• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

** Official MVP Q&A - Answers **

So the complaint that comes from this Q&A is that MVP hasn't sent free pre-release product to their most dedicated trolls.

Success.

lol....I'm not complaining. It doesn't matter to me one way, or the other. Despite what it may seem like, I'm not stumping for a spot on the tester squad.

If MVP products are as great as people claim, they should put some of their staunchest critics on the test team. Honestly, who would you believe more; a positive review from someone like VOR/myself/other MVP critics, or a glowing review from in4d or Mike C? I'm not calling into question their honestly. I'm just saying that winning over your critics speaks louder than winning over your existing fan base.

I think there's a line somewhere. There's actual criticizm (positive and negative,) then there's MVP fan-baiting, which is a bit of a hobby around here (to the point of being a cliche, actually.)

I obviously can't speak for MVP, but why bother trying to "convince" someone who already has a problem with the product before it's on the market, or makes assertions about performance based on assumptions or heresay and not from experience? Why would they look for reviews from non-credible sources?

I look at it like this: I've tried a couple of Vibram discs. Barely tried. Just didn't like the feel, didn't want to open that can for myself. Nothing against them, just not interested at this point. Why the hell would they want to send someone like me tester discs? It's not a courtroom, they don't have to prove anything. It's not a quest for truth. It's a marketplace, they want to sell frisbees.

I don't think he is suggesting adding people that already dislike MVP to the tester team. I think he is suggesting using people that don't have the super-fan bias.

I dont think i speak with superfan bias. I regularly mention that my FH can be oaty and thus cant get the MVP midranges out very far. I also don't exagerate GYRO or claim it to be a miraculous thing. I notice some flight differnce which pleases me but i dont see the point into getting into if it real or not. Like zam said, if someone is very skepitical, do the experiments.

I do already throw mostly MVP though, and that's mainly how i read the answer to that question, that they wanted testers to be people that threw (supported) MVP. I dont know how they would even choose a tester that had no interest or care in MVP. Like the old saying... "If a discer doesn't care somewhere in middle america, does it make a sound?"

Like zam said, if someone is very skepitical, do the experiments.

That's exactly how MVP won me over. Let me preface by saying, I am not on their test team. I do not get free discs, but I buy a lot of discs every month. A LOT!

In early 2013, I bought a handful of Anodes and Ions to experiment with, and they didn't work for me. I continued to be curious about them as I worked on my form and game overall, so I bought the whole line in Neutron this past fall and decided to just take an all MVP bag out to the course and work with them without having any other options. I decided to make a project out of it - an experiment like Zam mentioned.

I learned a TON about these discs in that first round and continued to do so through subsequent rounds with them. I felt like I could judge those discs on their own merits by doing this by only having the MVP discs to choose from and not reaching for another. I could always go grab those discs and throw a round whenever I wanted.

As others have mentioned, there's a characteristic to the flight of each disc that I noticed. While every mold doesn't work for me, and still doesn't, I'll continue to evaluate their discs just as I do of several other manufacturers and molds as I pick them up. I realize others might not be able to do this, but, what I've found is that my bag has gotten, and continues to be more MVP that any other manufacturer in every slot - putters, mids, drivers. There's a consistency, reliability, quality and sheer enjoyment I get out of throwing their discs.

And, honestly, before switching over to their discs I always felt like entering a tourney would be pointless for me since I didn't have the confidence. But, a few weeks back, I felt confident that I wouldn't get totally smoked and wanted know what the experience of playing in a local one was like, so I signed up. Wouldn't you know, I won my division, so that was cool as hell. I know for a fact the reliability of the MVP discs helped that happen.

I will say, mids are the tricky spot with me with their line, but I still enjoy testing them and look at it as a personal challenge to figure them out since I'm convinced it's likely a form thing for me. There's plenty of proof online that these discs fly just fine.

Being perfectly honest, at one point, I wrote MVP off after my experimentation with their putters in early 2013. But, I like what they are doing... their plastics, molds, stamps, lines, etc.... so I continued to be curious. Knowing my form and ability had come a long way since that first go-round, I gave them another shot. And, I'm glad I did.

So, take that for what it's worth. Everyone's results will vary, but that's my testimonial as to how I became a fan and user of their stuff. That being said, I still buy and evaluate other discs out of curiosity and for comparison. I buy a ton of MVP discs as well (expect my 3rd DN delivery this month today) and will be buying lots of Axiom discs as well.

I would expect that several others who are curious about flight patterns in new/existing molds would do the same. I would encourage you to do so just based on my experience. Even if it's not buying them, ask a friend to let you throw a mold you're curious about. I think that just comes with being a fan of the sport and the enjoyment in throwing discs in general.

You never know until you try... and try try again... yadda yadda yadda... ;-)

Your statements have it fresh in my mind again to do my experiment. Will be cutting up some putters tonight to get some weight comparisons.
As you've been one of the more vocal critics of MVP, I can't wait to see what you come up with. I know tone doesn't convey well across the internet, so to be clear I'm being sincere. I think your results will likely validate MVP's claims, and coming from a known skeptic I think they'll carry more weight that if In4D or AimforChains did the same tests.

As promising as "when we're ready to focus on boutique molds" sounds, it sounds like a bottom of the list priority. :(

Tell Ken Climo that his Sonic is a boutique mold, dammit! :mad: :D

I just wanted to change the topic :hfive:

Here I thought there was another dog in the fight! :mad:

:D

As you've been one of the more vocal critics of MVP, I can't wait to see what you come up with. I know tone doesn't convey well across the internet, so to be clear I'm being sincere. I think your results will likely validate MVP's claims, and coming from a known skeptic I think they'll carry more weight that if In4D or AimforChains did the same tests.

As vocal as I am against about MVP, I really do wish them success. I will be doing a pretty simple test, but I will document everything fairly.

I'm truly looking forward to the Envy because I'm a big putter whore and did not like the Ion/Anode putter core. The Anode flew really close to my Pures, and they got benched solely because of the feel. I can't wait to try a more traditional-based core. I don't know if I'll be able to find a spot for it, but I'm kind of excited for it.

Tell Ken Climo that his Sonic is a boutique mold, dammit! :mad: :D

They could've at least skipped the TeeBird and overmolded a Sonic for pete's sake!!!

As vocal as I am against about MVP, I really do wish them success.

People around here have a really hard time understanding that being critical, or skeptical, of something isn't the same thing as hating it.

Oh no I still want a lid. I told ZAM that so much that he quit
... and took the Darkstar to Michigan for examination :)

Fake Hammer said:
Awl shucks - who, me? Naw I'ma just bein' critical and schkeptical. Feller can't be critical and schkeptical? Shucksnacks.
Hammer your trolling could reach performance art level, but thus far I'd have to respectfully rate it at poetry level.

TBird, you said you were gonna cut up some discs when the Atlas came out. Are you really going to sacrifice a few this time? I am, as I was then, interested in your findings.

What really surprises me (and I think I told Chad this) is that someone hasn't done this a long time ago. Maybe it's that none of us wants to ruin perfectly good discs in the name of science.

TBird, you said you were gonna cut up some discs when the Atlas came out. Are you really going to sacrifice a few this time? I am, as I was then, interested in your findings.

What really surprises me (and I think I told Chad this) is that someone hasn't done this a long time ago. Maybe it's that none of us wants to ruin perfectly good discs in the name of science.

That's why I sent him one of mine........

If MVP products are as great as people claim, they should put some of their staunchest critics on the test team. Honestly, who would you believe more; a positive review from someone like VOR/myself/other MVP critics, or a glowing review from in4d or Mike C? I'm not calling into question their honestly. I'm just saying that winning over your critics speaks louder than winning over your existing fan base.

FWIW I had MVP fans call me out for my original Amp video and said I shouldn't of posted it. I've also never hidden the fact that I had to try the Ion 3 times before I decided to bag it. No secret I'm a huge MVP fanboy, but they won me over through performance / consistency / availability.

I try to be objective in my videos and posts. Like my latest video showed an Envy getting turned over some in a strong headwind, and I tell people its not a Zone, because it isn't. Even if some people want to hear that it is.

That being said I like this idea, as long as the person doing the testing could be objective and not give a negative review based on their perceptions of things other than the disc (MVP, their fans etc.).

I am. I honestly forgot about it last time. On top of an Eclipse Ion, Hammer's Ion, Aviar, Wizard, and Challenger, I have an Atlas and Nova as well to sacrifice.

Latest posts