• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburgh Area - June 2019 Trip

Future_Primitive

Double Eagle Member
New year, new trip to start planning for our annual DG trip. Having done Michigan, Colorado, Iowa, Virginia, Kansas and Minnesota we are heading to Pennsylvania this year. Looking at 4-6 players, AM3 - AM2 range, Masters age in search of quality courses. We usually do 5 rounds total over 3 days (Thu/Fri/Sat) with some random dubs and singles.

Based on ratings and locations it appears Deer Lakes, Knob Hill and Moraine State Park are all must play courses. Looking to fill in two more courses, be it 9 holes or 18 holes, that are close by and worth playing. Also trying to figure out which ones to try and play two rounds in one day as we will probably do 2 on Thursday, 2 on Friday and one on Saturday. Thanks in advance for the help! :thmbup:

Must Play
* Deer Lakes (18)
* Knob Hill (18)
* Moraine State Park (18)

Deer Lakes, Moraine, and Knob Hill are fantastic courses.

I hope that a local will chime in but here are some suggestions:

North Boundary Park: I would add this to the must-play list. A new course and still rough around the edges but I hear glowing reviews from locals. Not far from Knob Hill, which is on your list.

Linbrook: A challenging 9-hole course, also not far from Knob Hill. This is the list for my next Pittsburgh trip, along with Two Mile Run Extension, another 9-hole course.

Schenley Park: This is a fun spin. Older city course with lovely views of downtown Pittsburgh.

Good luck!

Orange Crush and Seth Burton aren't too terribly far away if you want some fun mountain golf.

Probably a little too far south for this trip. Some of the guys are flying in from Colorado to Pitt airport, couple others like myself may drive. I may hit you up for some info on courses along my travel route from Michigan to Pittsburgh, only a little over 5 hour drive it appears. Definitely gonna stop in Ohio and bag a course or two as I have not played in that state yet. :thmbup:

I'm in Toledo if you wind up stopping nearby. Woodlands Park in Perrysburg is only a few minutes from the Turnpike...

Probably a little too far south for this trip. Some of the guys are flying in from Colorado to Pitt airport, couple others like myself may drive. I may hit you up for some info on courses along my travel route from Michigan to Pittsburgh, only a little over 5 hour drive it appears. Definitely gonna stop in Ohio and bag a course or two as I have not played in that state yet. :thmbup:

Let me know if you want any advice on Ohio courses, I may even be available to meet you for a round or two. I think Schenley Park would also be a good course to pair with the big three you have listed. It's an older park style course, so something a little different than the championship level of the other courses. It's a super fun course and has amazing views of the city from the park. I really enjoyed it for what it is.

No unique answers here. But I have played several courses around The Burg.

Moraine, Deer Lakes, and Knob Hill are no brainers. They are all excellent, with Moraine being my personal favorite course.

Linbrook may only be 9, but it's probably my #1 or #2 nine. I would definitely recommend it. I feel that the hole quality is up there with the big three.

As others have said, too... Schenley is a very different (simpler/shorter/easier?) course then the others. But it is an excellent change of pace.

I haven't played North Boundary yet, but it's definitely in my near future plans. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

Seems like DGCR pretty much agrees thus far.

I also enjoyed the nine at Phillips Park. Not the same kind of course as the others, but another fun change of pace that's close to Schenley and closer to downtown if that interests you at all.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. Leaning towards adding Linbrook DGC and Schenley Park as our other two courses. Sounds like Schenley would be a nice change of pace with some history and scenery as well. And playing Linbrook twice from different tees will make for a nice addition.

Thursday: Moraine (morning rd), lunch break, Linbrook (afternoon rd)
Friday: Deer Lakes (morning rd), lunch break, Schenley Park (afternoon rd)
Saturday: Knob Hill (morning rd)

Might be 2-3 guys flying back out on Saturday so want to be somewhat close to airport that day. Might take the longer way home myself, driving, and swing through West Virginia to bag a course and new state. See how tired I am after a lot of rounds in the summer time, can always get a hotel in WV and drive home Sunday morning.

Once I figure out what day/time I am leaving I will circle back here and hit up the Ohio folks who posted. Need to bag a course or two on my way to PA and playing in Ohio would give me another state to add to my list. Probably going right thru Toledo (approx hour away) on my way, need to Road Trip it out on here and add some stops to my trip.

Local here! I don't have anything really important to add, but if you have any questions, or would like a guide, just let me know!

Thank you! May hit you up as it gets closer to see if there is any possible conflicts with leagues or tournaments. Nice link to the PFDS webpage on the course links, will monitor that as well. Happy to get a chance to play Deer Lakes again after doing a quick 18 holes a few years back.

Thank you! May hit you up as it gets closer to see if there is any possible conflicts with leagues or tournaments. Nice link to the PFDS webpage on the course links, will monitor that as well. Happy to get a chance to play Deer Lakes again after doing a quick 18 holes a few years back.

Honestly, I would not use the website.

It's outdated. If you want the best information, use Facebook and find the PFD Facebook page, and then the Group Pittsburgh Disc Golf Community.

Deer Lakes, Moraine, and Knob Hill are fantastic courses. I like Deer Lakes the best but expect some mud in places depending on the time of the year and/or recent rain.

No unique answers here. But I have played several courses around The Burg.

Moraine, Deer Lakes, and Knob Hill are no brainers. They are all excellent, with Moraine being my personal favorite course.

Linbrook may only be 9, but it's probably my #1 or #2 nine. I would definitely recommend it. I feel that the hole quality is up there with the big three.

As others have said, too... Schenley is a very different (simpler/shorter/easier?) course then the others. But it is an excellent change of pace.

I haven't played North Boundary yet, but it's definitely in my near future plans. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

Seems like DGCR pretty much agrees thus far.

I also enjoyed the nine at Phillips Park. Not the same kind of course as the others, but another fun change of pace that's close to Schenley and closer to downtown if that interests you at all.

I agree with everything. Phillips was surprisingly enjoyable for me. Moraine and Deer Lakes are definitely the "can't miss" courses.

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. Leaning towards adding Linbrook DGC and Schenley Park as our other two courses. Sounds like Schenley would be a nice change of pace with some history and scenery as well. And playing Linbrook twice from different tees will make for a nice addition.

Thursday: Moraine (morning rd), lunch break, Linbrook (afternoon rd)
Friday: Deer Lakes (morning rd), lunch break, Schenley Park (afternoon rd)
Saturday: Knob Hill (morning rd)

Looks fun. Be advised that Linbrook may take as much time and energy as Schenley or even Knob Hill. Yes it's a 9-hole, but it gets that good rating by being long, technical, and physically demanding. Thursday and Friday will both be exhausting.

North Boundary

Having played Moraine, Deer Lakes, Knob Hill, and North Boundary, I would rank them in the following order of must play.

1. Deer Lakes
2. Moraine
3. North Boundary

4. Knob Hill

Even though North Boundary is still quite rough, it should be better by June and is a much more epic course than Knob Hill which I found to be a rather large step below Deer Lakes, Moraine, and North Boundary.

Having played Moraine, Deer Lakes, Knob Hill, and North Boundary, I would rank them in the following order of must play.

1. Deer Lakes
2. Moraine
3. North Boundary

4. Knob Hill

Even though North Boundary is still quite rough, it should be better by June and is a much more epic course than Knob Hill which I found to be a rather large step below Deer Lakes, Moraine, and North Boundary.

Interesting, guess the new-ness of North Boundary made my shy away from it originally. Looks like I may need to reconsider that one. Good thing I got a 5 month jump on it so I can flip flop a few times before committing to final schedule. Thanks for the info and will definitely look into North Boundary. :thmbup:

I agree with everything. Phillips was surprisingly enjoyable for me. Moraine and Deer Lakes are definitely the "can't miss" courses.

Looks fun. Be advised that Linbrook may take as much time and energy as Schenley or even Knob Hill. Yes it's a 9-hole, but it gets that good rating by being long, technical, and physically demanding. Thursday and Friday will both be exhausting.

Thanks for this info, always a tough call on how much quality DG to crunch into a tight schedule. Definitely want to enjoy ourselves and play some top notch DG, but also need to realize we aren't that young anymore.

Wonder if we might be better off doing Moraine/Phillips (day 1), then Deer Lakes/Schenley (day 2) and either Knob Hill or North Boundary last (day 3). Looks like we will need to monitor the weather and see how hot it is going to get and adjust accordingly.

Thanks for this info, always a tough call on how much quality DG to crunch into a tight schedule. Definitely want to enjoy ourselves and play some top notch DG, but also need to realize we aren't that young anymore.

Wonder if we might be better off doing Moraine/Phillips (day 1), then Deer Lakes/Schenley (day 2) and either Knob Hill or North Boundary last (day 3). Looks like we will need to monitor the weather and see how hot it is going to get and adjust accordingly.

Phillips isn't quite nice enough to bump Linbrook. It was probably enjoyable mainly because I was expecting so little. It's a beautiful little park with views of downtown Pittsburgh, with fun but ordinary golf. For Linbrook, I'd say check in with locals (plenty in Pittsburgh, and you could message Chris Deitzel) or hopefully the DGCR course status. It can get rough if not mowed, so that could make your decision easy as it would be detrimental to the experience. New Boundary will be convenient location wise, at least from Moraine.

You really can't go wrong with Pittsburgh disc golf.