• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburgh Area - June 2019 Trip

Mission accomplished! Managed to stick to the gameplan for the most part with only having to swap out one course. Only seemed to rain when we were not playing, so we didnt have to deal with rain coming down which left us dealing with just the puddles and mud left behind. Appreciate all the feedback generated by this thread, everyone enjoyed the courses a lot and Moraine was even better than expected. Thanks!!!

We ended up sticking mostly to the plan with a slight change near the end. You guys got so much rain, along with West Virginia, it made for some slick ground and muddy walks. Some way, somehow it never rained when we played, just before or right after.

Tues (6.18) made our way from MI to Ohio, played a couple courses right off of i80. Walsh Park and Hudson Springs. Both were kind of similar in that the front 9 was easier and more open while the back 9's were more challenging and tree filled. But was a good warm up round for me and my brother. Nice stop at The Garrison brewery for lunch, largest onion rings I have ever seen.

Wed (6.19) woke up in WV, played Tomlinson Run before heading to PA. Interesting course, first 6 holes or so around the parking lot area and then the back 12 take you into the woods on a side of a mountain with a raging river down below. Natural pads were tough but course was kind of pretty with elevation, river and a bit of fog. Headed to PA to meet buddy near Knob Hill who was visiting family. Lunch at the House of a 1000 Beers was nice then off for a quick 9 at Linbrook. Little bit overgrown and maybe a touch more challenging than expected even tossing shorts.

Thur (6.20) Started at Schenley Park and the group (5 of us) enjoyed the course a lot. Kind of wide open early and then some tighter lines and fun up/downhill shots through trees. Teepads were solid and ground wasnt too bad. A quick lunch on the go break and off to Deer Lakes. Rained on our way to Deer Lakes and looked like it would be a miserable round, but as soon as we got near the park the rain stopped. Think holes #1 and #3 were pretty rough footing wise, grassy holes were mostly fine. Anything with dirt/muddy fairways was a bit tricky but we made it. Wish it had been nicer so the other guys could have seen it at its best. I played it years ago when it was bone dry and loved it.

Fri (6.21), we dropped Two Miles Ext due to rubber pads and all the rain overnight. Moved to Knob Hill simply for concrete pads despite reviews warning of slow drainage. Pads were helpful, some rough spots with standing water and mud made some of it hard to play. Some fun shots, the little river running in spots was nice and the parking lot uphill shot was fun. Enjoyable round and had course to ourselves. Then it was on to Moraine St Park and with no rain Friday it was pretty dry by the time we got there in midafternoon. Easily the favorite course of the trip, that kind of course that just makes you smile each hole when you see the manicured fairways and routes they want you to go. Very fair but also challenging, one of my Top 5 courses I have ever played.

Sat (6.22) was the wildcard, after some dinner and drinks on Friday we ended up at Sugarcreek Park. Not horrible, but not much TLC given either. Was a bit overgrown, understandable with rain, and lots of trees made things challenging. Seeing a 4' or 5' snake near one of the pads put a little fear into trampling into the rough on wayward shots. Some fun gimmicks, island holes, elevated basket, swinging basket, platform tees, etc... was something new and unexpected.

Ended up playing 155 holes, 9 courses, 3 states over the course of 5 days. Left MI on Tuesday morning and returned home Saturday night. Less than a full tank of gas for the 330 mile trip each way kept the cost down. Adding Moraine to my DG bucket list was awesome. Enjoyed the bridges, rivers and mountain roads around that area of OH, WV and PA. Very scenic road trip for sure.

PS: Any of you PA folks know a Matt Burdy #74706 we found his Lucid TRUTH on our trip. No ph# or contact info, just name and PDGA #. Happy to get it back to him if I can find an address to ship it.

*Might also be a star Destroyer on Linbrook my brother lost same hole we found the Truth. Probably no name or # knowing him, think it was orange with McBeth stamp and probably in the 150 gm weight range. Downhill, dogleg left hole with kind of swampy ground around the basket area. Was a bit overgrown due to the rain you all had been getting. Thanks!

I played N Boundary last Weds, it's a monster of a course! Really hard and LONG, more uphill than downhill somehow. Steep climbs thru the woods along with plenty of blind shots. It took me an hour to play 6 holes solo being delayed looking for discs more than once in the tall grass/weeds. I played 10.5 holes and walked the rest just to see it. Be prepared, it's brutal.

North Boundary is a beast...twice as much effort to do that course than Deer Lakes...it has extreme elevation changes...hope that Worlds comes back to Pittsburgh and does 2 rounds each at Moraine, Deer Lakes, and North Boundary...

Latest posts