• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

overstable midrange

Do you all consider a basic Roc to be overstable?

On the inbounds chart, it's pretty close to the Vector, Wasp, Mace, Obex, etc.

The Buzzz is not OS. And the Comet is not neutral.
This guy has OAT.

OS means it has a fade if thrown flat. Stable or Neutral means that a disc will hold the line you put it on.

A Comet, an stable/neutral disc, will hold a hyzer, go straight, and hold an anny. An understable disc will not demonstrate those same properties. This is why lots of people use neutral discs for an anny disc, because it will lock into the line.

Understable discs are intended to use for more of a turnover, where if you throw it flat it will turn on its own. These can also be annyed, like you would a comet, but they are not the same.

The nice thing about a neutral mid is that if thrown on an anny it will be slightly longer and make for big sweeping hyzers/anhyzers. Plus, a neutral disc will beat into an understable disc.

I hope this helps. There has been several discussions about the differences between the two.
This guy knows what I'm talking about. :thmbup:

Do you all consider a basic Roc to be overstable?

On the inbounds chart, it's pretty close to the Vector, Wasp, Mace, Obex, etc.
A new DX Rancho Roc? Yep. They beat into stable pretty quickly and understable when thrashed. That's why they have so much appeal, a mold that covers basically everything through wear stages.
An Ontario Roc is closer to stable though, more Comet-like (or used to be, you know how Innova is).

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just too much of an Amateur, but I use my newer, heavier Z-Buzzz for hyzering and wind, and use a beaten up DX Roc (or 2000-era Champ Stingray that still flies like the day I bought it despite 1,000 trees) for straight or slightly turnover shots. I've always had some sort of ridiculously overstable driver for getting out of trouble shots that are sharply angled and 200' or less. The Ram in the '90s (you'd have to replace it every few months), or a Z-Flick today that will outlive me and all of my descendants.

Drone is by far my favorite, but Discraft can't make a Z drone within legal weight limit, so I've had to change to Gators. WAY different. Barely even can compare them. If you don't care about weight limit i would go 100% Z Drone. Favorite disc ever.

The gator has no glide compared to drone, about 15-20% shorter with same effort. And thrown harder to try and make up that distance, it gets quite inaccurate. Whereas the drone could be pushed further or shorter and still fly the same. (with little to no OAT for these comparisons)

Gator flies very differently in head wind versus tail, and left or right. Whereas the Drone flew the exact same no matter what the wind was doing (Same distance and left/right movement no matter the wind). My gators stall out quite short into a head wind, get pushed up/down depending on angle to the wind. (drone doesn't)

Thinking about trying out a Zone, to see if it flies more like the Drone..real bummed about my drones.

I use my Buzzz on occasion into a stiff headwind for more overstable throws, only when I need a few more feet. I just throw it further than my Hornet. But for most throws where I need a more fade its the Hornet.

Latest posts