• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Northwest PA for Memorial Day! (weekend)

BogeyNoMore

* Ace No More *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Solo road tripping to play me some Pittsburgh DG: leaving Motown Fri PM, returnining Mon.
Think I'll be camping at Cooper's Lake Campground, which is about 10-15 min from Moraine State Park (no campsites at Moraine).

The following seem like must play courses:
Moraine State Park
Knob Hill Park
Deer Lakes Park

That might be just Sat, or Sat & Sun... I'm flexible. :popcorn:

Probably hitting Pymatuning State Park, and Lakeshore (Ashtabula, OH) Monday on my way back to the Detroit area.

Comments, suggestions?
Local recommendations for good grub?
Any scheduled tourneys or leagues I might want to play (or avoid)?
Any feedback on Cooper's Lake Campground (Nice? Nasty? Known for human sacrifices, etc)?

Most importantly, anyone game to meet-up for a round, or two... or three?
Always fun to meet fellow DGCR's on the road. :) :cool:

Last edited:
North Country Brewing is a must stop for food and good beer. It is in Slippery Rock which is right down the road from Moraine. I could probably get a round or two or three in with you on Saturday but I am flying out of town on Sunday. Shoot me a PM.

Moraine, Knob and Deer Lakes are definitely mus-play places. Pymatuning is nice also. Ashtabula is sweet too. You could also hit up Roscoe Ewing in Medina, Oh.

North Country brewing for sure when playing Moraine.

Coopers Lake is allright campground. Bear Run and Cheeseman farm are also close. Cheeseman is cheap and is located in McConnells Mills which is beautiful.

Friday night at 6:00 -6:30 start there is a PDGA sanctioned league at Knob Hill also. Cost is $1 for the league, $5 optional for stroke play by division. $1 ace fund, $1 CTP fund, and $1 birdie fund. You can pay $1 - $9 depending on what all you want to play.

Last edited:
I'd recommend one day at Deer Lakes and Knob and another day at Moraine/Pymatuning. You will be tired!!!

That weekend there is an event being planned at Moraine.

Check out www.pfds.org calender for more info on what is going on

Thanks gentlemen!
Won't arrive until late Fri (maybe 8-9 PM'ish), so Fri eve league's out.
Chris: Good luck at the Blockhouse.
PFDS event calandar shows sanctioned event @ Morrains Sat, but nothing Sun

Tistoude: PM'd

Tentative schedule:

Been juggling things around and came up with this:

Sat the 26th: (meeting up with with Tistoude)
• Knob Hill
• Deer Lakes
Optional 3rd round: Schenley (or a 2nd round at Deer Lakes). Schenley gives me a reason to actually go into the city, maybe grab a bite in town and soak up some local flavor. :).

Sun the 27th:
• Moraine
• Pymatuning
Optional: 3rd round: replay Pymatuning or maybe Knob Hill (only half our from campsite)
I could hit Oil City DGC as a 3rd round, but not convinced it's worth the drive. :\?

Mon the 28th (Ohio):
• Lakeshore Park - Astabula, OH
• Sims Park - Euclid, OH
Not optional: Head home

Anyone available meet up Sun or Mon?
:popcorn:

Saturday sounds good, as does Sunday. Though 1 round at Moraine and 1 at Pymatuning and you will most likely be done. And the drive from Pymatuning to Knob is almost 2 hours!! Oil City is sweet, but way out of the way also.

As for Saturday, play Knob then Deer Lakes and Deer Lakes again!! No need to hit up Schenley. Sounds like a fun weekend. Glad I get to do that whenever I want. Hope you enjoy the courses.

By the time you get here, the 9-holes will be completed at the new course just 5 miles from Knob Hill. It is called Linbrook Park. If Tim Stouden ever answers my text messages, he could show you around.

By the time you get here, the 9-holes will be completed at the new course just 5 miles from Knob Hill. It is called Linbrook Park. If Tim Stouden ever answers my text messages, he could show you around.

I thought they were group texts!! I swear I will reply next time!

lol. It's ok Tim. The rest of the front 9 baskets were ordered this week. We got lumber for 9 benches, and tee signs will be installed in the next week.

Once the baskets are in, we should play a round. Think you'll like it.

I believe that I will be available that weekend and can show you around the courses. I love playing with different people and can hit up Moraine, Knob, Deer Lakes, Schenley, Linbrook (haven't played yet), and/or Two Mile Run Extension.

There is a Monthly at Moraine on Saturday that is usually $10 I think. Depending on the weather, about 10 to 15 people show up and the rounds are now rated. From there, you can get down to Knob or Deer Lakes. I would say Moraine and Deer Lakes are must plays with Knob a little below the two of them.

If you really want to get into the city, Schenley is a little pitch and putt course that has a great view of the city on hole 1, but nothing spectacular in the way of a great course. In the city, I would suggest eating at Fat Heads on the South Side (great beer and huge portions of food) or you could do the touristy thing of eating at Primanti Bros.

I put Two Mile Run Extension in the mix of courses also as it is kind of in the area. Although it is only a 9 holer, it has some legit par 4s and 5s that I really enjoy. Oil City is also a fun course, but really in the middle of nowhere. I played Pymatuning over two years ago, so I can't comment on how it is nowadays. It would be too far away for me to come up and play, but I do remember it being fun.

Let me know when you plan on playing and I'll probably join ya.

Lakeshore Park - Astabula, OH and/or Sims Park - Euclid, OH
Anyone up for a round Memorial Day?

Any takers for Morraine / Pymatuning the Sun before?

Been juggling things around and came up with this:

Sat the 26th: (meeting up with with Tistoude)
• Knob Hill
• Deer Lakes
Optional 3rd round: Schenley (or a 2nd round at Deer Lakes). Schenley gives me a reason to actually go into the city, maybe grab a bite in town and soak up some local flavor. :).

Sun the 27th:
• Moraine
• Pymatuning
Optional: 3rd round: replay Pymatuning or maybe Knob Hill (only half our from campsite)
I could hit Oil City DGC as a 3rd round, but not convinced it's worth the drive. :\?

Mon the 28th (Ohio):
• Lakeshore Park - Astabula, OH
• Sims Park - Euclid, OH
Not optional: Head home

Anyone available meet up Sun or Mon?
:popcorn:

I'm probably able to join you for your Deer Lakes or Moraine rounds, PM me times if you'd like to meet up.

Wish I would have seen this before today, I was at lake shore all day yesterday. =(
Have they mowed at pymatuning or was it still in field status? Havent been up there for a couple weeks since they wont mow more than a 20' path for most of the fairways..

I mean Sims is OK, and fit in nicely for a cool down round on the way home, but I don't see how anyone could rate Sims higher than Lake Shore.
local cleveland fanboys

Glad you liked Moraine. We spent a lot of time designing and working on that course. Always makes me smile to hear that someone enjoyed playing it. Next time you are in the area, the new course I am working on should be complete. It's only 5 miles from Knob Hill.

Yeah, Sims is ehhhh?? Lakeshore is beautiful, and fun with the 3 sets of tees.

I was at Pymatuning the other day and it was somewhat mowed. Enough that it was easy enough to find your discs.

Also, there should be a new 9-hole course coming to MK Goddard State Park soon. I just walked the land last week.