• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Other brand's putter most like a Wizard?

DrBaartman

Birdie Member
I know how iconic the Gateway Wizard is, and I'm a big fan of its seemingly magical flight.

What other brand's putter is most like a Wizard in flight?

Also, my favorite putter plastic is Zero Hard, but my favorite putter is the Wiz... So, what gateway run of plastic would feel most like Zero Hard? Very stiff, but still has a tacky feel?

Pure white prototype

Probably one of the special blends is close

Also, my favorite putter plastic is Zero Hard, but my favorite putter is the Wiz... So, what gateway run of plastic would feel most like Zero Hard? Very stiff, but still has a tacky feel?

Gateway "Soft" is anything but. It's very firm. Gateway "Supersoft" is also anything but soft. The problem (some say it's a good thing) with these plastics is that one "Supersoft" putter will be a lot firmer plastic than the "Supersoft" plastic next to it. So there probably are Wizards with the firmness you like (I love Zero Hard/Classic (Hard) myself), but not every disc will be the same firmness.

You may like a Mercy. I've found they fly very similar as a driving/upshot putter. I still putt with eraser wizards through

I keep trying all the different blends Gateway is coming out with. They're all sweet, but nothing beats a seasoned Soft Wizard. The Soft blend is not flexible at all and usually has a bit of a sheen/slickness to it when new, but after a few months it turns into an awesome tacky velvety feel while retaining the stiffness.

Hard to pick a putter that has the same high speed stability of the Wizard without too much low speed fade. I think maybe an S-line P2 would come close?

OP, call Gateway and tell them what you want, they will hook you up.

I know how iconic the Gateway Wizard is, and I'm a big fan of its seemingly magical flight.

What other brand's putter is most like a Wizard in flight?

Are you looking to replace the Wizard? Or find one in the blend you like?

You've already found the best putter, stop looking lol. I'm not sure if you can still get them, but you could at one point get 10 misprints shipped for like 50 bucks. You get a bunch of different plastics.

If you can find a Wizard molded in Reptilian Disc Golf's "Fossil" plastic, you'll find the best base-line putter plastic known to man. Zero Hard, but with more grit. Also, it molds the Wizard up with a slightly tighter shoulder and better grip.

Baring that, Gateway's PWP (Pure White Proto) is pretty close and can be easier to find. Personally, I'd wait for RDG to do another run - support the local DGCR brand.

Otherwise, I know some ex-Wizard throwers that love the Prodiscus Jokeri, but they only come in softer base plastic or premium as far as I've ever seen.

I heard no more fossil wiz

I keep trying all the different blends Gateway is coming out with. They're all sweet, but nothing beats a seasoned Soft Wizard. The Soft blend is not flexible at all and usually has a bit of a sheen/slickness to it when new, but after a few months it turns into an awesome tacky velvety feel while retaining the stiffness.

Hard to pick a putter that has the same high speed stability of the Wizard without too much low speed fade. I think maybe an S-line P2 would come close?

Dish soap gets rid of that sheen.

Try an eraser. You won't be dissapointed. Stiff, with a slightly rubbery texture.

That's a good call.

There is almost certainly a gateway blend that will suit your needs. The trick is finding it, then finding 10 more from the same run

I'd check out some of the Eraser 25 Wizards (these were made in response to them phasing out the G9i blend, just enough give and grip to be legal, but really firm) or ask the guys at Gateway for Eraser Soft, should be what you are looking for.

I'd check out some of the Eraser 25 Wizards (these were made in response to them phasing out the G9i blend, just enough give and grip to be legal, but really firm) or ask the guys at Gateway for Eraser Soft, should be what you are looking for.

The ER25 blends I have are great. Nice and firm but still a little slick to start. Splash a little water on them though, and they develop a ton of grip and start to feel like Eraser plastic.

Are you looking to replace the Wizard? Or find one in the blend you like?

I'm definitely not replacing the Wizard. Nothing beats it for me, and I've tried from Judges to BigBead Omegas to Gauntlets.
But, I just looove Zero Hard feeling plastic for putters.

You've already found the best putter, stop looking lol. I'm not sure if you can still get them, but you could at one point get 10 misprints shipped for like 50 bucks. You get a bunch of different plastics.
Oh, I know. I'm just trying to find a very stiff but tacky Wizard.