• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Novice/Rec Merch Payout vs. Int/Adv Trophy Only

18Down

Par Member
I think we have it backwards. As I understood it in the past the first "AM" tournaments gave out merch as prizes because the "AMs" were new to the sport. They only had so many discs and could use a boost to their bag to help their game. Today AMs are split up into 4 divisions. Now only Novice/Rec divisions have these competitors. Int/Adv have players with many years of experience, as I do. I like the competition/ experience of the tourney not huge entry fees with double the value in player packs. I have a sh!t ton of merch that I don't need. The novice players need merch payouts. Int/Adv should have trophies. What do ya think? It makes sense to me.:popcorn:

I think allowing the top 10% of Advanced payout, and the top 20% of intermediate payout and top 30% of Rec payout would be an efficient way to go. Then again, I like their new system of it being like the top 3 of the higher ones. (shouldn't get to suck and get discs)

It should be top 25% of all divisions (or something there of. I do likeErthbndr's model). I dont care for merch all THAT much, but at the same time paying out to top half of rec is rediculous. You should be rewarded for playing well, not doing good enough to finish 8th and still get enough to grab a couple discs)

It should be top 25% of all divisions (or something there of. I do likeErthbndr's model). I dont care for merch all THAT much, but at the same time paying out to top half of rec is rediculous. You should be rewarded for playing well, not doing good enough to finish 8th and still get enough to grab a couple discs)

Like I tied for 6th at my first tournament and I got merch. I was like.... wut? We split $90? My brother got 10th, and got 35 or something lol. I was like, this is illogical. We played like crap, we should be walking away with players pack(which I'm not entirely sure is a good idea either), and mental note to play better next time.

lol is this to do with the mco charging $75 for advanced? and its s btier? cuz it's fuggin ridiculous.
$75 3 rounds.. btier
bowling green $60 4 rounds atier.

lol is this to do with the mco charging $75 for advanced? and its s btier? cuz it's fuggin ridiculous.
$75 3 rounds.. btier
bowling green $60 4 rounds atier.

Idk man, but it's getting expensive lol. I'm going back to playing minis and weeklys until I can play something other than rec. I'll probably play Disc GolfStation tournaments. They are cheaper :p

It does have to do with overpriced tournaments, exactly. The TD always tries to get you a player pack thats worth "double" the entry fee. Those huge entry fees are silly. And the work it takes to get a player pack at double that value is silly too. But then none of the retailers could unload all their plastic in one day. The retailers control the market and then they say well I usually just break even after the cost to travel set up blah blah blah. Pay the park fees, purchase some trophies and lets play! Give the noobs all the plastic, win or not. Not Int/Adv divisions with competitors with several years of experience and closets full of merch.

i was talking about the music city open in Nashville. $75 for advanced $50 for rec and thats with a pdga number! its a 3 round b tier... its getting ridiculous around here. think ill drop my rating go fo rec n save $25. i dont want plastic anyway just trophies or a cool hat;)

It does have to do with overpriced tournaments, exactly. The TD always tries to get you a player pack thats worth "double" the entry fee. Those huge entry fees are silly. And the work it takes to get a player pack at double that value is silly too. But then none of the retailers could unload all their plastic in one day. The retailers control the market and then they say well I usually just break even after the cost to travel set up blah blah blah. Pay the park fees, purchase some trophies and lets play! Give the noobs all the plastic, win or not. Not Int/Adv divisions with competitors with several years of experience and closets full of merch.

Be aware that you're proposing a wholesale change based on a regional issue. In my area, very little of this applies.

The notion of paying merch to the lower divisions but not to higher divisions also has the side effect of encouraging and rewarding sandbagging.

How about we just concede that organizing a competition is a service that should be compensated for just like anything else? We could just hand over to the TD whatever the expected wholesale to retail margin they would be getting from the merchandise plus any applicable fees. Just eliminate plastic across the board. No payout, no players packs. If people need extra discs, they can always be sold at tourney central.

Yeah, I didn't think so.

How about we just concede that organizing a competition is a service that should be compensated for just like anything else? We could just hand over to the TD whatever the expected wholesale to retail margin they would be getting from the merchandise plus any applicable fees. Just eliminate plastic across the board. No payout, no players packs. If people need extra discs, they can always be sold at tourney central.

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Ah, if only someone had started such a campaign 30 years ago.....

Yeah, I didn't think so.

You make too much sense Scarp. Such logic is strictly prohibited.

Ah, if only someone had started such a campaign 30 years ago.....

This.

Yeah, I didn't think so.

I'm good with this.

This is exactly how I'd like it to be.

I think allowing the top 10% of Advanced payout, and the top 20% of intermediate payout and top 30% of Rec payout would be an efficient way to go. Then again, I like their new system of it being like the top 3 of the higher ones. (shouldn't get to suck and get discs)

but then sandbaggers will happen.

but then sandbaggers will happen.

Sandbaggers happen regardless. Some people are too into getting discs than they are playing the game for sport.

At the bicentennial tournament, there was a guy playing intermediate who would have won advanced with his score, just for the $$ to get the sniper bag... He even admitted it.