• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce: Slo Mo=Ridiculous!

What knocks me out is her follow-through. Her throwing arm travels alll the way around her body to where it's pointing straight out to the left - a 270-degree swing AFTER she releases.

Hm. I wonder if that makes any sort of difference???

im 6'2'', 250lbs, and i have issues getting out to 330'. it would be awesome to play a round with her because she is just this tiny little girl compared to me and she would be throwing an ungodly distance farther than me. it would be comical to watch us as a duo play a round.

i tell you what as soon as i read this i thought of the old Jackass clips of Preston chases Wee Man thru random urban settings....good times:thmbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
What knocks me out is her follow-through. Her throwing arm travels alll the way around her body to where it's pointing straight out to the left - a 270-degree swing AFTER she releases.

Thats some follow through right there... And yes, I think its making a lot of difference for her. She drives like 50+ feet past the other women. :eek:

IMG_0455.jpg

im 6'2'', 250lbs, and i have issues getting out to 330'. it would be awesome to play a round with her because she is just this tiny little girl compared to me and she would be throwing an ungodly distance farther than me. it would be comical to watch us as a duo play a round.

i tell you what as soon as i read this i thought of the old Jackass clips of Preston chases Wee Man thru random urban settings....good times:thmbup:

LOL, i promise not to chase her (and weren't they in their underwear in that part too)

Does anyone know what kind of distance this girl can get? Max, average, anything?

There's a similar video from the same event of McCabe, the exact same thing happens with his arm on his follow through. It looks like its a result of putting power all the way through the throw.

Does anyone know what kind of distance this girl can get? Max, average, anything?

My recollection is she is a 400+ foot thrower. I looked up the Worlds distance results and she posted a distance of about 422 feet...that was into a headwind.

Dang, that's some good distance, especially considering the best girls throw ever was less than 500' last I checked.

This is interesting. Wouldn't a lot of people consider this bad advice--to use overstable drivers and throw them as hard as u can on an anny? And yet she's one of the best on the tour. I guess it goes to the fact that u can make different techniques work as long as ur consistent. Also, she's probably not a big proponent of the whole 'discing down' thing, lol.

i like the mccabe comparison. also reminds me of brinster and john e mccray. it really demonstrates the importance of accelerating through the hit and allowing the momentum to pull the body around its axis.

aside from release angle problems, i think the biggest problem that beginners have is not ripping through the shot.

This is interesting. Wouldn't a lot of people consider this bad advice--to use overstable drivers and throw them as hard as u can on an anny? And yet she's one of the best on the tour. I guess it goes to the fact that u can make different techniques work as long as ur consistent. Also, she's probably not a big proponent of the whole 'discing down' thing, lol.

As far as I understand, the purpose of discing down and not throwing overstable discs is to become more accurate and controlled with better form. She has none of these problems.

In regards to the original poster clip:
Mixed M/F expo skins in Kamloops, safari layout.
I was downrange left for this shot. Ironically for this discussion, Paige's form and shot was good, but Liz Lopez (Paired for alt shot with emac) grabbed the skin as Liz ripped one, and got the gallery "oooohs", well past the others, including this one.

As far as I understand, the purpose of discing down and not throwing overstable discs is to become more accurate and controlled with better form. She has none of these problems.

Ok, but she suggests for beginners to throw this way too for getting good distance. This gives me the impression she started out throwing this way and made it work for her. So why couldn't other people do the same?

Ok, but she suggests for beginners to throw this way too for getting good distance. This gives me the impression she started out throwing this way and made it work for her. So why couldn't other people do the same?

It kind of sounds like she advocates torque monkeying, but really she is explaining how she throws with a lot of snap and can get extra distance that way. Then she goes on to suggest more understable discs for low snap players/beginners. Its solid advice, just a little confusing starting the way she did.

No, she's not a fan of discing down. I played a practice round with her in April '10 at Shawnee Park in Plano. She and the guy she was practicing with were kind enough to give me some pointers. She suggested I throw a Wraith. I could barely strong arm 225 feet at the time.

As for size, my guess is 110 lbs max. She's tiny.

Most of Shawnee's baskets are less than 400 feet. She was parking them all. On the one over 500 feet, it was drive, putter, putter. I think Shawnee was her home course growing up.

Their advise helped me a lot!

Last edited:
The current women's distance record is 525 feet, and it was thrown with an Orion LF in cold dry air in Europe. Before that, Val had the distance record with a 150 Wraith at 480 feet, I think. Val also is a proponent of throwing a flex shot. She says what works for guys did not work for her. In clinics, she advises ladies to throw starting with the disc at the left shoulder.

I've tried throwing from the left shoulder with faster discs, and it does keep the nose down, but I still only get about 300 feet doing that. I get the same distance throwing a teebird with a hyzer release and bad nose angle. And I've had a few freaky occasions where I somehow got the nose down on the teebird and it flew much further. I'm still trying to duplicate that in field practice.