• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nominate a 'World's Best Disc Golf Hole'

A few things:
We are nominating favorite holes - not crowning them.
If anyone played 3000+ courses, could they remember every hole?
I agree with you.
For someone who loves chocolate...you are one skinny dude!
What are some of your favorite holes?

Hole #16 at Kirkwood is still one of the most memorable for me. 1200 ft downhill shot. the fairway is a ski run that usually has the beginner terrain park on it. amazing views, huge elevation drop. if i had to guess i would say it drops close to 200 feet. crazy hole, and course. there's nothing like letting rip 500 ft shots down a sierra nevada mountainside.

I'd like to go on record as saying that Dave242's reviewing style has helped me tremendously. His reviewing method was a major influence to help me realize that the most realistic approach is to review courses based on my personal enjoyment instead of trying to gauge an elusive and unattainable measure of quality. To put it another way, I see my reviews as mostly subjective based primarily on my personal preferences.

I will say that there may be a bit of overlap, though, between subjective preferences and quality. For the most part, when a lot of people enjoy a hole that's usually because it's a good hole.

Best for what player level?

Another question I have about this threads title is "Best" for whom? It looks like a lot of long epic holes are being nominated that may be challenging for Gold level players. Do most people assume that the "best" holes are the ones that challenge the most highly skilled pros? Personally, I think that view has some validity. But is it also possible to have a "best" hole for lower skilled player? (For more info on course levels check out the "Course Levels" thread.) Could a well designed hole for Red level or even Green level be one of the "best in the world" because they are great holes for the intended skill level? It seems that most people automatically assume that short holes for Green level players aren't as good as long holes for Gold level players. Short courses are derogatorily called "pitch and putt" with the assumption that they're not as good as longer courses.

It seems to me that Green and Red level holes are usually designed to be much easier as well. They're more open and the greens have fewer difficulties. This lack of challenge would be another reason why players of a higher skill level would not consider them to be "best".

What do you think?

Best Hole in DFW

This is a beautiful hole, No. 1 at Lake Lewisville Park in the Dallas, Ft Worth area. Notice the lake at the bottom of the hill. Second best would be No, 4 at Dolese in Oklahoma City.

Attachments

• Lake Lewisville #1.jpg
    Lake Lewisville #1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 26
Number 17 on the winter/summer setup at Campgaw reservation in New Jersey.
7ee8ab2c.jpg

The most awesome tunnel shot EVER! A 405' downhill throw that is pure challenge and great beauty.

Another question I have about this threads title is "Best" for whom? It looks like a lot of long epic holes are being nominated that may be challenging for Gold level players. Do most people assume that the "best" holes are the ones that challenge the most highly skilled pros? Personally, I think that view has some validity. But is it also possible to have a "best" hole for lower skilled player? (For more info on course levels check out the "Course Levels" thread.) Could a well designed hole for Red level or even Green level be one of the "best in the world" because they are great holes for the intended skill level? It seems that most people automatically assume that short holes for Green level players aren't as good as long holes for Gold level players. Short courses are derogatorily called "pitch and putt" with the assumption that they're not as good as longer courses.

It seems to me that Green and Red level holes are usually designed to be much easier as well. They're more open and the greens have fewer difficulties. This lack of challenge would be another reason why players of a higher skill level would not consider them to be "best".

What do you think?

Its just a personal opinion for each individual. Distance, difficulty, and all the other variations are in the imagination of the beholder.

What do you think?

Good points in there, my personal opinion on that is that the tougher holes tend to have a lot more risk/reward potential. Hitting a great shot feels awesome when you know how badly a shot can go wrong.

A list of my favorite holes can be found at "Favorite Holes". A partial list is below (but I still can't get the formatting right.)

Code:
[B]ST     City            Course             Hole     [/B]
NC     Lumberton       Luther Britt       17
VA     Fredericksburg  Pratt                16
NC     Fuquay-Varina  Higher Ground   3 Black
NC     Louisburg         Tar River           18
VA     Charlottesville   Walnut Creek    17
MD     Gaithersburg    Seneca Creek    [URL="http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/../view_image.php?p=course_pics/192/21f0a034.jpg"]13C[/URL] 
VA     Charlottesville   Walnut Creek    18
GA     Savannah         Triplett             4

Olorin's website is cool. Check it out

Click on hole 2 at Lions Park. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=528&mode=gal#

The photo you see is from the long tee. The short tee to the far left gives you the option to throw thru the gridwork of the power tower or throw a tougher annie route around it. The course doesn't have much foliage so the tower provided some additional challenge for the design. There are several holes around the country that use power or gas line easements.

I hate this hole, I played in the sundog here and hit the stupid curb on the drive for an ob penalty cause I was worried about hitting the power lines (throwing RHFH) Needless to say it ruined my round. Love that course though, even if it is always windy.

I'll try to remind you not to park in that lot when I am out there. I throw lefty, and can probably not quite reach the green....but I will try! And I will probably hyzer out and spike hyzer the hood of your car. :eek:

8f05af1a.jpg

Last edited:
Renaissance Gold #10 - Par 5 with the chance of an albatros (thumber ace required), eagle three with two perfectly executed throws, birdie 4's are expected but are only attainable if you are not off by more than 1-2 degrees, par 5's are very acceptable and 6's and 7's happen to even really good players. All of this, and it is very fair - want a big reward???? ....better take a big risk.

Be the Disc! flyby video

renny_14a.jpg

renny_14b.jpg

renny_10g2.jpg

renny_10g3.jpg

renny_10g5.jpg

I love/HATE that hole! That hole straight whoops my @$$!

Latest posts