• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Okthrowberfest 2017 Voting Thread

Vote for your top three

• Candy Skulll Crusher

Votes: 40 34.8%
  • I Come in Peace

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Best Shot Doubles

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Juiced Pumpkin

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Real Men throw in Lederhosen!

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • Lucifer

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • When Spiders Dream

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Maria los Muerto

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • Helmut von Bierstein

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Knuckles Halloween Costume

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • The Scavenger

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • Rise of the Minions

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Eye of the Bethrowlder

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Night Creep

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
It was definitely fun this year. I was planning to enter last year and somehow missed the whole thing. This was the most time consuming and intricate dyes I've ever done. Hand cutting this took a long time. It was not as clean as expected and a few colors didn't come out quite right but in the end I am proud of my work and I'm glad other people got some enjoyment out of looking at it.

Congrats to the winners and good luck to everyone next year!!

Big Man Bailye is the dyer you seek. Gonna say the Real Men Throw was his too.

Oh well, looks like I was wrong on these. I know the Big Man is a Star Wars and Calvin & Hobbes fan.

I did guess right on Robs and R3's work though. Great job on your entry's guys!

twistedmangled, you have an amazing piece of art there.

Love both themes, and please excuse me for thinking you were the ghost of dyers past.

C&H's sled comics were some of Watterson's best, and it was a stroke of genius to combine that with Rey's sand dune sliding.

giphy.gif

Your Ren and Stimpy dye is flawless.:clap:

Ha, almost. It was really clean, but still not mistake free.

There are a few visible bleeds on Stimpy, the worst being the red from the blood splatter getting onto his face next to his left eye. The worst of the bleeds is actually impossible to see even in real life - the fluorescent yellow from the background bled into Ren's left shoulder fairly badly - I ripped it when weeding and tried to no avail to patch it up with some glue. Thankfully the glue lines for the rest of the background covered the tear so no darker colors bled in.

twistedmangled, you have an amazing piece of art there.

Love both themes, and please excuse me for thinking you were the ghost of dyers past.

C&H's sled comics were some of Watterson's best, and it was a stroke of genius to combine that with Rey's sand dune sliding.

giphy.gif
Thanks! Brian Kesinger who is a story artist at Walt Disney animation studios and an Artist for Marvel Comics has a whole series of these star wars / C&H's style pictures they are truly amazing. He is an incredible artist so when I saw the picture of Rey and BB8 in the sled I had to put it on a disc. https://www.instagram.com/briankesinger/?hl=en

Thank you! The short answer to your question is, lots of them. You can see more of them on my Instagram (including a rejected idea or two for this contest) at RobDyesAtTheEnd.

Those spinning illusion dyes are cool! I haven't seen that style before. Does it take a few tries with the camera to get the effect to appear correctly?

Those spinning illusion dyes are cool! I haven't seen that style before. Does it take a few tries with the camera to get the effect to appear correctly?

Thank you! I can almost always do it in one take now (the juiced pumpkin took a few takes, since I wanted to do it forwards and backwards). If your speed and lighting are right, it's hard to mess up the filming. I can usually take a 20-30 second video and cut it to 15ish seconds to show the parts where the speed is right. Last night I tried it with a strobe light to see it with the naked eye; I couldn't make out the fine detail, but I could dramatically change the speed (and direction) of the motion by changing the frequency of the strobe light.

Again, spinning it on a thumbtack in the sunlight is key!

Please keep asking questions! I'd love to have a few more people making these so we can "grow the technique".

Those spinning illusion dyes are cool! I haven't seen that style before.

This was the reason why I voted for the Spiders dye. It had this huge surprise effect on me ... no matter its simplicity ... or rather because of it!

Please keep your work going!

This was the reason why I voted for the Spiders dye. It had this huge surprise effect on me ... no matter its simplicity ... or rather because of it!

Please keep your work going!

Thank you! I had only planned to do one entry, but when I had bleeds on the juiced pumpkin one I felt like I had to make one that was technically clean. I wanted to try some new layering stuff too, and it's good to know that 4 independent layers is probably too much for our minds to handle. If you folks haven't checked out Drew Tetz on Instagram you should!

... If you folks haven't checked out Drew Tetz on Instagram you should!

Just checked out this Instagram and he's got some awesome stuff. Then, come to find out he's local (Rochester, NY) and that last night he had a gallery opening that I missed! Darn!

It's open for a few weeks, so I'll definitely be stopping by to take a look!

Yep, sure did. Sorry guys, been a little under the weather. I'm going to jump into this today and get it done by tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks for all the donations coming in! We'll get it to the winners in no time. ;)

Oh well, looks like I was wrong on these. I know the Big Man is a Star Wars and Calvin & Hobbes fan.

I did guess right on Robs and R3's work though. Great job on your entry's guys!

Your right I am a fan but no I didn't get it done in time so here was going to be my entry and I'm happy to share it now given it didn't for the theme but was going to enter it anyway.

I call it, "to God be the Glory"

Attachments

• 20171026_212914.jpg
    20171026_212914.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 58
Yep, sure did. Sorry guys, been a little under the weather. I'm going to jump into this today and get it done by tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks for all the donations coming in! We'll get it to the winners in no time. ;)

:popcorn:

Ok, here is what I'm going to do. I'm hope I'm not gonn over step anyone here but.....here goes.....

I pledged $50 worth of prize action to this Throberfest 2017, I will honor that and pay it out direct to the winners.

I will do you a gift certificate in the amounts of $25 for 1st. $15 for 2nd. $10 for 3rd.

Pick from Dynamic Discs, DG Center, Marshall St., KW's Disc Golf, or Infinate Discs.

Twisted, RB3, and newcomer, Puzzledguy PM me with your real name and email and I will start my payouts.

Congrats to the winners and all who took the time to dye AND submit your work.:clap:

Thanks so much discguy42! Here's the payout email I sent. Also, everyone is getting a free coupon for the DGCR app. I think I have all the mobile platform choices from everyone that participated. If you haven't sent in the request yet for Apple or Android, please get that to me. :thmbup:

1st place: $100 gift card, assorted other prizes, 1 year premium membership to DGCR, 1 coupon code for a free download of the DGCR app
2nd place: $50 gift card, assorted other prizes, 1 year premium membership to DGCR, 1 coupon code for a free download of the DGCR app
3rd place: $50 gift card, assorted other prizes, 1 year premium membership to DGCR, 1 coupon code for a free download of the DGCR app

Thanks for being patient with me. I did take a while getting this all sorted. Now that I've gotten through it all this time, I am putting together a timetable and some process steps to do better next year for the 10th Anniversary of OKTHROWBERFEST!!!

Prizes received today. Super generous - put a bright spot on a cold winter day here in Rochester! I feel lucky to be a new member of this community!

Latest posts