• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Octane

Some videos are out, but it's always good to have more input. I got to throw it and man does this thing bomb. I can max close to 500 with 110% power. I could get the Octane 430 with about 70% power. This thing just goes and goes and goes. Reminds me of a beat in Destroyer: good amount of turn, with a strong, consistent fade at the end. The extra dome on the new molds adds a bunch of glide too. Great great release.

How is the distance on this comparing to your other distance drivers?

I'm looking for something that could maybe extend my distance from 400-410 with a great 169g wraith.

How is the distance on this comparing to your other distance drivers?

I'm looking for something that could maybe extend my distance from 400-410 with a great 169g wraith.

For me, it compares to a beat in OS driver (Destroyer, Force, Outlaw, etc, etc.). It has a lot of glide and will turn with some power, but fade back hard. I could max around 490-500 with one of those, so I think you would really like it. It'll probably hit the same line as your Wraith, just fly faster.

Thanks for posting that. Good video. Discs look interesting, but I dunno if my Tern can be beat out of the bag...

Ya, that is my problem too. My Terns are so consistent (for my level of consistency anyway ;) ). I might throw another Disc a tiny bit farther, but not as consistently long or accurate. Recently tried the Westside "Destiny", which is a really easy Speed 14 disc to throw. Got a couple throws go really long, then threw my Tern and went 5 feet shorter, but a lot straighter...

Still gonna have to give these a try ;) Really like the Wave for long turnovers and hyzer flips, just a bit more stable and it might be at least an alternative to my Terns..

Octane is interesting. Havent had enough time with them yet but it bombs for sure and is actually a little more stable compared to what i expected and saw in that TK video. Only 1 of the 10 in my order had a lower PLH and bigger dome so maybe they had a less stable tester or something.

It flips up to flat nicely from a shallow hyzer and just rides out with a little late fade or gives a nice tight S curve from flat. For sure much less of a stability gap from nitro to octane vs photon and wave. I like this disc so far but need to do more work out on actual course play vs tossing around a few holes between rain storms.

I'm excited about MVP again, a max distance driver from MVP with DOME!!? (never thought it would happen) Looking to replace my Rampage/Cannons with a more consistent duo.

Do you think this will be better with Fission plastic, 165g? or not much different.

not really at that weight-- I cant see it offering anything unique and could even fly OS. With no 150s in this speed class id be more interested in the super light weight fissions if possible.

As a player who throws around 330 I found the Octane to be pretty overstable for my arm. It flies like my 150 Blizzard Boss or my really domey Star Wraith.

When I throw it hard I get about 300 with a solid fade and big skip. I can throw a big flex shot and hit 340. It's easily the farthest I've thrown an MVP disc. I really curious to see how it will beat in.

I like it but I think for my arm the Catalyst will be much more in my wheelhouse.

Definitely more OS than I imagined. Harder to turn over than a Tern. I threw it into a hefty headwind, downhill, and it floated far out right but, at the last second, faded back just slightly right of center. Flat ground, into a headwind, it had a nice curve to it and landed dead center. Fresh, it is a Champ Tern that you don't need to worry about flipping, or a Champ Tern than can be released flat. Depending on your arm of course.

This is exactly the disc I wanted it to be. If you want a Tern this isn't it nor was it ever described by the company as anything such. This is a star destroyer in that perfect sweet spot. Supremely workable on numerous lines and a great max d disc. I threw one of my longest golf lines with this disc today at about 410 feet. And that's a true golf throw with obstacles and everything. This disc is amazing. So easy to throw long if you have the arm for it. I see me getting past 430 with this disc easily once I have a little more time with it.

Believe I saw one of these the other day-fresh off the press. It looked really domey for MVP (non mvp thrower here for the most part). Impressive rim size and nice looking flight plate through and through.

Just the pure looks of the disc made me want to buy it. Has anyone put it side to side against the competition yet to see how it really compares?

This is exactly the disc I wanted it to be. If you want a Tern this isn't it nor was it ever described by the company as anything such. This is a star destroyer in that perfect sweet spot. Supremely workable on numerous lines and a great max d disc. I threw one of my longest golf lines with this disc today at about 410 feet. And that's a true golf throw with obstacles and everything. This disc is amazing. So easy to throw long if you have the arm for it. I see me getting past 430 with this disc easily once I have a little more time with it.

The Octane is a high speed stable-understable distance driver.

Octane falls in the general stability lineage of Switch, Amp, Inertia, and Wave, with a slow-turning profile that holds long and straight until its fade finish. The 23mm Octane is designed to be relatively less understable than its 21.5mm counterpart Wave. Average throwers should see straight flights with a bit of shallow turn, while power throwers will be able to hyzerflip for max distance and tailwind lines.

Sounds very Tern-ish to me. I definitely wouldn't say "anything such"...

Octane falls in the general stability lineage of Switch, Amp, Inertia, and Wave, with a slow-turning profile that holds long and straight until its fade finish. The 23mm Octane is designed to be relatively less understable than its 21.5mm counterpart Wave. Average throwers should see straight flights with a bit of shallow turn, while power throwers will be able to hyzerflip for max distance and tailwind lines.

Not sure if this is a quote from MVP or not. If so, I'd have to argue at what an "average" thrower is. At 300' of power, I'd say my arm is average, if you compare it to ALL disc golfers. And I threw the Octane a little over 300' a couple times and it did not turn at all. In fact I had to throw it on an anny to get it there.

Not sure if this is a quote from MVP or not. If so, I'd have to argue at what an "average" thrower is. At 300' of power, I'd say my arm is average, if you compare it to ALL disc golfers. And I threw the Octane a little over 300' a couple times and it did not turn at all. In fact I had to throw it on an anny to get it there.
300' shouldn't get any turn, 350' might get the shallow turn mentioned.

Not really a tern at all. Domey MF were close but also the most OS terns. Even at 350' the amount of HSS is pretty solid at max wt. 400'+ it shows up a little more for a small helix when thrown flat.

Yeah, I hear ya all. As I said at first, it acts like a Tern for me that I don't need to worry about flipping. I do agree it starts much like a beat Star Destroyer or Boss but once beat, this thing will have a lot more overall "Tern" to it. I'm getting it around 400 and it definitely is more floaty and turns more than the Nitro. But both have massive potential. I think the best test will be to see how they act once seasoned. Disc golf center has it at 13 6 -2 3 and infinite has it at -1 2. I'd say it is more like -1 2 to start and once beat will be a -2 2. And that isn't to say the Nitro won't go as far. Nitro just gets there a lot faster it seems.

Last edited: