• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Paul Mcbeth Luna review

So is the much more affordable Roach.
Yes. as i said in an previous post, the flight and feel are almost identical

But i feel that the CryZtal plastic is the best Discraft makes. . and the Swirly ESP are sure pretty.

And as i putt with the Luna it´s nice to have the same mould as a thrower.

Is that worth $10 more, not really . . .but for me it is

So that puddle doesn't affect the glide? Really like the puddled soft X Roaches, but they seem to drop quicker. I only notice it at shorter approach distances though..
Haven't got your hands on a Big Z yet? I'd put them even with the Ti Roach, but I've seen some other opinions.

Maybe just abit less glide, but need to throw them more. . .but the "puddle top" is extremely small. . but it is notable

I have a bigger sample now, and i hope to dial them in this weekend and really see which of the discs have the "best" flight.
I did like the feel of the CryZtal over the ESP.

No Big-Z LUNA for me . . but i might try to trade a CryZtal or ESP for a Big-Z

I kind of feel like the Big-Z, CryZtal and ESP runs are "trial runs" to sort out which one is best suited for a stock run
I know the Big-Z run gave alot of X-outs. . hard to get the stamp to "stick"

Just came back after a 36-hole "LUNA only" round . .played with 3XESP and 3XCryZtal LUNA´s.
And i think i have to revise my previous statement, the CryZtal LUNA is a hair more stable than i first thought, especially on shorter throws.
If i throw the ESP and CryZtal at "250ft power" it basically goes straight and have a small smooth fade. . but if i throw them on 100-150ft upshot power the CryZtal fades alot harder than the ESP does

For me the blue CryZtal and Pink Swirl ESP is going in my bag. . it´s a super nice flying and feeling combo

Hey all, I'm hoping someone can advise/confirm what I've been working to figure out in the last couple of weeks.

I picked up a stock run Luna along about mid July. It's about the firmness of most KC Pro, but a little grippier and with just a tiny bit of grit to it. It also has speckles of all kinds of colors throughout the grey plastic. It feels exactly how I see most people describing the first runs, but it's not stamped as a first run.

Then, I picked up two more a couple of weeks ago and they are pretty different. They're much softer, maybe a little harder than a trilogy medium or a gateway SS. They're grippier, and smoother. The color speckles are absent, they're just steel blue with black specs throughout.

All 3 of them have the exact same stamp and inner rim markings, just like the attached picture. Have there been multiple stock runs already that are very different? If so, the softer ones are the newer ones, correct? If so, that's unfortunate for me, as I was really digging the slightly grippy KC Pro feel, but I think most people will like the softer ones better.

I read the thread entirely just now and didn't see anybody discussing a difference in the normal stock runs.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 18
I've never thrown a Roach with the stability of a Luna... Luna can definitely handle a lot more torque.

I've posted this before, but it didn't seem to give Paul any trouble going from the Big Z Roach, to a Big Z Luna:

Roach:
https://youtu.be/8Uu_VITLAYY?t=373
Luna:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKNikhvYvZY

Same angle release and height. The Big Z Luna might have a hair more stability, but it's spot on with Ti Roaches. My small stack of Ti attests to that.

The real difference between a Luna and a Roach is about $7 MSRP.

And the plastic I referenced a few posts ago... of course, if I can't get the run I like for normal retail, I won't be buying any more... which is disappointing to say the least. REALLY liked the KC Pro-like with slight grittiness run. :doh:

Finally got to throw my ESP Luna. Safe to say it's a decent amount more stable than any of the proto or stock runs I've thrown. Super solid driving putter.

And the plastic I referenced a few posts ago... of course, if I can't get the run I like for normal retail, I won't be buying any more... which is disappointing to say the least. REALLY liked the KC Pro-like with slight grittiness run. :doh:

I really like the pre-Luna first Paul McBeth Prototype, but Discraft says they can't replicate that particular plastic blend. I call B.S. on that, because you KNOW if Paul McBeth had said "Hey, that's the most awesome plastic ever!", they'd be making lots more of it.

Anyhoo, if people want to pay a lot more for the Luna than other discs, they're entitled to do so.... :|

I really like the pre-Luna first Paul McBeth Prototype, but Discraft says they can't replicate that particular plastic blend. I call B.S. on that, because you KNOW if Paul McBeth had said "Hey, that's the most awesome plastic ever!", they'd be making lots more of it.

Anyhoo, if people want to pay a lot more for the Luna than other discs, they're entitled to do so.... :|

I hear you. I haven't even tried that version because I figure it's pointless, even if I loved it, you can't get more of them.

I don't play a ton, so $16-18 bucks doesn't bother me. Putting putters can last me for years. But, artificial scarcity and driving the price to 20 or even 30+ bucks over time isn't cool. Although the Luna I have that I like the most isn't a first run, it's not like the current run either. Not sure why they've switched 2+ times. :\

It doesn't matter how much Paul wants it, if the material isn't available, they can't make the same blend. Discraft doesn't make their own plastic pebbles and make them into discs. They get their plastic and rubber from a separate supplier and the white rubber that made that blend what it is, wasn't being produced anymore. So they transitioned to black rubber for the first runs and it maintained a similar firmness but didn't have the gritty texture. The most recent run came out quite a bit softer which I absolutely believe Paul had a hand in that decision, as that blend was probably the most consistent staying the chains putting towards the middle and end of the season at worlds.

It doesn't matter how much Paul wants it, if the material isn't available, they can't make the same blend. Discraft doesn't make their own plastic pebbles and make them into discs. They get their plastic and rubber from a separate supplier and the white rubber that made that blend what it is, wasn't being produced anymore. So they transitioned to black rubber for the first runs and it maintained a similar firmness but didn't have the gritty texture. The most recent run came out quite a bit softer which I absolutely believe Paul had a hand in that decision, as that blend was probably the most consistent staying the chains putting towards the middle and end of the season at worlds.

The odd thing is that the Rubber Blend Buzzz came out AFTER they said that the plastic for the LUNA was not available anymore.

To me the plastic in the Rubber Blend Buzzz feels close to the Proto LUNA.

The odd thing is that the Rubber Blend Buzzz came out AFTER they said that the plastic for the LUNA was not available anymore.

To me the plastic in the Rubber Blend Buzzz feels close to the Proto LUNA.

Hmm I may need to check out a rubber blend buzzz for myself. Does it have the same grittiness the proto lunas had?

Latest posts