• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Mid

Get a Z Hornet , and you will be very happy. I use it for all my overstable mid shots. It flies like an overstable Buzz

This is a pretty good suggestion. Also if you wanted to try a European disc I would recommend the Pain. This is my OS mid and I find it very similar to Champ rocs without the price tag.

On the KC pro Roc my only suggestion is if you do not live near a disc golf store you could be very surprised with what ends up on the door step. They have a wide range of variance from pop tops, stiff to waxy crap. (another option if you want one is to give the store a call and have them pick one out for you)

Good Luck - Koffee

If you like DGA plastic, check out the Shockwave. Flies like a Roc, but with less glide. Should hold its flight characteristics longer than kc or dx, too. DGA's pro line plastic is lovely. I just got one at Worlds, can't wait to try it out.

The Hornet is really speed sensitive and fast for a mid. I had to throw it pretty hard for it to work, but if I got on it too much it would fade late and miss the line. If I gave it exaggerated hyzer at all it just cut through the air without much forward penetration at all. The Aftershock is OK, but when there are other discs on the market that are just as stable and have glide, why wouldn't you choose one of them?
The Vector is simply the best in this class of discs, especially considering how MVP makes each other companys' quality control look laughable.

Lack of glide isn't always a bad thing. It can be quite useful. And it can make a disc particularly controllable. Pig, firebird, rhyno - these come to mind. But, you're right, discspeed, there are many to choose from.

Lack of glide, much like stability, adds to the predictability and wind resistance of a mold, but takes a heavy toll on a disc's versatility across situations.

I gave up on the Hornet much for the reasons discspeed talks about. When driving with it, it was a nice moderately OS disc but was a bit long for a mid. Take some off of it to shorten it up and it becomes more OS to where I would miss my line.

FWIW, I didn't go searching for another OS mid, really. At least not yet as I don't see Rocs as moderately overstable but more just stable with a healthy fade. Reminds me of a short Teebird, really. So far it does what I need but I'm still evaluating.

I gave up on the Hornet much for the reasons discspeed talks about. When driving with it, it was a nice moderately OS disc but was a bit long for a mid. Take some off of it to shorten it up and it becomes more OS to where I would miss my line.

FWIW, I didn't go searching for another OS mid, really. At least not yet as I don't see Rocs as moderately overstable but more just stable with a healthy fade. Reminds me of a short Teebird, really. So far it does what I need but I'm still evaluating.

The Fuse and Vector are a perfect 1-2 punch, especially once you get a Vector a little seasoned.

The Fuse and Vector are a perfect 1-2 punch, especially once you get a Vector a little seasoned.

Heh. You are not helping when I already see that shiny Vector plastic they are in; but I still would like to have a mid I use available in baseline plastic. Thats my confidence structure when throwing over or near water. Of course, I could always just disc up to a fairway for extra peace of mind if I had to I guess.

I heartily agree, I rock these 24/7 with the addition of a beefy Star Stingray to fit the neutral spot. I am finding I am throwing my vector anytime there isn't anything on my right and I'm between 75 to 200 feet out.

Heh. You are not helping when I already see that shiny Vector plastic they are in; but I still would like to have a mid I use available in baseline plastic. Thats my confidence structure when throwing over or near water. Of course, I could always just disc up to a fairway for extra peace of mind if I had to I guess.

Just look at the Vector as another variant of the Roc...It's pretty darn close. In fact if you look at the Roc's evolution before the Plus mold (san marino/ontario/rancho) each model got a thinner but blunter nose and a bigger bead. The Vector is like the next step in this evolution. I have a couple of friends who simply use it interchangeably with their Rocs as their overstable bookend. And imo the broken in flight of the Vector follows the dx pattern more than the premium Rocs (losing LSS faster than HSS).

Latest posts