• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburgh Area - June 2019 Trip

Time for an update bump to this vacation thread. Looking like we will be playing couple courses in Ohio on our way to Pittsburgh, with an overnight stop in West Virginia and a morning round of golf there before making the skip over to Pittsburgh for our DG 2019 extravaganza. Here is the updated course schedule for our 3 day stop.

Thursday - 18 holes Schenley Park and 18 holes Deer Lake
Friday - 18 holes Two Mile Ext (red/white) and 18 holes at Moraine State Park
Saturday morning - 18 holes Knob Hill then head back to Michigan.

As it gets closer, looking at late June, will post to see about any tournaments or leagues we may need to plan around. Sounds like Schenley gets busy so thought it best to knock it out Thursday morning and hopefully avoid busy time. Historical factor and scenic views were appealing to kick it off here. Deer Lakes is a no brainer.

Staying near the airport thought 2 Mile Ext would break up the drive to Moraine, get in 18 holes from red/white tees in the morning. Then skip over to Moraine for an afternoon round. Then finish at Knob Hill on Saturday morning as it is close to the airport for few guys that are flying out later Saturday or Sunday.

Others mentioned North Boundary (http://www.twp.cranberry.pa.us/2658/Disc-Golf-and-Nature-Trail) which is gearing up for the big unveiling.

That was a tough one to leave out, along with Linbrook, but limited time makes for some tough decisions. Being such a new course and from the sounds of it pretty friggin long thought it might be best to skip it this time. We are all 40+ years old and with a couple teachers (summers off) it forces us to play in June when it can get really hot & humid. Probably going to be 5 of us as well which can make for slow play. Just thought that was going to be a challenge to play that along with another 18 hole course in the same day.

Definitely going to add it to my Wish List. Good chance I drive through PA again on some other future trip and will give it a go. Gonna let you locals break it in first. :D

Time for an update bump to this vacation thread. Looking like we will be playing couple courses in Ohio on our way to Pittsburgh, with an overnight stop in West Virginia and a morning round of golf there before making the skip over to Pittsburgh for our DG 2019 extravaganza. Here is the updated course schedule for our 3 day stop.

Thursday - 18 holes Schenley Park and 18 holes Deer Lake
Friday - 18 holes Two Mile Ext (red/white) and 18 holes at Moraine State Park
Saturday morning - 18 holes Knob Hill then head back to Michigan.

Where in West Virginia? Do you know what morning?

The Pittsburgh leg looks reasonable to me. Moraine and Deer Lakes are the bestest, so I just hope you won't be tired!

Where in West Virginia? Do you know what morning?

The Pittsburgh leg looks reasonable to me. Moraine and Deer Lakes are the bestest, so I just hope you won't be tired!

Current plan is to arrive in the northern tip of WV on Tuesday night after driving through Ohio and snagging two courses. Then wake up Wed (6.25.19) morning and play Tomlinson State Run Park and then skip over to Pittsburgh for lunch while we wait for other friends to fly in. Still waiting on flight info from the Colorado & Florida guys.

Looks like a good opportunity to snag some new courses and states played as I have yet to play Ohio or WV. That northern sliver of WV was pretty close to Pittsburgh so we figured why not snag WV on this trip. So we got a hotel approx 15 min from the park so we can pretty much wake up and play before getting to our final destination. :thmbup:

Grand Vue Park is also in the northern neck of West Virginia, just off I-70, and has 3 courses on site. Yellow is an easy, fun putter-mid course.

Black is a good, tough course but probably doesn't fit your preference for an easy walk. I have not played White but the description includes the word "grueling". Lots of elevation in WV.

You should have a fabulous trip. Lots of excellent courses in and around Pittsburgh.

What are you Ohio course choices?

Disclaimer: The two Ohio courses were picked strictly based on being close to our route to PA and spaced out a bit so we can drive approx 2 hours, play, drive 2 hours, play drive 1 hour sleep. Also wanted them to be semi open and not super challenging as we are doing a 5 man, 5 round 3 day tourney in PA. Last year we road tripped to Minnesota and played four courses (Lemon Lake, The Canyons, Wilderness & Zobel) in 3 states in 90+ deg heat in about 36 hours. By the time our Minnesota tourney was starting I was spent from the road trip. :doh:

I used the VIP Road Trip feature (see pic) and settled on Walsh Park (Fremont) and Hudson Springs (Hudson). Just wanted to bag some courses in Ohio for this trip, will definitely do a formal trip to Ohio for the higher rated courses in the future. These two were very close to our route, believe less than 5 miles, which was very appealing.

Attachments

• MI_PA_Map.jpg
    MI_PA_Map.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 5

I used the VIP Road Trip feature (see pic) and settled on Walsh Park (Fremont) and Hudson Springs (Hudson). Just wanted to bag some courses in Ohio for this trip, will definitely do a formal trip to Ohio for the higher rated courses in the future. These two were very close to our route, believe less than 5 miles, which was very appealing.

Walsh Park is a solid course with a good mix of hole distances. Not enough woods for my liking , but I love to hit trees. Hole 3 is a short version of a top of the world type shot. lots of fun.

Hudson is an old school course which can get crowded but the flow is usually pretty good. Worst thing about it, it sits right on top of I80. Which is a convenience for your trip.

Walsh Park is a solid course with a good mix of hole distances. Not enough woods for my liking , but I love to hit trees. Hole 3 is a short version of a top of the world type shot. lots of fun.

Hudson is an old school course which can get crowded but the flow is usually pretty good. Worst thing about it, it sits right on top of I80. Which is a convenience for your trip.

Thanks Joe! I am with you on liking wooded courses we have here in the midwest. My bro is coming from Colorado and needs to adjust to the stability change near sea level so wanted to start on a somewhat open course or two. Got a feeling we will get to say hi to a lot of trees in PA. :D

Hoping by hitting Hudson on a Tuesday around 3:00, give or take, we can avoid any crowds. Sounds similar to Bandemer Park in Ann Arbor, old school course, usually crowded, sits right under highway 14 and has a train right next to it.

Getting closer as is the excitement of another DG journey. Any issue with playing Knob Hill early on a Saturday morning? Trying to avoid crowds and getting in the way of others with our 5-some. Hitting Schenley, Deer Lakes and Moraine during the week with just Knob Hill on the weekend. Looking like the June 22nd weekend if that helps, trying to avoid leagues and tournaments. Thanks!

Also trying to get Schenley out the way early Thursday morning, sounds like other park goers might be our biggest concern here. Planning on kicking off our journey at Schenley and playing this old course for round one.

Any of your crew carrying the DGCR travel tag? I've been itching to trade mine (pristine #189) that hasn't left da 'burgh yet :)

Getting closer as is the excitement of another DG journey. Any issue with playing Knob Hill early on a Saturday morning? Trying to avoid crowds and getting in the way of others with our 5-some. Hitting Schenley, Deer Lakes and Moraine during the week with just Knob Hill on the weekend. Looking like the June 22nd weekend if that helps, trying to avoid leagues and tournaments. Thanks!

Also trying to get Schenley out the way early Thursday morning, sounds like other park goers might be our biggest concern here. Planning on kicking off our journey at Schenley and playing this old course for round one.

I did not see this thread. Have a great time, FP. We stayed at a resort called Seven Springs on our last trip out there. I am sure you have your accommodations set, but this was a nice place. Restaurants and bars on site, to avoid any post round driving. A nice pool for a few post round beers and a good cool down. A bit pricey, but for others heading out this way, it is worth taking a look at. The courses are amazing, you guys will have a riot.

I did not see this thread. Have a great time, FP. We stayed at a resort called Seven Springs on our last trip out there. I am sure you have your accommodations set, but this was a nice place. Restaurants and bars on site, to avoid any post round driving. A nice pool for a few post round beers and a good cool down. A bit pricey, but for others heading out this way, it is worth taking a look at. The courses are amazing, you guys will have a riot.

Bummer, wish I would have checked with you sooner. Looks like the Pennsylvania Beer Festival is being held there that weekend. Might need to drive back Sunday instead of Saturday. :hfive: :D

Wedding-Singer-doomed-to-wander-the-planet-alone-forever.jpg

This is how my tag feels.

No issues with Knob on a Saturday barring there are no tournaments on the weekend you arrive. To my knowledge, there are none there for the weekend of the 22nd.

One word of advice - we've gotten a TON of rain lately. Expect Knob and Deer Lakes to have some mud. Moraine and Schenley might have some as well, but they're usually a little better draining than Knob or DL.

No issues with Knob on a Saturday barring there are no tournaments on the weekend you arrive. To my knowledge, there are none there for the weekend of the 22nd.

One word of advice - we've gotten a TON of rain lately. Expect Knob and Deer Lakes to have some mud. Moraine and Schenley might have some as well, but they're usually a little better draining than Knob or DL.

Thanks! Sounds like our weather here in the mitten, think it rained 23 of the 31 days in May. Will keep an eye on things and plan accordingly. At least mud is easier to deal with than a conflicting tournament so I can live with it. Pack the gore-tex shoes too. :hfive:

Latest posts