• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

On course injuries/medical emergencies?

Once I slipped off a teepad and fell on my ass.

The only thing I hurt was my pride. :|

Saw a guy catch a high speed driver with the top of his head. It left a two inch gash, lots of blood and the dude was in shock as his buddy walked him to their car. I have to say that the disc was thrown by a noob and only went about 200' as it ascended and dove sharply to the left before impact.

I bruised my wife's ribs with a dx valk. She was hiding behind a slide and I threw the disc high and right. She stepped out from behind the slide and said why did you throw it over there, you have to go get it, then it came back, she stepped back behind the slide and somehow it still hit her. oops :D
My dog was hit in the ribs just a week earlier with a dx wraith.

Damn ruby, you need to be more careful.

I have 2 thus far:

1 - One day at Oak Grove I stepped over the front of the 4th tee on my drive and as it's about an 18" drop, I heard a SNAP in my ankle and went down. I didn't think much of it until the 9th hole when I stepped on a rock with my other foot, and it rolled and took that ankle with it. I never went to a doctor but when I got home, both my ankles were black and swollen. It was a good month until I was close to normal.

2 - One day at Sylma I tossed my bag aside and my finger caught on the d-link for my quads. It ripped my middle finger open for 5 stitches and tweaked the heck out of the last knuckle on the finger. I'm kind of lucky I didn't lose it.

someone in my group got their tongue stuck to the cold pole of a tee sign. i'm completely serious. yes he was drunk

basically he was acting manly and was chastising someone who made a comment about being cold and tried to make an example by licking the metal pole to show it wasn't cold enough to stick his tongue to

it was.

I don't know if this counts as an 'injury' but it does have to do with disc golf ;) The day before me and a buddy were leaving for a 5 day disc golf road trip I had the most intense back pain I've ever felt in my life. Scared to miss the trip, I didn't go to the ER cuz I didn't want anyone, even a doctor, to tell me I shouldn't go on my trip. The pain stopped a few hours later and the next day we took our trip. All trip long I was drinking a ton of water and still noticed that my urine was soupy yellow, like chicken noodle soup yellow, and getting worse. We played in 100 degree Iowa, Missouri, and Kansas heat (including Blue Valley which took us 5 hours to play:doh:). Upon my return home I went to the doctor and I guess a large kidney stone got stuck in my right ureter and my right kidney was in the process of shutting down...explains the soupy urine:D. I went in for emergency stone blasting (forget the name of the procedure) and had a stint put up my wiener and between my bladder and kidney:thmbdown: Super painful especially when they went in after the stint a week later and took it out while I was awake and w/out any pain med. THE END

Back in the day there was a doubles tourney at Tinicum, I was playing with Glenn Noakes. He was late, and we were warming up as he drove in. He jumps out of the car and runs to the first tee, cutting in front of us as a joke, he chucks a drive, slips on the wet tee and lands hard. You could hear the "crack" as his hand breaks, probably halfway across the park.

Played the entire round with it, all swollen and looking horrible.

Funny thing is, he had already signed up for World's a couple of weeks later, and had payed for travel and hotel, etc., so he went and played lefty, all rounds. Came in dead last.

Z-Boaz DGC eats people. I've seen legs broke several times. One dude was thorned in the eye by following too closely in the woods. Another fell out a tree. Lots of hand injuries as the Op mentioned. I've had that one myself. Just this week a girl clobbered a kid with a disc. You have to watch your back and your front around here.

I broke my ankle putting (yes putting!) at Z Boaz as the second course of a major trip to Texas one spring. Couldn't play San Saba the following day. My ankle swelled up something fierce; but I did manage to walk at least all of the other courses of the trip and played many of them forehanded, so I could plant on my other foot. Got two new states in even! (I actually walked on that ankle for three weeks; hoping it was a bad sprain; before I went in to have it looked at....bad mistake. Broken in three places; and now I have pins and screws in that ankle.

I guess it was karma; because a couple of years prior; during a journey to Joliet Ill. and St. Louis; a traveling partner broke both his ankle and elbow; after a drive, on a tee with a rut off the front end. I was like, "how does one do that; he can't be that hurt." I did have to drive the car on to the course; it was on the second hole also and near the lot. We skipped that round, but I did make him sit and wait for me to play another course on the way home. He crawled on his hands and knees into his home and I felt bad. His mom took him to the hospital that same day.

Evidently, DISC GOLF IS A DANGEROUS SPORT.

Back in the day there was a doubles tourney at Tinicum, I was playing with Glenn Noakes. He was late, and we were warming up as he drove in. He jumps out of the car and runs to the first tee, cutting in front of us as a joke, he chucks a drive, slips on the wet tee and lands hard. You could hear the "crack" as his hand breaks, probably halfway across the park.

Played the entire round with it, all swollen and looking horrible.

Funny thing is, he had already signed up for World's a couple of weeks later, and had payed for travel and hotel, etc., so he went and played lefty, all rounds. Came in dead last.

Saw Ron Russell play left handed at world's in Ann Arbor; after smashing it on a tree. I got his first ever left handed autograph!

*Johnson * thought he'd try something new and did a 360 spin, let go early and nailed my wife in the temple. I thought she was going to die, it was the hardest throw ever imagined with an overstable driver, I believe a nuke, anyhow She was standing about twenty ft ahead of the tee and thirty ft to the left next to a tree. This injury was a month before our wedding and she was worried the bloodshot eye and bruised temple/goose egg wouldn't go away, but it did. *johnson* doesn't like me telling this story, I wonder why? Btw it was a pretty safe place to stand and this was a freak accident. *johnson* was just trying something new and it went horribly wrong. I haven't seen him throw a 360 spin ever since

Last edited:
Somebody fell into a thermal feature at the Old Faithful Non Existent Disc Golf Course in Yellowstone, WY. They have this stuff called floating grass. You are walking, and suddenly all the land around you wobbles, like it's on top of water. Well, it IS on top of water and sometimes you fall through. He only suffered 2nd degree burns though, so thats good.

Other than that, I got nailed in the ear by a Star Wraith point blank. Fortunately it was from a n00b so while it was full power, it was far from full power.

Hey Chiefstang. Was that midrange a Buzzz? Because if it was, then you just proved that it would be the greatest golf disc ever. Not only can it save your game, but it can save your life!!

Hey Chiefstang. Was that midrange a Buzzz? Because if it was, then you just proved that it would be the greatest golf disc ever. Not only can it save your game, but it can save your life!!

Lol! I can't remember what it was, but it was DX.

I also got stung by a bee right between my big and middle toes. That was the last time I wore open shoes.

My buddies definitely had a laugh at me throwing my bag, dropping to the ground and such.

Latest posts