• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

On course injuries/medical emergencies?

Chiefstang

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Had any good ones?

My buddy and I had the whole course to ourselves for a round on a hot day, and he started saying he felt a little light headed. We had been drinking plenty of water, but decided to stop in the shade.

I turned around to put down my bag and heard a thud. Mu friend was rolling down a small hill stiffly, and upon stopping was in a full siezure.

He had never had one before, and hasn't since.

I ran over, and he was already biting through his tongue. I was able to pry his jaws open, and crammed the only thing around between his teeth...

His mid-range.

He siezed for a full minute or so, and then passed out. Now, we're the only people playing at all, and it's not even a shared park, so I just had to wait for him to come around.

When he did wake, he was slurring and staggering like he was real drunk. He kept denying that anything had happened, and was insisting on throwing his shot!!!

It wasn't untill I pointed out his bloody mouth and teethmarks in his disc that it sank in.

It sucked.... We only got to play 8 holes.:thmbdown:

I tried to make the titles more joking, so it was not meant as an insult. your thread is not the same, these are just some injuries to read for your entertainment.

<Phew>

I also had a buddy rip his hand open pretty good when his follow through hit a particularly nasty branch.

Z-Boaz DGC eats people. I've seen legs broke several times. One dude was thorned in the eye by following too closely in the woods. Another fell out a tree. Lots of hand injuries as the Op mentioned. I've had that one myself. Just this week a girl clobbered a kid with a disc. You have to watch your back and your front around here.

I bruised my wife's ribs with a dx valk. She was hiding behind a slide and I threw the disc high and right. She stepped out from behind the slide and said why did you throw it over there, you have to go get it, then it came back, she stepped back behind the slide and somehow it still hit her. oops :D
My dog was hit in the ribs just a week earlier with a dx wraith.

Oh yeah... Also drilled a guy on a huge downhill drive. Real windy day and the disc just took off to the left. We yelled fore, but he couldn't hear 'cause of the wind and distance.

Left a dark bruise right on his hip.

I felt aweful.

Really good friend of mine who's since retired from the sport you'll understand why in a second...Took a disc to the face from about 10-15ft. Max Wt. Champion driver even...He was standing 90 degrees to the teepad probably a lil too close to the front of it though...When another mutual friend(noob) threw, grip locked and sent it about teeth high at his face.

There was so much blood! He lost about 5 teeth and had to get 18 stitches across his upper lip and right cheek. He was really fortunate though a few inches high and he could've lost an eye or fractured an orbital or something.

Really good friend of mine who's since retired from the sport you'll understand why in a second...Took a disc to the face from about 10-15ft. Max Wt. Champion driver even...He was standing 90 degrees to the teepad probably a lil too close to the front of it though...When another mutual friend(noob) threw, grip locked and sent it about teeth high at his face.

There was so much blood! He lost about 5 teeth and had to get 18 stitches across his upper lip and right cheek. He was really fortunate though a few inches high and he could've lost an eye or fractured an orbital or something.

Geezzz

I say, I thought fracturing my leg was bad. :gross:

I broke my hand pretty badly on the 8th hole of The Memorial last year. I learned a lesson from that one.

Early in the summer, I smacked my hand on a tree following through on an anny shot. Hairline fracture, still hurts when somebody grips too hard on a handshake. Before I did that, I always thought "How could anybody ever do something so stupid?" :doh:

My worst one was my own stupid fault. After a couple rounds at Morley Field in San Diego, I was walking to my car. There's a high curb between the dirt parking lot and the asphalt part of the parking lot. As I was stepping over it, somehow my foot slipped out from under me and I landed with all my weight on my shin on a sharp corner of concrete. It gouged out the skin down to the bone, and you can still feel a divot in my shin bone underneath the scar. I couldn't walk on that leg for the rest of the day, and since it was my right I couldn't even put enough pressure on it to be able to drive home, I had to get a friend to drive me and my car home.

FYI: They don't recommend putting anything in the mouth of a seizure victim anymore. The issue is that it can push the tongue down into the throat and they can choke on it. You're better off letting them bite their own tongue, than risk them suffocating. That used to be the standard (shoving your wallet in their mouth) though.

My worst one was a sprained ankle at highland park in joliet. I threw my first shot and had a great shot. Decided to throw another one for fun with my roc. It cruised through tons of trees to the other side of a ravine without hitting a tree. So before I putt I go to get the roc and had to walk down a hill. The elevation was so steep and there were leaves everywhere so I started to slide down it. My foot.got caught up on a jagged rock under the leaves and I twisted the **** outta it. I was off for a couple weeks, and had to wear a big brace for awhile. All over a practice shot. :doh:

FYI: They don't recommend putting anything in the mouth of a seizure victim anymore. The issue is that it can push the tongue down into the throat and they can choke on it. You're better off letting them bite their own tongue, than risk them suffocating. That used to be the standard (shoving your wallet in their mouth) though.

Huh. I just learned!

I was going by my military biological weapons first aid training at the time. Was just out of the service, and surprised I reacted as well as I did.

It was a while ago, but now I know....

...AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!!!!!!

I threw a shot at youth park on hole 5...walked away watching it go toward the pin. When I turned, I ran head first into the edge of the metal tee sign (like a parking sign). It gashed my head right open. Guys with me had some bandaids...was very thankful for that.

We have a lot of clay on the course here and there is a particular spot by the tee pad on hole 7 that is clay covered in moss. It was a damp day out from either rain or dew (I can't remember) and when we were walking to the tee my right foot slipped about 3 feet infront of me and I managed to stay upright, but also managed to blow out my knee again. :(

The only other injury I have had was taking a limb to the eye during night golf. The one during night golf wasnt bad because nobody could see me do it. ha

Last edited:

Latest posts