inside the building or rock wall OB (even though it's not possible) so players could get relief for a stance.

Right now, if a disc is leaning up against a rock wall or sealed building (so it's not called OB), there's realistically no relief option available to move mark toward the pin. I've suggested to TDs with this type of situation to call landing inside the building or rock wall OB (even though it's not possible) so players could get relief for a stance.

We've played this rule at Diamond X where a large boulder overhangs behind the basket to the point where a legal stance is impossible. Given the meter away from the base of the boulder, a player can get a legal stance. Because the tee shot is on a very steep downhill angle, the odd of landing on the boulder and being "OB" are next to nothing.

What I meant was the front edge of the thrown disc defines the edge.
Hence, placing a marker allows you to place a foot behind the leading edge of the thrown disc (without stepping on the disc) when it's very tight to something behind it.

I never meant to imply the leading edge of the marker determines the lie.
Under the current rule, it should always be the back of the mini, as we mark the leading edge of the thrown disc.

Last edited:
Couldn't edit with 5 min:

What I meant was WHEN YOU MARK YOUR LIE, the front edge of the thrown disc defines the lie.

Couldn't edit with 5 min:

What I meant was WHEN YOU MARK YOUR LIE, the front edge of the thrown disc defines the lie.
I understand what you're trying to say, but really, any mention of the leading/front edge of the thrown disc with regard to the lie is only going to lead to confusion about the rules. Technically speaking, the front edge of the thrown disc has nothing to do with the lie.

If you leave the thrown disc and play from behind it, the lie is a 30 cm segment of the line of play beginning at the rear edge of the disc.

If you mark with a mini, the lie is a 30 cm segment of the line of play beginning at the rear edge of the mini.

responding specifically to this line from Steve's post:

Currenty, the front egde of the disc defines the lie. If the rear of the thrown disc is very close to an obstacle (e.g. tree trunk, bush, bldg.) marking the lie with a mini provides space to place your foot for a legal stance without stepping on the thrown disc. That's the only legit reason I can think of for marking a disc you don't plan to throw.

I suppose players are also "entitled" to the step right up to the leading edge of the thrown disc, for those who feel that 8" or so is important at that time.

I was asking why anyone would use a mini marker if the rule were changed so that the marker was placed at the rear of the thrown disc.

(50 cm better than 45 so it's half a meter)

Might as well also make the "Line of Play" as wide as the disc you leave on the ground for even more flexibility and better chance of hitting your mark on fairway run-ups.

Is more flexibility good, or is that the opposite of "play it where it lies"?

I'd bet more players would miss a wider lie. Human nature to be a little more sloppy than is allowed.

I might miss a call if I focus on the wrong side of the lie.

I was asking why anyone would use a mini marker if the rule were changed so that the marker was placed at the rear of the thrown disc.

Relocation. There are some places within one meter of OB, wherein using the exact lie is not as good as a different point -- either closer to OB or further from the OB which are more advantageous.

Relocation. There are some places within one meter of OB, wherein using the exact lie is not as good as a different point -- either closer to OB or further from the OB which are more advantageous.

Good point. Also for relief, above or below the playing surface, and approximate lies. Those are all fairly rare, so the game should go faster.

As a newbie just getting started, to be honest, I don't like the jump putt. I would be interested in the history behind it and why it was allowed in the first place as it seems strange to me.

I was watching a ladies tournament (not centering out women disc golfers, it's just the first time I have seen this) and one player was taking a run up to her jump putts. So a run up like a regular shot but then jumping forward like a jump putt. Is that legal? I have yet to see anyone else do this. I don't want to center out a player or critisize as though I know, cuz I don't obviously. Just curious.

Come on people do t limit everything you see about disc golf personally I've seen jump putts just about every time I've played but only on long putts it is useful for a delicate putt

As a newbie just getting started, to be honest, I don't like the jump putt. I would be interested in the history behind it and why it was allowed in the first place as it seems strange to me.

It wasn't specifically allowed, as it has (to my knowledge at least) never been disallowed. outside 10 meters, it's just a shot like any other fairway shot, and the same rules apply, which mean you are allowed to follow through. It's just that the throwing motion is different on a "jump putt" than on a fairway drive or approach shot.

I say get rid of the 10m circle as there is a basket on my home course that is 8' tall and even extending my arm to my max I'm about 7'8". The basket overhangs on the front side so it makes anything other than a nose-up turbo putt nearly impossible if you land next to the pole underneath the basket. I would like to be allowed to "dunk" the disc under this situation.

Last edited: