• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overhand: Do Faster Discs Net More Distance?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I don't think this guy realizes we're talking about overhand throws here.

My question is, what do you all think about various weights in regards to overhand? I've usually thrown 170-175 for no particular reason other than that's what I've had. Someone recently mentioned they get the best distance out of a 150 Flick. So I'm thinking about picking up a 150 Bliz Destroyer, or the lightest Champion Firebird I can find. As long as it's not windy out, the lighter weight discs seem like a good choice.

A throw, is a throw, is a throw. When you are trying to maximize distance with any throw, what I posted is the most relevant data when it comes to disc selection.

Now if you are trying to obtain a certain shot characteristic from your throw that is something different. If you are looking for a thumb-er that flips over to a roller you are going to have to select a different disc than you would for a maximum distance air shot thrown as a thumb-er.

The OP was asking about maximizing distance with an overhand. If you can impart more force with good form (minimizing OAT) a "faster" disc will travel father before it begins it's typical flight characteristics of fading in the direction opposite of its spin.

Typically most people I know that throw overhand aren't doing so for distance shots in the air. They are looking for specific escape shots or rollers.

Honestly, Its already been said in this thread...but the Epic really is the disc of choice.

Its designed to be "tuned" by bending the disc, which does actually work. The problem is that this requires the plastic to be very soft, and as a result, the durability of these discs is terrible

the epic is the choice of nothing, it's completely unpredictable.

A throw, is a throw, is a throw. When you are trying to maximize distance with any throw, blah, blah,blah.......................and whatever else you said.

No.
Wrong.
You obviously don't throw, or understand the dynamics of an overhand throw.

An overhand shot corkscrews through the air. The disc spends a portion of its flight upside down, and equal portions being vertical.
Regular flight dynamics like glide, and fade, which affect both forehand and backhand throws, do not apply here.

Try it some time.

Some people have told me the Nuke OS can get more D than a Firebird but I don't know if that's really true or not, I don't have the arm to make that determination. All I can tell you is that I've seen Schwebby and TG thumber firechickens 400' and if that's their disc of choice for big D that's probably what you should go with.

I played baseball for ~10 years before disc golf, so had the tomohawk machanics from the start. I can throw my Lat 64 XXX up to 415', whereas I cant get the destroyers/boss that I normally backhand past 360'. On the flip side, I can backhand the distance drivers 100' farther than the XXX. I feel stability is the most important attribute for max D as long as your disc is at least speed ~9-10.

I had to take Blizzards out of my bag. It messed up my timing for my other discs and started hurting my arm.

Wow, I've never heard this before. What part of your arm was this affecting? I'm not doubting you, but I do think it's weird how I read just the other day where Dave Dunipace was saying how lightweight Blizzard discs can help improve someone's throw. Of course, it's possible that was just marketing.

I only have one blizzard disc, which I mainly use just for uphill shots or long open distance. It's never really felt that different to me, other than a slight gain in distance.

The OP was asking about maximizing distance with an overhand. If you can impart more force with good form (minimizing OAT) a "faster" disc will travel father before it begins it's typical flight characteristics of fading in the direction opposite of its spin.

Your logic is backwards for OH shots. Disc speed really isn't as much of a factor as you think. Stability is a much biggest factor.

Take a Whippet and a Nuke SS out and throw a bunch of thumbers for distance. See which one goes further.

I have not experimented with high speed discs with thumbers yet, but the only thing I can tell you right now is with my Whippet, I got my best D throwing hard. On my next shot, I tried throwing softer for an approach shot (lie was in an awkward spot), and I barely got 30 ft (needed about 50-60 ft).

I have not experimented with high speed discs with thumbers yet, but the only thing I can tell you right now is with my Whippet, I got my best D throwing hard. On my next shot, I tried throwing softer for an approach shot (lie was in an awkward spot), and I barely got 30 ft (needed about 50-60 ft).

An overhand is all about pure brute strength. They have to be thrown hard to get anywhere. I said it earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating...overhand distance is almost entirely dependent on the strength/power of the thrower. Doesn't really matter what the disc is if the thrower can't put enough power behind the shot.

It's not like a backhand where max distance really requires a delicate balance of power, spin, and angle that matches the disc being thrown. With the right disc for the shot, a backhand throw can be finessed in a number of ways to do the job. There's no finessing an overhand throw.

An overhand is all about pure brute strength. They have to be thrown hard to get anywhere. I said it earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating...overhand distance is almost entirely dependent on the strength/power of the thrower. Doesn't really matter what the disc is if the thrower can't put enough power behind the shot.

It's not like a backhand where max distance really requires a delicate balance of power, spin, and angle that matches the disc being thrown. With the right disc for the shot, a backhand throw can be finessed in a number of ways to do the job. There's no finessing an overhand throw.

I guess this may lead to a different question: If the strength of the thrower is more important than the disc selection, would it be a bad idea to throw a thumber as an approach shot if there is a chance that the disc would go too far? In the case of my previous post, the first throw was while teeing off on a hole where it is all under some trees and have not had much luck with forehands or backhands. The second throw was intended to get the disc in putting range for par. If it helps clarify my question, should I throw thumbers as hard as possible at all times, or if I am in a place to throw an approach shot, should I "guess" the best amount of force, or just try a different throw instead?

Hardly ever seen a post here containing more bullcrap. Any throw can be finessed and all throws require technique, timing and smooth throwing, not brute force.

Tomahawk & thumber shots require just as much technique & finesse as any other disc golf throwing technique. I also don't believe it is all based on brute strength. When it comes to throwing max distance overhand shots stability is a greater factor than speed. It's common knowledge that drivers can be thrown farther than Mids & Putters but in my experience as long as it's a driver stability matters more than speed by a long shot. I throw more overhand shots than most people do in a average round. It really depends on the course but on average I'd say a normal round consists of 33% overhand throws. My longest throws overhand have been with Whippets & Firebirds. I have large hands but the very wide rimmed/high speed drivers aren't comfortable in my hand & I feel I get a lot more snap out of smaller rimmed drivers overhand. For all those who think stability doesn't matter as much as speed does go out & throw a Katana & Boss then compare it to a Firebird. I promise the Firebird will get more distance. I'm not saying discs that flip quick are bad overhand discs, they still are great on shorter shots &/or when more accuracy is require but when it comes to pure overhand distance stability is by far the biggest factor. For reference I tomahawk around 350' with a good amount of consistency & my thumber needs some work but I can get 300' with good consistency also.

Tomahawk & thumber shots require just as much technique & finesse as any other disc golf throwing technique. I also don't believe it is all based on brute strength. When it comes to throwing max distance overhand shots stability is a greater factor than speed. It's common knowledge that drivers can be thrown farther than Mids & Putters but in my experience as long as it's a driver stability matters more than speed by a long shot. I throw more overhand shots than most people do in a average round. It really depends on the course but on average I'd say a normal round consists of 33% overhand throws. My longest throws overhand have been with Whippets & Firebirds. I have large hands but the very wide rimmed/high speed drivers aren't comfortable in my hand & I feel I get a lot more snap out of smaller rimmed drivers overhand. For all those who think stability doesn't matter as much as speed does go out & throw a Katana & Boss then compare it to a Firebird. I promise the Firebird will get more distance. I'm not saying discs that flip quick are bad overhand discs, they still are great on shorter shots &/or when more accuracy is require but when it comes to pure overhand distance stability is by far the biggest factor. For reference I tomahawk around 350' with a good amount of consistency & my thumber needs some work but I can get 300' with good consistency also.

No need for me to do an experiment on this, I think my questions about whether to use a different disc or throw with smaller distance shots just got answered. :clap:

You guys need a little reading comprehension. I said overhand DISTANCE is all about brute strength. Yes, proper technique helps some, but my main point is that unlike with a backhand or forehand throw, changing discs or angle or speed isn't going to result in noticeable increases in distance. It's still only going to go as far as you can muscle it.

You guys need a little reading comprehension. I said overhand DISTANCE is all about brute strength. Yes, proper technique helps some, but my main point is that unlike with a backhand or forehand throw, changing discs or angle or speed isn't going to result in noticeable increases in distance. It's still only going to go as far as you can muscle it.

Strength does come into play more than most disc golf throws but not as much as your saying. There still is a weight transfer involved that adds distance. Stand still & throw a overhand, then do a run-up in which you transfer your weight from your right foot to your left foot (RHOH). A run-up does give you a weight transfer & added distance. Speed isn't much of a factor as long as your tossing a driver but changing discs & angles effects distance dramatically. Throwing with the disc parallel to the ground compared to vertical above your head proves your point moot right off the bat. The disc thrown parallel will flip faster, cut quicker & is great for short skip shots. Throwing straight up & down gives you the full flip & will give you considerable more distance. My favorite overhand discs are the Whippet, Teebird & Firebird. If I throw my Teebird as hard as I can vertical it will flip dramatically quicker compared to throwing my Whippet or Firechicken full power on the same angle. Also different discs are more comfortable in certain peoples hands than others so that can have an effect also. The lighter the disc the faster it will flip, so the less distance you will achieve. Go throw a Sidewinder & a Firebird that are the same weight as hard as you can on the same angle & come back & tell me I'm a liar...

I throw overhands for shots up to 330'. For max distance, I've tried Firebirds, Monsters, and Max's for extended periods of time. I can get them all out the same distance, and I can get true overstable discs like that out farther than speed overstable discs like a Nuke OS or beefy Destroyer.

However, among the true overstable discs, an increase in speed does lead to an increase in accuracy for me. The Monster has a tighter barrel roll and straighter finish than the Firebird, and the Max even moreso. The Max is so beefy that I sometimes don't even get it to barrel roll, so I've settled on the Monster. I'm much more accurate with it on distance throws than the Firebird, but as it breaks in I can use it like a Firebird for shots that need more left/right movement.

And changing your angle and technique definitely affect your overhand distance just like backhand. I lose a good 50-70' if I release with too much angle or don't release properly, just like backhand. I don't agree with the brute strength argument.

throw a epic and then claim this again.

Haha :D

Latest posts