• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overhand: Do Faster Discs Net More Distance?

Having played with emiller before, and having watched him throw OH's I can confirm that he may know what he is talking about. My experience differs slightly. Stability is by far the most important factor in throwing an OH shot. I throw my Nuke OS further than any other disc on the market for OH shots. It is comparable to an Ape, but I prefer Discraft to Innova (this is merely a personal choice). I also use a Force and Predator for OH shots. At one point in time I threw my Vibram Ascent OH but found I had less control as it was not as overstable. It was comparable to the Predator on distance. That really makes my argument null and void but that is my experience. Like has been said before, the stability really determines how long it takes the disc to go through its normal flight pattern. The more overstable a disc is the longer it will take for OH shots and thus you get more distance. Smoothness and the cleanliness of your release are way more important for distance than brute strength. It is also a specific muscle movement that you need to train, a similar movement to pitching in baseball. Thus a pitcher will be able to throw OH shots better than most. All the guys that can throw OH shots longer than I can played baseball at some point in their life.

the epic is the choice of nothing, it's completely unpredictable.

For the first time you throw it, sure. But if you learn the disc, its really useful. Most people give it up too soon. Its far from the best disc in the game, and it is definitely a gimmick, but it does work

I am surprised there isn't more mention of the Ape in this thread. Is it just that all Innova throwers stick with Firechickens for OH (maybe because the smaller rim gives better grip)? In fact it doesn't seem like the Ape has gotten much love in general, but I don't play many tourneys anymore so other than DGCR and Discaroo I don't know much about what folks are throwing these days.

Everyone has different arm slots. Plain and simple

I will say I agree with the comment about strength being more important for overhand. Not everything, but more important than in backhand. Whenever I'm really exhausted, I don't even bother throwing overhands unless it's a short approach/escape shot. I can still muster up decent backhand drives when tired, but overhands always come out so weak.

There's no finessing an overhand throw.

Wrong. I used to do a soft thumber with a Rhyno when I got into trouble. Thrown softly about 15' to 20' up, it will fall gently to the left (thrown right-handed) upside down and land pancake flat.

Wrong. I used to do a soft thumber with a Rhyno when I got into trouble. Thrown softly about 15' to 20' up, it will fall gently to the left (thrown right-handed) upside down and land pancake flat.
Troof. There are many many facets to the OH throw. We haven't even ventured into the spectacular line drive thumbers that skip hard to the right.

Alright, I experimented yesterday with Tee Birds and my Whippet for thumbers and max distance (I at least assumed I had the same strength and angle). The Whippet was the clear winner. My only disclaimer is that the whippet was in the upper 160's, while my TB's were in the 150's (I used to have a 160's glow TB, but misplaced it at a tournament and nobody called about it yet).

Troof. There are many many facets to the OH throw. We haven't even ventured into the spectacular line drive thumbers that skip hard to the right.

It's so cute how some are narrow minded to line shaping:thmbup:

For the strength+technique battle going on yeah I throw OH farther than I would if I wasn't as strong, but at a buck 40 soaking wet technique sure as hell has something to do with it. This isn't a pissing contest but as a small guy I can certainly throw them farther than many people twice even three times as strong as I am (or at least in relation to weight lifting) - technique has to account for more than just some of the distance.

I believe the viper just has a bigger rim than the whippet. Both fairway discs.... i got a few buds that can kill overhands a couple of em absolutely huck whippets and one other guy likes the viper. From what I've seen that viper is pretty good for those OH skip approaches.... pretty cool ahot especially when it goes in then I'm juat cursing in amazement . "What the hell.... @$&* You man how the $*?@ you do that?!" Hahaha

I thumber XXX about 100m. I tested to throw to radar gun and got 127km/h (with light weight blizzard disc). Dropping disc weight to ~140g gives about 10 - 15 km/h more launch speed. Light weight discs loose too much stability to handle the power. I have tried nuke os, flick and stiletto, but XXX seems to work best for me. Its funny how extreme stiletto is with rhbh, but it doesn't work as well with thumber.

I am a forehand/overhand thrower. I have tried dozens of discs overhand, my best success comes from a star monster thrown completely flat with an over hand thumber. The Monster flies straight as an arrow and holds up in strong wind-- if you throw it at the correct height you will easily pass 300 feet every time.

Another disc that held up surprisingly well was a XXX from latitude 64. Not quite as far as my monster but it doesn't have three-seven years of being broken in like my monsters.

For shorter distances I go back to my roots and stick with my star beast. I learned overhands with this disc and depending where I need to be I can always set up my final putt. Thank you De La Veaga for teaching me how to overhand consistently, I miss that course.

Note: I throw it mostly with my feet as if I am throwing a baseball in from the outfield. Learning to use your feet for most of the throw will double your throw distance and make sure you *DONT* hurt your elbow or shoulder. I have surprised a lot of people with the distance from my monster and I would highly recommend this disc to anyone who wants an amazing overhand disc~