• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One of THOSE Days -- OR -- Fate is a Real Beyotch

Nemmers

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Played 33 holes at my home course today to prepare for the monthly tournament this Saturday. Dropped the kids off at school and met up with NEWADDICTION to play a round. Played nine in the rain and wasn't feeling it. Mostly because I was the Brawny Man: hitting every goddam tree on the course. Frustrating.

So I left and we re-convened plus one at 1300. I'd hoped my bad luck would've receded with the rain. It didn't. Seems if there was a tree anywhere in view of my lie I was destined to hit it. Wasn't until the back that Lady Luck finally decided to pull out, spooge on my back, and call it a day. My back feels sticky. Thanks, Castle.

I'd thought about asking if y'all have ever had days like that, but it seems ridiculous. If you haven't had a day when your discs seem to get off on face-planting into tree bark you're a liar. The only real separation is periodicity. Today was my day.

What do you tell yourself to shake off The Ridiculousness? What's been helpful? I've got 99 problems and a birdie ain't one.

Last edited:
I go to a field and throw until I feel happy about my form so i forget about my round. I slow things down, make sure i am taking it one step at a time, smooth and easy and solid. Soon I am just happy to be throwing and that works for me, puts me in the right mindset where i have my issues figured out and mentally prepped for next time.

I take a few days or weeks off. Step back and evaluate my game. Figure out what's going on. The next time I go out, I slow it all down, really focus on my form, and most importantly, take the pressure off myself. Allow myself some room for error. That usually does it.

I get really angry, then I go kick a bag of puppies into a river. Then I beat my wife and children.

I'm just kidding, I love puppies...

In all seriousness, when I have days like that, I just chalk it up to something being off in my form. I then go to a field and throw some drives, work on my putts and drink a beer. Everyone has an off day, the only way to rebound from it is to remind yourself you are a better player then your last hole showed.

Good luck :)

dancing2.png

I blame it on the rain

One time I seriously sat down on the ground and had a Zen moment and it made everything better.

Redemption

When a round starts to get away from me, my buddies and I have coined a phrase we call "redemption peanuts." It started when I had a bad shot, my friend gave me a handful of peanuts and voila, my next shot was a beauty. Think "MJ's Secret Stuff" from Space Jam. Anytime we have a bad shot now we just grab a handful of peanuts or trailmix to take our minds off of it.

If it's the kind of awful day you described, then I can usually find some small piece of my game that still is working; putting, upshots, escape shots, anything to focus on some positive shooting and still have fun.

When I'm having an off day a tell myself that this is the perfect time to practice focusing on one shot at a time. If its a casual round I also quit taking score. I try to always make sure I'm learning something to make me better even if its just learning to recover from bad shots/holes.

Honestly just go do something else that takes any amount of concentration. It will take you off your anger. Then go back.

Well, I have to get up and go to work each day. Spend 8-10 hours toiling away at something that, while I enjoy, is not outside, nor anywhere near as fun as disc golf. Perhaps you should simply be thankful for the opportunity to get outside and play. The chance to breath fresh air, interact with the wonder of the flora and fauna, investigate the subtle nuances that nature providers around every corner and cherish the opportunity to spend time with people of your choice. Wait....what was your question?

Bad day of disc golf is better than...........well, almost anything. :doh::doh:

Just chalk it up to a bad day. I tend to be able to let go of those days easier than the days I'm doing one thing really well (driving) and another really poorly (putting). Those are the days that are most frustrating for me...so basically, every day.

In all seriousness, when I have days like that, I just chalk it up to something being off in my form. I then go to a field and throw some drives, work on my putts and drink a beer. Everyone has an off day, the only way to rebound from it is to remind yourself you are a better player then your last hole showed.

Good luck :)

This^^^^^

If you're playing at a level lower than at your "current best" it's something wrong with your form. I had a period where I was driving worse than I had done in months, stepped back and tried to see what was going on. Found out I wasn't turning my back like you should, got it fixed and now I'm threading through trees i know I should be hitting. Not to say this is what's wrong in your case, but it's just a real example that I was regressing in my form.

That being said, sometimes it's really just an off day. I usually just try to enjoy the rest of the round and come back the next day and get back to the level I know I can play. Hope this helps!

Form issues happen.

The other day I was falling forward after release on the front 9 every 3rd tee. Each time, it lifted my disc up and kicked it 10 degrees to the left. Frustrating but since I knew the source of the problem, I made a point to keep my weight lower and pivot in a balanced fashion on the back 9. I lost a bit of distance but it beat a loss of distance AND hitting trees on the left and/or above the canopy line. Then, round 2 was fine.

If you can't identify the source of the problem, you're basically screwed. At least that was my experience the first 1-1.5 years of play.

Last edited: