• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] One-brand bags?

onemilemore

* Ace Member *
Is it just me, or do other people here often get the itch to try out one-brand bags, even though there is no prudent purpose for it?

For example, I wanted to try a Discmania TD a few weeks back, and ended bagging three of their other molds. Now that I am testing the MVP Servo, I am toying with the idea of going the MVP route. I've done this in the past with Latitude, as well.

I'm not sure if I just get bored since I pretty much only play on the weekends, or if there is some part deep in my brain that needs the symmetry of one brand. I know it isn't a sponsorship thing, because that'll happen when hell freezes over. And it clearly isn't loyalty, because I switch up the brand all the time.

So, for others out there, why do you gravitate mostly toward one brand? Is it loyalty? Plastic? A need to stand out? Symmetry? Just curious why some go that route when others are perfectly content with a mixed bag.

For me it's the plastic, although I carry lat I have all three brands in my bag. But I totally get what you are saying. I keep an all MVP bag filled and ready when I want to throw them. But no MVP in my regular bag except the anode.

combo of many things but find it easier to follow single companies in the newer releases as your bag gets more "set" which ends up that way due to well.. probably all the reasons you said.

Is it loyalty? Plastic? A need to stand out? Symmetry? little bit of each for me but don't ONLY carry mvp discs just majority of them. I love they all feel similar across different mold classes having the same cores but unique OM.

I cant imagine all the same colors though-- that always gets me. I want my one mold in one color for the most part so its not a puzzle figuring out which is what.

I went the other way. I originally started going after what worked for my game, and I wound up realizing about three quarters of the way through setting up my bag that I had one disc per manufacturer for the most part. At that point, I think I started trying to make a new-to-my-bag manufacturer's mold find a place. I just couldn't replace the Wasp or Zone though no matter how hard I tried.

I'm starting to go back to what works, but I've grown to love a lot of molds I wouldn't have tried otherwise.

Yeah maybe it's just a pride thing...Like I've been rocking an all Lat bag for two years now. I started throwing their stuff when it first came out, vision, halo, striker, core...then started adding in the flow, river, fuse, bolt, XXX etc when they all started coming out. I guess for me it's a comfort and a pride thing. Except for 1 prodigy putter and a blizzard katana for high altitudes reasons, I'm rocking an all most all Lat bag..and loving it

I think a lot of it depends on what stage of playing you are in. New players may choose one company because somebody suggests it or that's all the local shop carries. More experienced players may choose one brand because of a plastic preference or flight tendencies (one brand seems to mesh well with their throwing style). Part of it is to just try out the new stuff on the market.

For me though, I think what does it is trying a new disc from a company, liking it, and then thinking what else I've been missing from that company. I may be clicking with a certain mold, try out something new that is similar and not be impressed, and then a few months later try it again and like it. I think most people who've been playing a while have certain slots in their bag and you could interchange quite a few molds in and out without disrupting things a ton. This is obviously a bit different for top pros...those guys need to know their discs inside and out in order to compete on the highest level...I barely get out enough anymore so if there's inconsistency it's me not the disc.

Is it just me, or do other people here often get the itch to try out one-brand bags, even though there is no prudent purpose for it?

For example, I wanted to try a Discmania TD a few weeks back, and ended bagging three of their other molds. Now that I am testing the MVP Servo, I am toying with the idea of going the MVP route. I've done this in the past with Latitude, as well.

I'm not sure if I just get bored since I pretty much only play on the weekends, or if there is some part deep in my brain that needs the symmetry of one brand. I know it isn't a sponsorship thing, because that'll happen when hell freezes over. And it clearly isn't loyalty, because I switch up the brand all the time.

So, for others out there, why do you gravitate mostly toward one brand? Is it loyalty? Plastic? A need to stand out? Symmetry? Just curious why some go that route when others are perfectly content with a mixed bag.

the red is me...with innova..i will allow my self to only throw innova or the companies related to them

the red is me...with innova..i will allow my self to only throw innova or the companies related to them

This is me now. I used to have a mixed bag, but then i realized most of the discs I was using from other companies were just re-creations of Innova discs. The only disc that was unique that i was using was the Wizard, but tbh it's not far enough off the KC Pro aviar that i couldn't switch.

For me though, I think what does it is trying a new disc from a company, liking it, and then thinking what else I've been missing from that company. I may be clicking with a certain mold, try out something new that is similar and not be impressed, and then a few months later try it again and like it.

I think this is what it is for me, the whole mentality of "This disc is great, there must be something out there from them that is better than what's in my bag." Plus, half the fun of this game, for me at least, is trying new stuff.

I have 0 brand loyalty.

I tend to prefer Lat disc because they tend to fit my throw, esp with drivers. Oh, and the plastic is great.

There are a few molds that just don't have duplicates. There are things close, but not exact replacements. The Zone, TB, Roc, and Comet are just a few that come to mind.

I love trying new molds as well. If something comes out that could work for my bag I'm likely to try it out, regardless if I already have the slot figured out. I'm a sucker for putters and fairways.

Last edited:
When I started playing of course I was using Innova.....it was the only thing available. Then I found Discraft and quickly went away from Innova. I went almost completley Discraft except for the Roc.
Since then I have tried a few different companies and I have settled with Dynamic Discs/Lat 64/Westside

People can make fun of me or whatever they want, but I use what feels good in my hand. The discs tend to fit my hand and I feel more confident when that happens. BUT I still use a Roc and putt with a Wizard. (All pending change if I get on the Team)

This is me now. I used to have a mixed bag, but then i realized most of the discs I was using from other companies were just re-creations of Innova discs. The only disc that was unique that i was using was the Wizard, but tbh it's not far enough off the KC Pro aviar that i couldn't switch.

you ever heard of the nova or atlas? lol. MANY molds are recreations but there have been tons of new and unique molds which have come out in the past year. WAY more than ever before.

I've done the one manufacturer for Discraft, then the Trilogy, then to my slightly mixed current bag. I like having a one manufacturer bag only for OCD reasons...and I just find it easier to put together bags from one manufacturer. The companies make discs based on complimenting their current line, so if I buy a (example) Pain, I can then get a Fuse. Its easier when you dont have a million discs (though getting close to it) or a million dollars (getting farther from it) to try out all the companies, you can "rely" on the companies filling those gaps as opposed to hoping another companies "meteor" is like my "tursas"

....then after reading through this, I again realize I'm making excuses for the main reason I do this...it's an OCD thing :\

you ever heard of the nova or atlas? lol. MANY molds are recreations but there have been tons of new and unique molds which have come out in the past year. WAY more than ever before.

What are the Nova and Atlas recreations of? I've never seen overmolded discs with compass points and non gyroscopic effects. If you're speaking of MVP i'd say the Vector is pretty close to a Roc and the Axis is pretty close to a Buzz.

I was speaking about discs like The Rival for example , which is a Teebird clone minus the glide.

I agree that plastic feel/grip is king. Champ and star are better year round than Lat and MVP were when I tried them both out for a while - had a big Lat phase and a much, much smaller MVP phase thanks to slick-when-wet Proton putters and a couple wildly different FR Volts.

Innova, Millennium, Discmania is the real Trilogy and the Lat stuff is nothin' but the CGI laden prequels. :|

/troll

Nah, I really think you can do well no matter what you're throwing. If all we had were Lightning discs, we'd make it work! I like the grip on Star and Champ plastic and I think Pro is one of the best plastics ever for mix of grip and durability and seasonability. I'm sad that all my MOLFs are white tho.

Comets and Wizards have done wonders for my form and my putting, as did the Buzzzes I threw for 3+ years. The River helped me realize what slower drivers could do and got me on the path to stretching out my distance w/slow discs.

Gotta find what works for you, and you can't do that with brand loyalty.

i rolled with a lat64 only bag for a while because i loved the plastic and the white GL is the tits for dye-jobs. then i just kinda said "meh" after i realized i still sucked and losing my dye jobs really pissed me off . . . and so i moved on.

I throw Latitude (and the Judge) almost exclusively. My Zone is the only real disc that Lat/WS/DD has yet to offer a version of in premium plastic. I currently bag the Mantis but was going to give the Saint Pro a shot at that slot in the spring. And I do have a couple other brands "in" my bag, but see use maybe once every few rounds if the shot comes up.

No brand loyalty really, I just love the glide and smoothness of a pure throw with Lat discs. Fits my play style well. Hot weather I tend towards the finesse of GL, and cold weather is for my workhorse Opto discs.

Latest posts