• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ocean Isle, NC

vonDrehle

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Going to be in Ocean Isle June 4th - June 11th. Hoping to try and play some of the courses around. I would prob. be willing to go as far as Castle Hayne, don't really have the urge to try out Tupelo.

Let me know if anyone wants to try and get together for a round, will be early morning so I don't melt. Might also try and stop by Luther Britt on my way back to Raleigh.

Sounds good.
Come meet me at Castle Hayne.
If you haven't played it, it'll be a treat.

I recommend playing the two Wilmington courses. Castle Hayne is a MUST. IMO, one of the best in NC. Haven't played Joe Eakes but I've heard good things about it. Brother Dave has played it, he really enjoyed it.

If you don't mind driving to the end of the earth, Glenburnie Park in New Bern is good.

Avoid Bill Smith Park...UNLESS you really have an itch to play 9 "WTF" holes and love alligators.

I recommend playing the two Wilmington courses. Castle Hayne is a MUST. IMO, one of the best in NC. Haven't played Joe Eakes but I've heard good things about it. Brother Dave has played it, he really enjoyed it.

If you don't mind driving to the end of the earth, Glenburnie Park in New Bern is good.

Avoid Bill Smith Park...UNLESS you really have an itch to play 9 "WTF" holes and love alligators.

Lol I am definitely not a fan of alligators... Though I do love my Star Gator :hfive:. If nothing else I will be giving Castle Hayne a play or two.

You must really have the fever if you're AT THE BEACH and you're willing to drive over an hour to play some disc.

Castle Hayne is fine, as noted above and in the ratings. Not spectacular, just fine. I think a 4.29 average rating is generous, but that's just my opinion. Honestly, it's a good stop on your way to or from the beach off of 40 (and easy access to/from 140), but I would never drive all the way from Ocean Isle to play and then back to Ocean Isle.

Kure is even more out-of-the-way. The roads are slow and littered with lights, and then add traffic and/or a ferry ride on top of that.

The 2.63 rating for Smith at OKI is also generous. If you're actually in Southport or near the bridge on Oak Island, it's a fun thing to do at 8am before the wife and kids get going. But if you're at Ocean Isle and have to drive 20 minutes -- meh, not so much.

You must really have the fever if you're AT THE BEACH and you're willing to drive over an hour to play some disc.

Castle Hayne is fine, as noted above and in the ratings. Not spectacular, just fine. I think a 4.29 average rating is generous, but that's just my opinion. Honestly, it's a good stop on your way to or from the beach off of 40 (and easy access to/from 140), but I would never drive all the way from Ocean Isle to play and then back to Ocean Isle.

Kure is even more out-of-the-way. The roads are slow and littered with lights, and then add traffic and/or a ferry ride on top of that.

The 2.63 rating for Smith at OKI is also generous. If you're actually in Southport or near the bridge on Oak Island, it's a fun thing to do at 8am before the wife and kids get going. But if you're at Ocean Isle and have to drive 20 minutes -- meh, not so much.

I'm actually not a big Beach person, damn sand, so playing some disc golf on my vacation sounds very nice :D.

About how far of a drive from Ocean Isle is it to Castle Hayne?

I'm actually not a big Beach person

I have fun throwing a 175g ultrastar out over the water and letting the winds blow it back in to me. Maybe more of a workout than you're looking for.

Bocce at low tide with a quality heavy-duty bocce set is always good, too.

I also have fun sitting on my butt drinking beer -- but I understand that's not for everyone either!

I have fun throwing a 175g ultrastar out over the water and letting the winds blow it back in to me. Maybe more of a workout than you're looking for.

Bocce at low tide with a quality heavy-duty bocce set is always good, too.

I also have fun sitting on my butt drinking beer -- but I understand that's not for everyone either!

Lol I sit on my butt drinking beer in the mountains :D. At the beach I need some of those fancy girly frozen drinks :thmbup:.

Bocce is a good idea I might go buy a cheap set out at Dicks.

You might as well swing down 133 on your way back from Castle Hayne and hit the OKI course. Will only add 30 mins to your trip, or 60 if you play both sets of tees. It'll give you a good laugh, let you add your review to the other WTF reviews, and also let you see a real gator in the wild.

No no, here you go -- just plan to drive up to Castle Hayne, then drive down through Wilmington (get some lunch) and hit Kure, then hop the ferry across to Southport and hit the OKI course. That's a good loop.

http://goo.gl/maps/9Mlq

You might as well swing down 133 on your way back from Castle Hayne and hit the OKI course. Will only add 30 mins to your trip, or 60 if you play both sets of tees. It'll give you a good laugh, let you add your review to the other WTF reviews, and also let you see a real gator in the wild.

No no, here you go -- just plan to drive up to Castle Hayne, then drive down through Wilmington (get some lunch) and hit Kure, then hop the ferry across to Southport and hit the OKI course. That's a good loop.

http://goo.gl/maps/9Mlq

That def. looks like it might be a good disc golf day :hfive:.

Also, Bocce set purchased :D. I've played it on my PS3 move but never for real. Also purchased 2 Mini Kegs of New Castle :).

Castle Hayne is fine, as noted above and in the ratings. Not spectacular, just fine. I think a 4.29 average rating is generous, but that's just my opinion.

Oh, you sir are stepping over the line. :mad: :p

Actually, if you consider that Castle Hayne has very little elevation to work with, it's an amazing course. I've played very few courses with legit par 4s and 5s that were as well designed and fair as the Castle. Okay, my homeboy bias is satiated.

Bill Smith is overrated, it's insanely short, technical, and the only discs you need is a putter and whatever you OH and FH with. The locals love it to death though. I heard they were putting in a regular 18 nearby.

VD, if you find yourself in Shalotte, eat pizza at Mama Bravas or a burger at Duffer's, seriously good eats. Duffer's has the 2nd best burger I've ever eaten. #1 belongs to the Harp in downtown Wilmington, they have insanely good food. I used to live in Wilmington so I can go all day recommending food, bars, etc.