• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce #29190

Is it just me, or does Paige seem like she's more relaxed and having a great time out there?

At least moreso than I remember last year.

Agreed.

With that said, it is pretty easy to be energized at the beginning of the season when you are playing well. The test will be how she responds if things start to slip a bit.

I watched her quite a bit last year and she seemed uninterested, distracted and unhappy a lot of the time
Was it because she was playing poorly or something else? Who knows, but she does seem more upbeat and focused so far.
I think my perception of her last year had more to do with me than her.

Last year she seemed to be motivating herself with the old Reggie Jackson "I'm the straw that stirs the drink" thing. You know, I hated Reggie Jackson. I thought he was an arrogant jerk. What the Hell, man? Like I know anything about Reggie Jackson. He had a bravado and part of his thing was talk the talk and back it up. It's a thing. It didn't play well with me, but not playing well with people I think was part of the thing. I think he liked making fans hate him, then hitting home runs against our teams and listening to us boo. It's what made him tick.

I don't think coming off as arrogant and not being liked was Pierce's intention. I think she just wanted to motivate herself. The coming off poorly thing wasn't the intention. It's just how "I'm the straw that stirs the drink" plays in Poughkeepsie. She might have learned a bit from that, her offseason interviews seemed a more...approachable? Likable? Which is just my perception of the same person talking without doing the "I'm the straw that stirs the drink" thing. She's probably the same as she always has been.

Give that house in Florida a couple of years for appliances to break and we will see how happy she is. :|

Paige has been competitive in this sport for half of her young life, and her accolades and accomplishments speak for themselves and are higher than almost any other FPO player, past or present. Having said that, her competition is higher and more plentiful. I think her personal life has become more fulfilling and I think that she will continue to compete at the highest levels of her division but will not beat herself up so much when someone else happens to play just a little bit better than her.

Still a big fan of her and this is only my opinion. :thmbup:

I saw the attached image on IG and it brought to mind a fun question...

Focusing purely on the "what if...."

Much of the disc golf community has coalesced around the idea that Paige Pierce is the FPO GOAT because a) competition is stiffer and b) relatively few disc golfers were around when Korver was dominant.

If Juliana Korver had a very strong season and won a World Championship at age 51 would the entire narrative completely reverse, and would Korver lock Pierce out of any chance of being considered the FPO GOAT unless she did something similar far down the line?

I understand the unlikely nature of this scenario, given Korver is a 937 rated player and didn't have a stretch last year that showed she can play a tournament at that 980s level it took to win Worlds at Waco. I'm just taking the "better golf is coming" vibe from this post and building a fun what-if. IF it happened, how would it change the discussion?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 9.58.21 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 9.58.21 AM.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 120

Much of the disc golf community has coalesced around the idea that Paige Pierce is the FPO GOAT because a) competition is stiffer and b) relatively few disc golfers were around when Korver was dominant.

If Juliana Korver had a very strong season and won a World Championship at age 51 would the entire narrative completely reverse, and would Korver lock Pierce out of any chance of being considered the FPO GOAT unless she did something similar far down the line?

I understand the unlikely nature of this scenario, given Korver is a 937 rated player and didn't have a stretch last year that showed she can play a tournament at that 980s level it took to win Worlds at Waco. I'm just taking the "better golf is coming" vibe from this post and building a fun what-if. IF it happened, how would it change the discussion?

I would not count Juliana out of anything. I think winning another FPO Worlds, would put her in a pretty good position to lay claim to GOAT.....but if Paige puts another three Worlds in her showcase? I mean, at this point there is some golf in front of both of them.

Let's see how this plays out.

From what I've seen, her decision making and driving accuracy make up for lack of elite distance. I think the biggest inhibitor of her winning the World Championship, is not her age, it's her putting. Udisc has her at 51% C1X putting, which ranks at 68th. Her C2 putting is 6%, ranking 60th. If she could somehow get her C1x percentage above 80%, she would be a serious contender.

From what I've seen, her decision making and driving accuracy make up for lack of elite distance. I think the biggest inhibitor of her winning the World Championship, is not her age, it's her putting. Udisc has her at 51% C1X putting, which ranks at 68th. Her C2 putting is 6%, ranking 60th. If she could somehow get her C1x percentage above 80%, she would be a serious contender.

Totally makes sense.

All just add that confidence is key to putting well.

I'm not handing JK and wins yet, but I'd be surprised if a more confident JK doesn't putt better than a JK who wasn't quite sure she still belonged.

I wonder if any of that has to do with being officially out and in a relationship.

That'd be my guess.

From what I've heard, many people feel a great sense of relief in no longer having to hide that aspect of who they are, or just the sense of freedom that comes from feeling you're now being true to yourself.

As a few others have said, it's easy to feel enthusiastic at the beginning of the season, before the grind wears you down.

As with many things in life, it's probably
a combination of factors, but I'd have to imagine getting situated in a new home with Alyssa is a big part of it.

I wonder if any of that has to do with being officially out and in a relationship.

Well I just went down a rabbit hole to learn all of this. Good for PP, I would really hope that most all disc golfers would feel confident coming out. To me, we are an accepting bunch of people that all love the same thing.

Well I just went down a rabbit hole to learn all of this. Good for PP, I would really hope that most all disc golfers would feel confident coming out. To me, we are an accepting bunch of people that all love the same thing.

I missed it to, admittedly spending A LOT less time on social media than I used to. Good for them! If it keeps Paige's head in the game and she can compete at her best that's all I care about.

Side note, that quote from Juliana gave me chills. That's the kind of confident talk I like, not so much the brashness that Paige mostly shows.

Was this actually not official until recently? I have only been around since early 2020, but I thought it pretty clear that Paige and Alyssa have been together the entire time...

Was this actually not official until recently? I have only been around since early 2020, but I thought it pretty clear that Paige and Alyssa have been together the entire time...

Go back to post #888 or so. Was discussed last fall after the home purchase. It became official then.

Anyone with LGBT family members could see it well before.

Go back to post #888 or so. Was discussed last fall after the home purchase. It became official then.

Anyone with LGBT family members could see it well before.

It was also glaringly obvious when they went to Venice together in 2019...
And Thailand in 2018...
And when Paige wrote Alyssa a birthday post in 2020...

Bunch of closed minded disc golf dudes didn't notice though. Tracks.

Remember for a lot of that time Paige and Alyssa were part of a travel group with what's his name too and if you were the sort to speculate on personal life it wasn't entirely obvious (at least from a social media view) what exactly was going on there.

Bunch of closed minded disc golf dudes didn't notice though. Tracks.

I don't care to speculate on someone else's relationship, I can't think of something that matters or affects me so little as what someone does with their personal life. Just because people go on trips with what we perceive as friends doesn't automatically mean anything more about their relationship and it's certainly not my place to try and figure it out.

"Close minded", nah - more like lives under a rock

I think other than a couple weird internet trolls who really showed up on her and Gilbert's feature on Jomez the response from the community was overwhelmingly positive and accepting. I might be remembering wrong but i thought I remembered even Hanna McB had something positive to say and that would be something coming from a Falwell alum.