• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth signs 10 year, $10 000 000 contract with Discraft

I meant as far as personality. They are trying to curate this persona that clearly isn't them. They are kinda like the parents in sitcoms that go to concerts and embarrass their kids.

Hippies were timid types, laid back and stoned most times if not tripping on acid of some kind. "Peace and love, man" was their most used sentence. Of course I'm stereotyping but stereotypes exist because they're true.

The closest to a hippy on the pro tour is Conrad. And not just because he has long hair but that doesn't hurt.

Last edited:
Only losers are users. I only just found out that this sport is sometimes associated with "stoners". Makes me rethink whether I want to continue with it. :(

Not even close to mostly everyone in society smokes weed.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/284135/percentage-americans-smoke-marijuana.aspx

This says it's 12%, and even if the percent has risen since this poll (considering the nightmare we went through in 2020), I don't think it would currently be more than 20%.

That is an interesting poll, thank you for posting it. I was more referring to my observation that pot smoking isn't limited to hippies in tie die, but cuts across all demographic categories.

And the image of hippies being timid peace loving dudes is false also, the hippies I have played with are as competitive as the next player when you put a dollar on the line.

I meant as far as personality. They are trying to curate this persona that clearly isn't them. They are kinda like the parents in sitcoms that go to concerts and embarrass their kids.

I was more referring to Chris Woj's post that the local golf course sent out fake hippies to make disc golfers look bad, lol.

When I started playing in he 90's there were still some lagger hippies floating around, and they didn't do it to be ironic, they were simply a relic of the past. Most real hippies joined corporate America along time ago.

That is an interesting poll, thank you for posting it. I was more referring to my observation that pot smoking isn't limited to hippies in tie die, but cuts across all demographic categories.

And the image of hippies being timid peace loving dudes is false also, the hippies I have played with are as competitive as the next player when you put a dollar on the line.

Hippies are extinct, I was talking about the real hippies from the 60s and 70s.

I was more referring to Chris Woj's post that the local golf course sent out fake hippies to make disc golfers look bad, lol.
That was an effort to be facetious. I responded to his claim that a bunch of guys he doesn't know are "fake" by taking it to a completely absurd place. There is no one here who believes in a "big ball golf."

... At least I hope not.

There is no one here who believes in a "big ball golf."

What if we believe in a big golf ball.

87d316453eb4ef3fb9c821602e7e2a51.jpg

Only losers are users. I only just found out that this sport is sometimes associated with "stoners". Makes me rethink whether I want to continue with it. :(

Those damn "stoners" ruin everything. You should probably just quit playing this instant. I mean, you'd be a loser then because quitters never win. And only losers are users so....

And mass murderers eat, drink, and sleep. Guess we shouldn't...

We need to quit deciding what things we like and choose to do in life based upon other people. Now if you only have one course to play, and the other people that are always there make it uncomfortable for you, then don't play.

But I have young kids and have never felt uncomfortable taking them on any disc golf course to date. There's been a few folks I have met that I wouldn't want to play with in a foursome, but other than tourneys, that's always my choice as well...

Disc golf, if one desires, is one of the most isolated sports one can play.

People who use the internet also do that stuff.

So you should probably just stop using the internet as well.

I think the reason alot of disc golfers don't enjoy watching disc golf, is due to the physical addition of actually playing. This sport is highly tactile, to sit back and watch someone else participate in their addiction (subliminal addiction at that more than likely) has to send a negative response to some people. I love watching live disc golf. I always have to go out and throw after watching it however. ;) lol...

There HAS to be a very high percentage of people introduced to frisbees at some point in their life. I have yet to show someone disc golf footage and at the least not have a conversation strike up about frisbees, frolf, etc. While the sport is gaining traction, we're also at the point where players for whatever reason, show very little personality diversity, so for a sport that has it's roots at the beach, we come across pretty bland to new non playing viewers. Our current live production highlights that all too well unfortunately.

Hmm, sports addiction but on days/times I can't play I like watching tournaments like the recent Las Vegas one. Been watching on and off for 3 years now. It's amazing how good the production from Jomez and the rest are in the meantime. But mostly, it's about seeing shots I simply can't make yet and some players have cool Youtube content too.

Not a steady watcher though, mostly bc I never watched sports freqeuntly and just have no TV at all. I probably wouldn't watch though if it moved off of youtube onto ESPN or whatever or became a pay to watch thing.

When I heard this news I was blown away! This is wonderful of course for McBETH & great for DG pro level players.

But look at the growth of the sport, especially since Covid! It's BOOMING!
Five years from now Paul will regret agreeing to such a long contract!

This is exactly like the famous Scottie Pippen deal!!

Paul will be more than comfortable of course but watch what happens over the next few years with players contracts, they will explode.

I thought the same thing in the 90s with soccer and MLS, especially as all the schools had soccer leagues. But the only thing I ever so in the mainstream was a soccer player (forget the name) sponsoring a powerbar.

And Google Trends tells me soccer is about 40x more popular than Disc Golf.

I think there is a difference between knowing a thing and mindshare. More people than ever know disc golf (and love it), kinda like everyone knows bowling, but I think the mindshare it occupies is still low.