• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Non Rolling Midrange

Chucktown

Eagle Member
Hey guys, I just got done playing and I had the perfect shot with my Buzz, parked it right under the basket, but when I walked up it rolled all the way down the hill. So here is the hole desription: it is about 240 ft, narrow fairway and about a 30 ft ceiling. Once you clear the narrow fairway, 180ft, it opens up a bit and then there is a large downhill to the right. The pin is situated on the hill, its about 40 degrees. I throw backhand, with a little bit of anhyzer to turnover and come back to avoid all the trees. So my question is what disc do you recommend that will land on a hill and won't roll?

HPP Element.

I really think it is more the throw though, something that will land flat would be the key.

Yeah, its hard to choose one the will land flat because the disc is is coming down to the left and the hill goes down to the right, so its kind of a perpendicular angle.

Why not throw sidearm? Or better yet, a comet. It will go straighter longer and land flat better than any mid I've thrown. Or beat that buzzz in to do the same thing.

I would just beat up that buzzz some more to get it to hit and stick, it sounds like one of those that once it hits it's kinda random as to whether it'll roll or not. If you're already able to put the disc right where you want to on the hole then stay with that because I seem to doubt that you'll be rolling away every time.

The disc that surely doesn't roll is a turbo putt. that thing does not roll at all.

It,s too tight to throw side arm, also if I did that there is a chance that I would miss the landing completely and it would float down the hill.

mickas might have the right answer. But even the softest discs will roll on occasion. I am not so sure it is the disc as much as it is the technique of how you throw the shot. Obviously getting the disc to land flat would be great so those who reccomended that kind of disc are on the right track. There are a couple holes on the Front 18 at La Mirada where the hill can come into play on approach shots. It didn't matter what I tried everything seemed to roll away. Eventually I learned that you have to keep the disc low to the ground and land it short. The idea is to get it to the ground and then let the disc roll to the basket. By keeping it low you allow the edge of the disc on the downward part of the hill to grab which should then force the disc to roll almost straight back. This is of course assuming that the natural flight of the disc has it fading into the hill rather than down the hill as you described with your initial post. It is a shot that takes some getting used to because if you land it short they have a tendancy not to roll very far but with just a little more they can still roll pretty far past the hole and hopefully not down the hill though it happens from time to time. Hope this helps.

I haven't had too many problems with my Rocs rolling away. Although, I am pretty conscious of playing them flat or into the hillside like TalbotTrojan suggested. A well-placed putter also sits down quite nicely too.

i also believe that any disc will roll given the right situation
i've had my bag roll down a hill a few times....

are you right handed? i assume so since you didn't mention other wise
i dont see it being "easy" to roll anything that doesnt land anhyser, i say play the percentages and keep throwin the same way,
if it always rolls then lay up or ace it!

turbo putt? really?? first not legal, second to use it on a drive is ludacris LOL, might as well tee off with the wheel, it does roll... but it'll roll less than any other disc in my bag
haha

I'd figure out a way to play the hole to minimize roll. That will do a lot more good than searching for the magic round thing that doesn't roll.

I think the FLX plastic helps the disc to stay where it lands. Most of the momentum of the drop is absorbed by the flex in the disc and it stays put most of the time.

Latest posts