• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rant about complaining at Worlds.

I'd like to agree with the posts applauding McBeth's mental game. Physically, he has all the shots, of course. I love the aesthetics of all aspects of his game - no wasted movement, simple, orthodox, efficient motions. I also love his strategic approach to a round - he always seems to make the correct decisions. And he executes each plan for each shot at an incredibly high percentage. But so do many of the other top pros too.

What separates McBeth from the rest of the field and is responsible for his utter dominance over these guys over the last 18(?)-24(?) months is his mental game. No one else's mental game in disc golf comes even close. In fact, I would argue that his mental game is world class, across any professional sport. His focus is amazing to watch - it never wavers. Once in a while after he makes an incredible 50' death putt to gain a stroke or two on his competition (happens all the time) he'll smile bashfully or give a little fist pump. But I've never seen him wig out if anything bad happens during a round. The point is, he never changes his mentality good or bad until the job is done. And this chasm in mental control between McBeth and everyone else widens as the stakes get higher. Not because Mcabeth focuses more, but because everyone else crumbles under the pressure. Sure, the other guys might get him once in a while, but he's the only one who is right there at the end, every single tournament he plays. Respect.

I'd like to agree with the posts applauding McBeth's mental game. Physically, he has all the shots, of course. I love the aesthetics of all aspects of his game - no wasted movement, simple, orthodox, efficient motions. I also love his strategic approach to a round - he always seems to make the correct decisions. And he executes each plan for each shot at an incredibly high percentage. But so do many of the other top pros too.

What separates McBeth from the rest of the field and is responsible for his utter dominance over these guys over the last 18(?)-24(?) months is his mental game. No one else's mental game in disc golf comes even close. In fact, I would argue that his mental game is world class, across any professional sport. His focus is amazing to watch - it never wavers. Once in a while after he makes an incredible 50' death putt to gain a stroke or two on his competition (happens all the time) he'll smile bashfully or give a little fist pump. But I've never seen him wig out if anything bad happens during a round. The point is, he never changes his mentality good or bad until the job is done. And this chasm in mental control between McBeth and everyone else widens as the stakes get higher. Not because Mcabeth focuses more, but because everyone else crumbles under the pressure. Sure, the other guys might get him once in a while, but he's the only one who is right there at the end, every single tournament he plays. Respect.
I agree, very well said. My admiration for Mcbeth is his will and mental game. The physical skills are completely on point, but one cannot practice the mental game, you just have to do it, and it is not easy.

So what's to stop a player from arranging for his friends to stand a couple of feet behind a competitor and talk/mutter/giggle/blow raspberries/breath heavily/make sex sounds when he's putting?

image.jpg

Or we could dispel the myth that one's 30 second clock can be reset (or even paused) once it starts.

The rule only contains criteria for when one's 30 seconds begins: (1) previous player has thrown, (2) reasonable time to arrive at the lie, (3) playing area clear and free of distractions. Nothing about new distractions or anything at all allowing for a fresh 30 seconds once the count has started.

So if a dog runs up to you and bites you in the leg, or if a tree falls down in a stormy round and almost hits you as you are putting, or if the angry ex husband of your mixed doubles partner comes and hits you, nothing resets your 30 seconds?

I must admit I am guilty myself, I thought there are lots of things that reset your 30 sec.

Except to complain about the thread to complain about pros complaining. :|

You're confused. I simply made an ironic observation that this is a complaint thread about complaints...with complaints.

For those wondering where 30+ posts just went, I removed all of the posts concerning someone's poor etiquette in the gallery.

Last edited:
This is why I don't play in tournaments anymore. I can't stand people who complain because they can't focus on their game so in turn they have to make excuses. I stongly dislike super competitive people as well. They go hand in hand I guess.

Had to watch again to see if I missed something. It was hole 6 of final 9 CCDG just said wild spectator in the croud, don't be that guy.

I did turn up the volume full blast & did not hear anything.

It was the camera man that was moving all over the place during Paul's Putt on hole 6 of the FINAL 9

Latest posts