• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

I'm usually pretty quick to offer a play-through. I take my 7 year old out a lot of times, and that takes some time. Even when out with my teenagers and/or my buddies, I'm not interested in jogging. This is a leisure sport for me and would rather wait than be waited on.
But there's a flip side to the courtesy. I've let a smaller group play through on a few separate occasions, 2-3 vs our 4-5 man group, they say thanks, and then proceed to throw multiple drives, lose some, find them, and generally course-crawl. I get it. The reason I let you through was because WE were course crawling as well. If someone lets you play through, PLAY THROUGH. If you want to throw multiples, or know that your game takes longer than most (because of skill) decline the offer.

question ... how come I can't throw as far as I can on the course than when I'm practicing on an open field? that always stumps me. I've been playing for a few months now.

The problem is between MY ears.

I'll bet the problem is between your ears.

;)
Agreed - likely the problem with obstacles in the way inhibit your throw.

To piggy-back off the conversation above re: playing through, I recently played through on a long hole (~500ish, takes me two throws to get in position to putt) whilst the prior group - a big family - was going slowly and dealing with a disc stuck in a tree.

The hole has a wide fairway (100 ft) and the right side is a thick line of trees. ~100 feet beyond the line is the pin. B/c the fairway is wide, I normally throw something that will end up straight ahead, whether it's on a Teebird line, an S curve /w hyzer flip, or flex shot. The latter two have a lots of room to work, and I often empty my bag on this hole for practice when there's no one behind me.

Instead of doing any of that, I threw my driver nose up and it faded out early and way left.

I swear that had people not been standing on the fairway - despite them being a) at or past my max distance and b) being on the right side where it would have been very unlikely I would have hit them b/c fade - I would have thrown it normally been middle of fairway instead of short and left.

hey do you guys ever get bored while playing? what do you do to not be bored?

If you're bored from playing the same ole courses with the same ole discs the same ole way:

Travel to some new courses.
Make up your own tees (as long as you aren't getting in the way of others).
Try out some new discs.
Throw discs you wouldn't normally throw on a certain hole.
Try a putter only, or forehand only, or off hand only round.
Keep score so you each shot matters.

hey do you guys ever get bored while playing? what do you do to not be bored?

Every once in a while, I get a little bored playing some of the crappy courses near me. I'll switch things up and throw lefty or play all rollers off the tee to mix things up. I also love traveling to play new courses, that never gets old and I try to spend one or two weekends a month out playing somewhere new to me.

So, you hear all the Pro's say when you're practicing putting that you shouldn't just stand in one place and quick putt. But, what I think I've learned is by doing that my arm is becoming more fluid and developing greater muscle memory.

I think shuffling your position is good once you get your stroke down, but I do think the quick putt can be very beneficial for beginners.

Seriously, the past 3 days. I've been quick putting during practice, one after the other, from the same spot, by eliminating the variables in terrain and height, I am feeling much more comfortable with my motion now and what works for me.

I made some minor tweaks in between sets: putting downhill, placing my feet at different angles to the target, arching my back more and less, gripping the disc w/different pressure.

I do think applying this strategy can be very beneficial to those of us getting comfortable with what works best for each of us and what all the different putters I've accumulated actually do, i.e. a neutral flight pattern for my putting speed.

**My Two Cents**

Last edited:
So, you hear all the Pro's say when you're practicing putting that you shouldn't just stand in one place and quick putt. But, what I think I've learned is by doing that my arm is becoming more fluid and developing greater muscle memory.

I think shuffling your position is good once you get your stroke down, but I do think the quick putt can be very beneficial for beginners.

Seriously, the past 3 days. I've been quick putting during practice, one after the other, from the same spot, by eliminating the variables in terrain and height, I am feeling much more comfortable with my motion now and what works for me.

I made some minor tweaks in between sets: putting downhill, placing my feet at different angles to the target, arching my back more and less, gripping the disc w/different pressure.

I do think applying this strategy can be very beneficial to those of us getting comfortable with what works best for each of us and what all the different putters I've accumulated actually do, i.e. a neutral flight pattern for my putting speed.

**My Two Cents**

You are a smart guy. I need to try this out.

What is a chucker? I have been a member here for a while but the last 2 years of college I didn't have free time for the forums. I don't remember seeing this term before I took my leave of absence.

Why do some people put their unused discs in zip-lock bags? Does the plastic dry out over time and become brittle? Or is this just to protect the stamp?

Why do some people put their unused discs in zip-lock bags? Does the plastic dry out over time and become brittle? Or is this just to protect the stamp?

Yea, I've always wondered this too. I figured it was for dust, and to keep them clean. Does it preserve the plastic? I'm talking more about collector discs.

Yea, I've always wondered this too. I figured it was for dust, and to keep them clean. Does it preserve the plastic? I'm talking more about collector discs.

It's just a good thing to do with anything you want to preserve, keep dirt, oils, dust, etc off of them. All plastic slowly breaks down over time from exposure to light and can become sticky and/or brittle. So if you really want a disc kept pristine, toss it in a plastic sleeve and keep it in the closet. Kind of OCD thing to do but there it is.

It's just a good thing to do with anything you want to preserve, keep dirt, oils, dust, etc off of them. All plastic slowly breaks down over time from exposure to light and can become sticky and/or brittle. So if you really want a disc kept pristine, toss it in a plastic sleeve and keep it in the closet. Kind of OCD thing to do but there it is.

Building on what BroD said...wait...no, it's pretty much what BroD said.