• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official Ask Discmania Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone score a mystery box? Curious your thoughts here compared with the reviews on their website. How has it compared to years past?

Also, anyone take the DM survey? The last question is interesting, and I'd like to talk about it here: if you could say something to Discmania, what would it be?!

Can someone please help me identify this discmania disc it has no tooling or patent numbers on the back of the disc. I assume it's a champ FD but I'm not positive

Attachments

• 20211125_195438.jpg
    20211125_195438.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211125_195602.jpg
    20211125_195602.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20211125_195615.jpg
    20211125_195615.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 26
DM is migrating production from Lat64 down the hallway to their own machines. Probably plastic changes.

JFC, I just wondered, im sure the plastic changes but what was closest lat plastic ? its not neo, and i cant think of anything else.... if feels to me like its between halo and star, but clearly its not innova

Anyone score a mystery box? Curious your thoughts here compared with the reviews on their website. How has it compared to years past?

I was happy with mine, but then I wasn't expecting/hoping to get a triple misprint eagle mclizzote glow swirl whatever that I could sell to cover the whole cost of my box.

I think this was the 3rd year I've done a mystery box and it was the first time more of the discs have been stuff I'd throw than not. 8/9 of my discs were speed 9 or slower, and I got a handful of molds I've never tried before which to me is the great fun of a mystery box.

I was happy with mine, but then I wasn't expecting/hoping to get a triple misprint eagle mclizzote glow swirl whatever that I could sell to cover the whole cost of my box.

I think this was the 3rd year I've done a mystery box and it was the first time more of the discs have been stuff I'd throw than not. 8/9 of my discs were speed 9 or slower, and I got a handful of molds I've never tried before which to me is the great fun of a mystery box.

Great point and a valued perspective. I laughed out at your "triple misprint mclizzotte" comment 😂🤣Thanks!

Can someone please help me identify this discmania disc it has no tooling or patent numbers on the back of the disc. I assume it's a champ FD but I'm not positive
Active line Premium Rockstar or Magician? All other DM lines have tooling present (Innova Originals, Evo Line, & now DM manufactured Originals)
JFC, I just wondered, im sure the plastic changes but what was closest lat plastic ? its not neo, and i cant think of anything else.... if feels to me like its between halo and star, but clearly its not innova
Neo has been most similar to Hybrid plastic from Lat64/DD. Sort of blending Opto line/Lucid & Gold line/Fuzion.
Vapor = Gold Line burst
Meta = Opto Chameleon
maybe signature series have gotten the X treatment? RC2 ~ Gold line-X burst, Meta Tilt/Midnight Prowl ~ Opto Chameleon-X?

Only box I managed to get a few years ago (Dec '17 w/ the Color Glow FD as the mystery disc) was 3x PD2 and a DD2 for half the box. I could still probably get the mystery box full cost back (w/ inflation!) at this point since all the discs were Innova manufactured (even with the use & ink from using them over the past 4 years).

Sounds like the same special blend plastic the new cloud breaker is supposed to be. S-line with some C-line mixed in. The one Eagle parked a 700' par 4.

Last edited:

funny how to you this is a plus, whereas to other players it might be a negative. not knocking you at all! I've just seen a fair number of complaints this year about how they don't throw this or that from a mystery box

funny how to you this is a plus, whereas to other players it might be a negative. not knocking you at all! I've just seen a fair number of complaints this year about how they don't throw this or that from a mystery box

Agreed. A lot of reviews indicate how upset people were that there weren't more "special" gems, but I don't have a reference point to how common that actually is. Jussi said it was their best box ever, but that seems hard to believe. I totally get that they're just starting off with their new in-house production, but I wonder why they didn't save that kind of hype for when they had the firepower to back it up. But then again…it's Discmania!

If you are going to be picky why would you order one to begin with? (I admittedly don't get the mystery box thing at all.)

If you are going to be picky why would you order one to begin with? (I admittedly don't get the mystery box thing at all.)

I get the mystery box idea....you get discs that you might not have tried before. I was in a Disc Swap and got a disc I would never have considered buying or trying....it's in my bag now.

But it does seem like a large number of people are hoping for, and after, the rare disc that they can immediately sell to pay off the mystery box. Then they get disappointed when there isn't that valuable disc in the box. Look at the box that came out with the original Tilt....sold out quickly and just as quickly the Tilts were online for sale....and some of the posts said - I will ship it as soon as it arrives.

In a similar line, I heard from the TD of ltheLas Vegas Challenge that he had a huge number of volunteers because he was giving them a Nate Sexton Firebird. Then he made the mistake of giving the disc when they checked in the first day..bunch of volunteers got their disc and left to never show up again....and the discs were up online immediately.

Generally, the mystery boxes will include one special disc that isn't a mystery (Tilt, Razor Claw 1, etc.) and the rest is always a crap shoot.

I used to buy the boxes that came out around the holidays usually knowing I wanted the known disc. The rest I would typically give away as Christmas gifts to my disc golf buddies unless there was something really cool or that I actually bagged.

I skipped ordering the DM box this year because I didn't want the MD1 and I feared the rest of the box would be a bunch of the active line stuff that nobody throws.

While there weren't 3 figure discs in every box I thought this years boxes seemed to do a better job of including a little something for everyone. Amongst my friend group and the boxes I saw online seemed like everyone got at least 2-3 molds from the originals line, 2-3 discs from the evolution line and 2-3 discs from the active line.

Just amongst the guys I play league with there were DD3/DDX/p3/p3x/md4/cd2/p2 and of course md1's so that made for some fun trading around.
The evolution/active lines seemed to be the same in every box save for tactic vs method but there was still a pretty big variety of color/stamps as well. The genius has actually been pretty fun to throw in the "faster paradox" slot and the rockstar was significantly more stable than it's numbers suggest so that's been interesting also.

So I guess if you ignore the color/schemes realistically everyone got 6 of the same discs as everyone else, and then 3 discs were up in the air what you got. I'm not sure if that's considered good or bad.

To add to the Creator Series topic, these molds can even be something of its own entirely. There are no rules with those but the summary of it is it is unique to other things and involves the design with the player it represents.

On the topic of Signature Releases, what ever happened to this:

"Not long following the C-Line MD3, we have a real treat lined up for you: The Eagle McMahon Iron Samurai 3, which will be a Color Glow C-Line MD3. Release is expected in the heart of glow season, some time this November-December."

Should we expect this to drop on Christmas 🤔😏?

They dropped the Proto CB DD3 in the December Black Mystery box I think

They dropped the Proto CB DD3 in the December Black Mystery box I think

Are you thinking there will be another before the end of the year? They've crammed so much into the end of this year I'd be surprised if they have one more big drop planned in the next two weeks.

Discmania, may I have a brief word with the stamp-color-disc-color coordinator?

attachment.php

Attachments

• DFF3CD1E-CC4A-48E6-997F-306CCD7C52C5.jpg
    DFF3CD1E-CC4A-48E6-997F-306CCD7C52C5.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 272

I ordered my first DM mystery box this year. I think there are a few attractors to be honest. First, there is always the chance of something unexpected (even if it is relatively low) which adds to the excitement. Second, at the 100$ cost all I need to financially justify it is by finding 3 discs to throw or add into the bag. With 8 mystery discs and the MD1 this really just means 2 discs needed to make up for the cost of the box and everything else is extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts