• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nonmember Ratings

jenb

* Ace Member *
I recall someone mentioning that TDs are sent ratings of nonmembers who have played previous pdga tournaments so the TD can make sure they are in the proper division. Is that true?

Someone I know playing one of her first tournaments this weekend (WGE) mentioned that there is a nonmember registered in her division who received a rating that is too high for that division in a previous tournament almost 4 months ago. I checked, and it's true. She seems (per google) to have played only one tournament and it was one round. Her one round rating would be too high for the division she's registered in. The PDGA ratings faq says one round rating is enough to calculate a rating. So if it's true that the TD will be informed of that rating and is supposed to move her up, and if it doesn't happen, will the PDGA catch it on the back end?

The PDGA Director of Event Support may have approved the player entering that division. They are allowed to do so under Comp Manual 2.02 Exceptions.

Highly unlikely.
True, but it happened several times under Big Dog and before his tenure in cases like this when a player only had one rated round. That's what lead to drafting some of the other 2.02 exception rules over 20 years.

The PDGA Director of Event Support may have approved the player entering that division. They are allowed to do so under Comp Manual 2.02 Exceptions.

Chuck, wouldn't someone who only has one rated round (ever) not yet have a player rating?

I believe this only works with non-current-members. For someone who's never been a member, there is no rating available to TDs.

Sorry, but I'm mildly confused. By "nonmember" do you mean this individual doesn't have a PDGA number? Without a PDGA number that player isn't going to have a rating. They may have played in a sanctioned event previously and shot a rated round or two during that event but until they pay for their membership they aren't officially ranked.

If you stick to B tier events and up you won't run into this issue since everyone competing in those events has to have a current PDGA membership.

Sorry, but I'm mildly confused. By "nonmember" do you mean this individual doesn't have a PDGA number? Without a PDGA number that player isn't going to have a rating. They may have played in a sanctioned event previously and shot a rated round or two during that event but until they pay for their membership they aren't officially ranked.

If you stick to B tier events and up you won't run into this issue since everyone competing in those events has to have a current PDGA membership.

I was led to believe that even nonmembers have a super secret tracked rating communicated to TDs. But it relies on them using the same name in previous tournaments. Something that has come up in the past, locally.

I was led to believe that even nonmembers have a super secret tracked rating communicated to TDs. But it relies on them using the same name in previous tournaments. Something that has come up in the past, locally.
Could be a new thing but not before 2019.

Could be a new thing but not before 2019.

Well, crap. I guess I misunderstood. If this woman wins the WGE, would it matter if, as a nonmember, she previously played a PDGA tournament and got a rating higher than the division cap (16 points higher)?

Well, crap. I guess I misunderstood. If this woman wins the WGE, would it matter if, as a nonmember, she previously played a PDGA tournament and got a rating higher than the division cap (16 points higher)?
If I understand you correctly, she and others were able to view her unofficial rated round after the event, but that rating was never processed officially for the monthly update because she was not yet a PDGA member? In which case, she does not yet have a PDGA rating. Note that several hundred women around the world will be playing in the WGE who are not yet PDGA members. Some may be bagging but most will be entering a division barely at or above their skill level. Of course, encouraging more women to participate is one of the fundamental reasons behind the WGE. So, is this player with an unofficial rated round important in the big picture here?

There is no such thing. I have done this for years on my own, but there are too many people with the same names to make it reliable on a large scale. Easiest way to search for non-members in previous events is to use the google command to narrow a search to a web site:

site:pdga.com John Doe

If a TD has data that the player should not be in division (and the player is not a member), then yes the TD can bump the player into the appropriate division. As far as WGE rules go, I don't know.

My friend has played in 3 events recently and has a PDGA number and is current. She initially said she would not play the WGE "because of all the baggers." I looked into her complaint, which is what brought this situation to my attention. She's already rated more than 100 points below the lowest division cap and finds it discouraging that nonmembers who would have been given a rating above the cap (if they had bought memberships) are in the same division as her. So I'm just looking into it to see if it is a legit concern. Not that it would make a difference in her cashing. But why buy a membership when not buying one is an advantage?

It would be nice if UDisc could guesstimate one's rating even if no tournament is played - based on recorded scores.

You can do that here in DGCR. :D Just enter rounds using the scorebook here, and the 'Scratch Score Estimate (SSE)' feature will calculate round and player ratings for you. ;)

Latest posts