• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay2Play poll

if your free public courses turned pay, what would you do?

• I'd still go every chance I got.

Votes: 138 45.7%
  • I would definitely play a lot less.

Votes: 46 15.2%
  • I would start playing at better pay2play courses

Votes: 71 23.5%
  • I'm not paying for this course, especially when there are other park goers all over it.

Votes: 45 14.9%
  • I'm done throwing frisbee, I'm gonna start paintballing!

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A few courses here are P2P. The ones that are look for $5 per round or day, depends on the course. There are a few that are worth the $5 in maintenance alone. There is a $5 P2P course that I have played a couple of times. Every time played, I have wanted to ask for $2 back. That simply has to do with it is not a great course. It is very well maintained, however the design is lacking on a few holes. This is a super high traffic course, so the $5 helps.

I can tell you that P2P does not cut down on courses where you find broken glass or graffiti. There is an example near me. Two courses that are equally challenging, one is P2P and one is not. Both have had their fair share of broken glass and graffiti.

The city free park with a P2P course is a bit baffling to me. Considering how the course came to being and the multi-use is strange. For a person who builds a course and maintains it on their private land, P2P clearly makes sense. Baskets, tree clearing, maintenance, and cement are not free.

Bottom-line, P2P makes sense for some situations, however not all. There are rumors of a few city courses here going P2P. Of the three, only 1 will get my dollars. The other two will need to do some very serious upgrades and changes.

I am going to guess you are talking about Kaposia. I have not played Kaposia, nor will I as long as it is a P2P going to the people who are supposed to be running it. I have seen pictures of what that course looks like, graffiti, trash cans overflowing, trash all over the course, course just not taken care of. I would never pay to play that course unless it actually starts being taken care of by those that are being paid.

Personally it would piss me off. One of the best parts of DG is it is not cost restrictive. All you need is a set of decent discs and you are good to go. You don't need to pay to play (most the time) you just show up and it is laid back and fun.

Keep disc golf free.

Because our tax dollars paid for the installation?

Not necessarily. I think people would be surprised how often free to use park courses are installed and maintained largely by volunteer labor and independent fundraising that the parks departments (and their tax-generated coffers) don't have anything to do with.

Disc Golf courses are relatively inexpensive but ongoing maintenance can mount up. If the course area was not being maintained before, then either new tax dollars or fees are needed to cover it. Fees make more sense since the users end up paying them.

I'm sure the people who use the ball golf courses and swimming pools had their tax dollars pay for those too. Yet those type of facilities generally also charge a use fee.

I know that a lot of disc golf course installations were paid for at least in part by donations by the local club or through sponsorships. Sometimes the entity owning the park takes the bill for maintenance, but when the coffers get thin, maintenance tends to get on the minimal side. You get what you don't pay for.

Last edited:
The 1 thing about pay2play.....if it IS pay.....the course should be maintained and also have good signage and teepads, garbages, etc, etc....SO.....if its a Pay2Play and its just a ****ty course....nobody at all would pay to play it. Park courses are fun, but as a serious DGer, I hate the ****ty overcrowded ones....It kills my game mood....now when I DO play I still like to joke around, maybe play tunes, or have a beer, but I'm serious in trying to get a low score and focus......so I like p2p IF they actually show effort into the course.

I am going to guess you are talking about Kaposia. I have not played Kaposia, nor will I as long as it is a P2P going to the people who are supposed to be running it. I have seen pictures of what that course looks like, graffiti, trash cans overflowing, trash all over the course, course just not taken care of. I would never pay to play that course unless it actually starts being taken care of by those that are being paid.

yeah I actually commented and was thinking about Kaposia. Seriously last year the conditions were poor, they need to cut trees/tree limbs, put trash cans out and pick them up....Better/New signs....Really, its a good course, but there was no maintenence last year. Bryant is pretty good....BRP is great...Elm Creek is a nice course, but not crazy kept up...its still good...Hyland needs more work, but they added a 9 hole and im sure they will keep it up this year....other than that, i havent payed to play....but I will prefer 3 Rivers courses or BRP 99% of the time, mainly.....its taken more seriously, good T pads, good baskets, less crappy ppl on the course, and I just like the people out there better....more mature DGers I think....I still like some free courses....Plymouth is a fun free course, Valley is OK....needs work....Acorn NEEEEEEEDS work.....its Chucker central.:doh:

I voted to play at better P2P courses, but it really depends on the course. I would pay to play Manor or Circle C, for example, but not for Met Center or Northtown.

I would start playing a lot less. The thing that makes disc golf so special is that you can do it without emptying your wallet. As a college kid, I would not be able to afford to play as much if I had to pay.

yeah I actually commented and was thinking about Kaposia. Seriously last year the conditions were poor, they need to cut trees/tree limbs, put trash cans out and pick them up....Better/New signs....Really, its a good course, but there was no maintenence last year. Bryant is pretty good....BRP is great...Elm Creek is a nice course, but not crazy kept up...its still good...Hyland needs more work, but they added a 9 hole and im sure they will keep it up this year....other than that, i havent payed to play....but I will prefer 3 Rivers courses or BRP 99% of the time, mainly.....its taken more seriously, good T pads, good baskets, less crappy ppl on the course, and I just like the people out there better....more mature DGers I think....I still like some free courses....Plymouth is a fun free course, Valley is OK....needs work....Acorn NEEEEEEEDS work.....its Chucker central.:doh:

Pretty sad to see the money for season passes not put back into Kaposia like BRP and three rivers does. Yet it is always showcased for the big tournaments in MN.

I'm sure the people who use the ball golf courses and swimming pools had their tax dollars pay for those too. Yet those type of facilities generally also charge a use fee.

I know that a lot of disc golf course installations were paid for at least in part by donations by the local club or through sponsorships. Sometimes the entity owning the park takes the bill for maintenance, but when the coffers get thin, maintenance tends to get on the minimal side. You get what you don't pay for.

it all depends but we have some courses in parks that would be maintained with or without golf

I hope these stay free to play. Sometimes it's nice to get things like that in a state that already has ball busting taxes.

Private courses, state parks, or a course in an area that the town or city doesn't maintain are totally cool as p2p

Pretty sad to see the money for season passes not put back into Kaposia like BRP and three rivers does. Yet it is always showcased for the big tournaments in MN.

If I remember it is fairway flyers that has the pro shop out there and collects the fees. I know towards the end of last year, many, many people let whomever it is collecting fees have a piece of their collective minds. I playe Acorn and Lakewood Hills last year, but skipped Kaposia because of everything I heard and saw. I would gladly p2p Lakewood Hills, but I doubt I will ever go back to Acrap again.

Nothing would slow the growth of the sport more than for the majority of the courses to be pay to play. The main reason many play is because it's inexpensive. Adding cost would cut participation by quite a bit.

I think disc golf's future is moving out of public parks, or at leat in sections of the park which are private to disc golfers, like my home course in Sylmar. Paying to play should include things like better amenities, of course, but it should also give some guarantee towards not having to worry about hitting random people who have no idea that DG exists or having kids grab your disc and run off.

I think disc golf's future is moving out of public parks, or at leat in sections of the park which are private to disc golfers, like my home course in Sylmar. Paying to play should include things like better amenities, of course, but it should also give some guarantee towards not having to worry about hitting random people who have no idea that DG exists or having kids grab your disc and run off.

I hope the future is a solid mix of both. I like to see your typical in the park 9 hole beginner friendly courses to stay free. This will help draw in new players particularly the younger crowd who don't necessarily have the $ to P2P regularly. Then top end courses for the hardcore which are P2P which are DG exclusive with better maintained and designed courses for intermediate + players.

it all depends but we have some courses in parks that would be maintained with or without golf
Its not just mowing the grass and pruning the trees that I'm talking about. Maintenance can include replacement, repairs, or other improvements of the disc golf infrastructure, or cleaning up stuff that disc golfers leave behind.

I hope these stay free to play. Sometimes it's nice to get things like that in a state that already has ball busting taxes.
Most of them probably will remain free due to the fact that they are in multi-use parks.