• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rant about complaining at Worlds.

Garrett76zt

Par Member
I competed in this years Pro Worlds in the Open division and really enjoyed trying to beat the courses even though I would consider my effort far from satisfactory, haha.

The point I want to make is simple. I cannot understand the point of competitors complaining about course design flaws or distractions mid-competition. It makes no sense to me. You have agreed to compete on this course at this time against this field. What good is complaining going to do you? You should only be thinking about overcoming said obstacles.

After one of my rounds I had the opportunity to watch the lead Masters card for a round and then again in the final 9. It honestly made me sick watching Moser mutter and complain about someone distracting him (for the tenth time) that was 90 degrees from the basket and 60ft away from him. You're in a PUBLIC park! Or when Climo spent 5 full minutes complaining about a sign that was in the ground that he felt was too close to the basket at Deer Lakes hole 16 because he missed his putt. You know what? That sign has probably been there for 20 years. It was certainly there the day he practiced the courses and if it is so important then he should have paid attention and recognized that it was an obstacle to be accounted for. How about Patrick Brown actually complaining that a spectator called "Fore!" during his run up on the tee of 17? A disc from another fairway was coming right at him and the lead card group. This spectator had his safety in mind and he felt it necessary to criticize the gesture. btw he was able to stop in time and start another run up without distraction.

Golf is a game that rewards the SKILL of distraction management. You cannot eliminate distractions, you have to manage them. Some of the time that means you can politely ask someone to move or allow yourself extra time until you are not distracted but most of the time it means you must perform at a high level despite the obstacles and distractions. I mean where do these guys play/practice that is so perfectly ideal that coming to a tournament is such a huge departure and distraction for them? You might as well practice on purpose with more distractions than normal to increase your tolerance of them!

At this time in our sport we play in public parks and university campuses and there are going to be a ton of distractions. If you are playing in the World Championships then there are going to be 300+ people following you around that can't all be perfectly still or perfectly quiet. Can't handle that? Don't play! I was disappointed how whiny and complainy some of these guys were. When you are a Champion it means you champion things, you overcome things, you beat things. Not just the other players but the course and the obstacles, the distractions, the bad breaks, all of it.

So for those of you who've read this far, do yourself and the game of Disc Golf a favor next time you choose to compete . . . commit to be positive and commit to overcome whatever comes your way.

They are perfectionists. That's part of why they are great players. It's also their job to play. Complaining about imperfections of their game and where they are playing, is like complaining about your boss, it just comes with the territory. :\

You can't be a perfectionist and appreciate the game of golf at the same time. Maybe try bowling?

I disagree, no character trait that leads them to complain also contributes to them being a great player. Striving for excellence and expecting perfection are two very different things. And if you expect perfection then you will always have a bad round. Who wants to play that way all the time?

Im sick of all the complaining period. I thought World's went great, loved watchig MPO, the final nine of FPO, and how sportsmanlike everyone was.

Cant speak for masters because I didnt follow it at all, but thats the only thing I've heard that could've gone better.

And I'm sooooo sick of the "Paige should've threw the round" garbage. Plz stahp.

Patrick Brown is rather known for letting distractions get to him. I hadn't heard that stuff about Mike or Kenny but it's not a huge shock. You have to be wound very tight to play at that level. It goes with the territory.

Patrick Brown is rather known for letting distractions get to him. I hadn't heard that stuff about Mike or Kenny but it's not a huge shock. You have to be wound very tight to play at that level. It goes with the territory.

Ken is known for it too.

unfortunately, Yes, our pros gripe. A lot. About nothing. Not ALL of them. But a very high %. Some people can't handle making a mistake, so they have to find something else to pin it on.

Their are a few that don't act like that. McBeth for one, but I don't know if bringing a disc golf robot into this discussion is fair.

Its human nature to blame things beyond your control. There's various theroies why, but I think it's mostly just easier to blame THAT DAMN SIGN BEING TOO CLOSE than yourself for missing a putt you'd probably make 99 out of 100 times.

As for the noise/movement thing, that's a pet peeve of mine. There's a number of people I will no longer play with during league or even casual rounds because they are such headcases. One guy will even complain about others casting shadows in his area...I get that it is an unwritten rule in real golf, but that's because you're looking down at the green, not up at a basket. One guy will absolutley not throw until it is totally silent...he will stop his throw mid run-up if even a car drives by.

Now take people like that and have them compete for big time (for disc golf, anyway) cash and the prestige of a World Championship. It's easy to see how their eccentric neuroses could become more blatant.

Me? I prefer noise. It actually helps me focus...sort of like those "Sounds of the Rainforsest" CDs or something.

They are perfectionists. That's part of why they are great players. It's also their job to play. Complaining about imperfections of their game and where they are playing, is like complaining about your boss, it just comes with the territory. :\

This seems to say (my words) that complaining happens in all pro sports by a good percentage of the pro players.

I have never noticed that if it's true.

Just be positive, and take it all as a recommendation to play the tournaments those pros run, where the courses are perfect and there are no distractions, oversights, or unforeseen situations that will diminish your experience.

Great players ask, "What did I do wrong?" when their performance or execution fails to match their expectations; whiners, no matter how accomplished, find something or someone else to blame.

To borrow a line from P. G. Wodehouse,

"To find a man's true character, play [disc] golf with him."

We should have better definitions on what conuts as a distractoin that resets your 30 seconds. One thing I noticed in the worlds coverage is that certain players (Nikko for example) take longer than 30 seconds on EVERY fricking putt hey make. I'd be calling them all the time. Maybe bring a oversize stop watch that I would hold right beside them.

But anyways, we have people here who reset and take a new 30 seconds at almost anything. We need rules on this. My idea would be "nothing that is further from the basket than you are can count as distracion" for putting. And "if the fairway is free, you have to throw, no matter what cars drive around some half mile behind the spectators" for drives. Something like that.

We should have better definitions on what conuts as a distractoin that resets your 30 seconds. One thing I noticed in the worlds coverage is that certain players (Nikko for example) take longer than 30 seconds on EVERY fricking putt hey make. I'd be calling them all the time. Maybe bring a oversize stop watch that I would hold right beside them.

But anyways, we have people here who reset and take a new 30 seconds at almost anything. We need rules on this. My idea would be "nothing that is further from the basket than you are can count as distracion" for putting. And "if the fairway is free, you have to throw, no matter what cars drive around some half mile behind the spectators" for drives. Something like that.

Or we could dispel the myth that one's 30 second clock can be reset (or even paused) once it starts.

The rule only contains criteria for when one's 30 seconds begins: (1) previous player has thrown, (2) reasonable time to arrive at the lie, (3) playing area clear and free of distractions. Nothing about new distractions or anything at all allowing for a fresh 30 seconds once the count has started.

Maybe a line could be added to the rule so that the time can be paused (not reset) if a safety concern presents itself, such as a pedestrian appearing on the fairway or something. But if there's no safety concern in play, the player doesn't get to back off and take another 30 seconds.

Or we could dispel the myth that one's 30 second clock can be reset (or even paused) once it starts.

The rule only contains criteria for when one's 30 seconds begins: (1) previous player has thrown, (2) reasonable time to arrive at the lie, (3) playing area clear and free of distractions. Nothing about new distractions or anything at all allowing for a fresh 30 seconds once the count has started.

Maybe a line could be added to the rule so that the time can be paused (not reset) if a safety concern presents itself, such as a pedestrian appearing on the fairway or something. But if there's no safety concern in play, the player doesn't get to back off and take another 30 seconds.

That may be true by a strict reading of the wording, but in the real world, 40 years of actual practice trumps semantics every time.

My idea would be "nothing that is further from the basket than you are can count as distracion" for putting.

So what's to stop a player from arranging for his friends to stand a couple of feet behind a competitor and talk/mutter/giggle/blow raspberries/breath heavily/make sex sounds when he's putting?

So what's to stop a player from arranging for his friends to stand a couple of feet behind a competitor and talk/mutter/giggle/blow raspberries/breath heavily/make sex sounds when he's putting?

Because most of us are out of high school?

Hey Jay anyone who complains about long tourney rounds or distractions, should be required to join my weekend group for a day, don't you think? LOL

We spent 4 1/2 out at cedar sentinels sunday with only 7 in the herd....

...we probably spent at least 30 minutes looking for discs though.

Well he was exaggerating a little for that course, but we have been known to play 5 or 6 hour rounds at idlewild and Lincoln ridge. Tbird joined us at winton once, I think it took 2 1/2 but we had over 10 people...

We aren't out there trying to set speed records though, very laid back group... well except for the ball busting.

Last edited:

Latest posts