• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One finger forehand

MaxFlight

Eagle Member
So I'm primarily a backhand player. I've dedicated myself to mastering my backhand capabilities because I believe it's my superpower.

I've been slowly developing a forehand... But I only bring it out when I'm in a whole bunch 'o trouble. I've tried many different grips, but the only one that's ever felt right is one finger in the flight plate forehand... Is this frowned upon?

A buddy of mine who's a great disc golfer with a great forehand only uses his pointer finger in the flight plate... Anyone else with the same techniques? If so, any tips?

I use one finger on the rim, not sure any finger should be on the flight plate. I switch to 2 finger for shorter finesse shots

I'm a 90% backhand dude, too. I can turn anything over, practically, so like you, I typically use a forehand only for trouble shots. I have been working on driving with it, but I just...don't...trust it. :D

But I use the same "technique," if that's what it is. One finger hooked onto the rim. It's similar to the way I hold a pencil, if you can picture that...

I have people tell me, all the time, that I'm doing it "wrong." And I can see some of the logic they use. The difference between them and me, though, is that I've been playing for almost 30 years, and what I do is not recommended, for anyone. My form works for me, but it's not very technically-correct. Us older guys (a lot of us, anyway) are Backhand Masters who view the forehand as the Debbil's work. I realize the folly of such a statement, but I come by it honestly...And when I backhand, there are only two fingers hooked on the rim. Most are flabbergasted by this.

So all I'm saying is that, if it works for you, don't over-think it. If it's something that feels kinda 50/50, maybe you can work on changing it up. But don't feel compelled to do so, just because it's a little different from Player B's way.

Last edited:
I was self-taught and threw primarily forehand and thumbers for years. The technique you describe is exactly what I used. To me it felt like throwing a baseball sidearm, and thus it was natural for me. Bear in mind that this was the late 90's and an Eagle was the highest speed driver I used for most shots. With today's much higher speed drivers I can see the need for the extra control offered by the 2 finger style that is taught today, but I liked the added snap and distance that the one finger style provided. You definitely need much better technique to throw the one finger style consistently.

I'm primarily RHFH...so, yeah, in a way you are 'doing it wrong'. But it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. To put it in perspective, it's like the difference between a backhand four finger power grip and a four finger fan grip. The amount of power you get in the throw changes.

Throwing forehand with two fingers on the flight plate against the rim as much as possible will give more power to the throw. But are you going for more power? Or just trying to get out of trouble? I've been taught to use one finger when throwing short forehand shots as it won't get as much distance.

But, I feel that at the 'end of the day', what works best is what you should use.

So I'm primarily a backhand player. I've dedicated myself to mastering my backhand capabilities because I believe it's my superpower.

I've been slowly developing a forehand... But I only bring it out when I'm in a whole bunch 'o trouble. I've tried many different grips, but the only one that's ever felt right is one finger in the flight plate forehand... Is this frowned upon?

A buddy of mine who's a great disc golfer with a great forehand only uses his pointer finger in the flight plate... Anyone else with the same techniques? If so, any tips?

I know people who do it. Some even really do it well.

I also know a guy that does it with three fingers. Although two is preferred, WHAT WORKS for you is always the best.

I couldn't get the grip as balanced with a single finger, but I use a two finger spread grip which only has your middle finger on the rim so it doesn't have any more finger pads on the rim.

If it works it works, but if you feel it would be better another way give it a shot.

I use one finger for my forehand. I have large hands and it throws off my lines if I add more. I started off RHBH and that's my main throwing style. Then began to forehand due to todays courses you need both and a turn over. I throw my forehands 250 to 300 with a discraft force as my main forehand.

I throw single finger flicks with firebird and up.

Teebird, whippet can go either two or one, depending on the their

Everything slower than Teebird is two fingers.

The big difference for me, and I think other baseball sidearm throwers, is the release angle of the single finger is more upright. Your hand is positioned like you're shaking someone's hand instead of holding a platter.

Back when I started playing, we didn't have wide rim drivers. Most were BH, didn't know anyone with a FH. Holding a smaller rimmed disc like a pen with one finger felt natural. I'm too stubborn and set in my ways to add a second finger.

A one finger grip with the other on the flight plate is essentially a fan grip for forehand (as opposed to the usual spread out fan grip for backhand) It's great for finesse shots and accuracy. However, you do sacrifice some power. I think for finesse shots/shorter shots/kneeling shots it can add accuracy.

But if you want more power and distance, you're going to need two fingers on the rim. It's a good idea to have both grips in your toolbag.

A one finger grip with the other on the flight plate is essentially a fan grip for forehand (as opposed to the usual spread out fan grip for backhand) It's great for finesse shots and accuracy. However, you do sacrifice some power. I think for finesse shots/shorter shots/kneeling shots it can add accuracy.

But if you want more power and distance, you're going to need two fingers on the rim. It's a good idea to have both grips in your toolbag.

I've hit 400' with one finger grip. Are you saying I could have hit the elusive 500' of internet distance if I just added another finger? Damn.

The big difference for me, and I think other baseball sidearm throwers, is the release angle of the single finger is more upright. Your hand is positioned like you're shaking someone's hand instead of holding a platter.

Completely agree with this and never really considered that perspective before. It holds true for me, was a side arm pitcher and feel most comfortable with one finger FH grip. Great post!

I'm brand new to golf, just the last couple months. I played a lot of Ultimate in the 80s and 90s, so I don't really have a backhand any more- in my mind, power and accuracy (not to mention getting around blockers) are all in the forehand.

I've only ever used my middle finger to throw forehand, with my index finger laying back. Eventually I'll figure out these golf discs to the point where I try developing my throw, but that's a long time in the future.

You mean there's others that do this?
I thought I was a friggin' alien!

Messing around playing HORSE with putts I found I was decent at making flicks under my leg. Usually picked up an easy letter on my mates. Decided to try it full power (minus the under-leg part of course) with a driver and it instantly became my forehand grip :D

Completely agree with this and never really considered that perspective before. It holds true for me, was a side arm pitcher and feel most comfortable with one finger FH grip. Great post!
IDK, two finger power grip feels like my fastball grip. I naturally gripped the disc this way first time.
8kGyrkp.png

Latest posts