• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Board of Director Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, they are either XY male or XX female at birth except" for extremely debilitating exceptions. This is the simple truth you don't want to accept. Being female is the ONLY criteria to play in FPO. These 'shades of grey' in phenotype expression are genetic disorders and do not apply to trans persons.
According to whom?
A.) they are many combinations of karyotype at birth (and throughout life).
The only thing you can say is that the majority is most likely going to be either XX or XY.

Either way, their assigned sex ("assumed" being the better word than "assigned") is not based on their karyotype, genotype, gametes, cells' receptivity to proteins containing "gendered" information, whether or not they have a uterus, but solely part of their phenotype (the set of observable characteristics or traits of an organism) namely the absence or presence of a meaty appendage between the baby's legs (assuming the baby has two legs).

As I said about "anomaly", "abnormality", and "defect", that also applies to "disorder" and "debilitating"; all of these words have an intrinsic negative bias built-in, which is what biologists tend to not do.

And on your statement that these variations do not apply to trans people, what you are saying is that having one of these variations (combined under the acronym DSD) is mutually exclusive to being transgender. That is most certainly not the case.
Already from the mere fact that most people who actually have any variation in their being "gendered", other than being explicitly male or explicitly female, remain fully undiagnosed, refutes your statement.
Only the people born with two distinct - or ambiguous - sets of external sexual characteristics (in the past these were called hermaphrodites) will instantly be diagnosable. Anyone else with any DSD variation is very likely to remain undiagnosed until during or afte rpuberty, if at all.

I don't think the voting system needs changing nor that it's burdensome. Changes without compelling reason could likely add bias. PDGA posted all candidate statements & video interviews. Doubt the PDGA would resurrect a forum & the resultant need to moderate. Sure, with 13 candidates we have to dig for specific info. Same scenario with the 1,212 registered USA presidential candidates in 2020. DGCR & Reddit seem like logical places to campaign but it seems few did. One thing that would help me is contact info for each but I imagine that would turn into s-shows.

My takeaway from this thread is 2 camps with transgender players as the single most important defining issue. There were 18,265 voters last year. There are only a couple dozen people active on this thread & some (many?) are not eligible voters so I doubt this small community is a representative sample. Truly a unique election for the PDGA.

I am not a single issue voter. I don't plan to vote for someone approaching this issue from a position of hate for LGBTQ+ community and am appalled in general at the lack of sensitivity some people have for their fellow human beings.

We can and should acknowledge that this is hard and that some people will be hurt by the outcome here and be compassionate about that.

We can also advocate for the protected group. I do believe in a protected division in competitive sport, the burden of proof should not be on the protected.

Competitive sport only has so many spots. One taken by a trans women is one less for another woman. There are only so many spots on a podium, or lanes in a pool, or players on a roster, or scholarships…. Someone is losing that spot. That is a potential issue outside of any advantages that exist.

Studies I have read indicate that there are advantages retained by trans women that testosterone suppression does not remove. There is more to be done here but again IMO the burden to overcome is not on the protected class.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7846503/

Muscle mass, skeletal, heart and lung capacity. Other things, like red blood cell count advantages do seem to be mitigated by test suppression.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30518663/

I do believe that we have women's divisions so we can celebrate people like Serena Williams equally and in the same light as Federer. So that we can have conversations and speculation about Serena being the overall GOAT despite the fact that she would not be competitive against the best males of her era.

According to whom?
A.) they are many combinations of karyotype at birth (and throughout life).
The only thing you can say is that the majority is most likely going to be either XX or XY.

Either way, their assigned sex ("assumed" being the better word than "assigned") is not based on their karyotype, genotype, gametes, cells' receptivity to proteins containing "gendered" information, whether or not they have a uterus, but solely part of their phenotype (the set of observable characteristics or traits of an organism) namely the absence or presence of a meaty appendage between the baby's legs (assuming the baby has two legs).

As I said about "anomaly", "abnormality", and "defect", that also applies to "disorder" and "debilitating"; all of these words have an intrinsic negative bias built-in, which is what biologists tend to not do.

And on your statement that these variations do not apply to trans people, what you are saying is that having one of these variations (combined under the acronym DSD) is mutually exclusive to being transgender. That is most certainly not the case.
Already from the mere fact that most people who actually have any variation in their being "gendered", other than being explicitly male or explicitly female, remain fully undiagnosed, refutes your statement.
Only the people born with two distinct - or ambiguous - sets of external sexual characteristics (in the past these were called hermaphrodites) will instantly be diagnosable. Anyone else with any DSD variation is very likely to remain undiagnosed until during or afte rpuberty, if at all.

My sister has a variation called trisomy-21. She gets to play basketball and softball in a completely separate division from us called the special Olympics.

Variations = their own division. It really is that simple.

I don't think the voting system needs changing nor that it's burdensome. Changes without compelling reason could likely add bias. PDGA posted all candidate statements & video interviews. Doubt the PDGA would resurrect a forum & the resultant need to moderate. Sure, with 13 candidates we have to dig for specific info. Same scenario with the 1,212 registered USA presidential candidates in 2020. DGCR & Reddit seem like logical places to campaign but it seems few did. One thing that would help me is contact info for each but I imagine that would turn into s-shows.

My takeaway from this thread is 2 camps with transgender players as the single most important defining issue. There were 18,265 voters last year. There are only a couple dozen people active on this thread & some (many?) are not eligible voters so I doubt this small community is a representative sample. Truly a unique election for the PDGA.

The thing is though, I'm going to guess people who are in forums like this might take the additional time to look through the information comparative to others who don't engage in discussions. Historically, voting has been low and I'm guessing most don't really want to spend hours watching all the videos, interviews, look up social media discussions, and read the narratives. Just a guess with no statistics to back that up.

On your other note, my observations of other candidates are the following:

There were 2-3 threads on Reddit which I was involved in. There were a few other candidates that popped in, but I was the primary usually. I believe I saw Conrad in there and someone else who posted a picture of them in space saying vote for them becuase they are intergalactic.

Laura has her website, FB, and IG. She also has posted in here and in some FB discussions. I believe I saw Conrad pop into one of these as well as people were declaring a general assessment on "all candidates" which wasn't accurate. For the record, I believe keeping Laura on the board is beneficial due to her view points and global experiences. With Elaine not returning, if Laura is not back on, that leaves one lady on the board and I think we need more representation then that.

The two southern national folks have had their supporters post all over Facebook (in any local FB group they could find), the PDGA social media posts, Twitter, etc... I remember seeing a random tweet the other day about how their local group has finally been invaded lol. There has been a lot of discussion about this topic all over Facebook. Anywhere I go I see it. I think they have alot more supporters than people might think, but also have the most who directly oppose I would guess.

I have seen Conrad post a little, but he keeps it brief (atleast what I have seen). Seems like a cool guy.

Besides that, I don't think I have really seen too much posted by others, but I'm certainly not in every group or see everything going on.

I saw the 2021 pdga thread on this forum and it was 11 pages mostly discussing Mr. Schreff. We are at 45 and still have just under 2 weeks to go. Certainly an eventful election and I wouldn't be surprised if there was more fun within the next week or 2. Exciting times.

Last edited:
Just saw PDGA post:

As of today:

108k eligible voters
13.3k returned
12.3% have voted

In 2021 18.2k ballots were returned

My sister has a variation called trisomy-21. She gets to play basketball and softball in a completely separate division from us called the special Olympics.

Variations = their own division. It really is that simple.
And how strict are the guidelines for participation in Special Olympics?

And how strict are the guidelines for participation in Special Olympics?

Outside of Johnny Knoxville I highly doubt anyone is trying to game the regs to win a special Olympics medal. I would also say a special Olympics medal is more prestigious than a disc golf world championship. All this to say that transgender athletes in disc golf is a non issue.

I saw the 2021 pdga thread on this forum and it was 11 pages mostly discussing Mr. Schreff. We are at 45 and still have just under 2 weeks to go. Certainly an eventful election and I wouldn't be surprised if there was more fun within the next week or 2. Exciting times.
I very gladly voted for David Schreff, and am still very much convinced of that having been a very valuable vote for the PDGA.

I'm very concerned that the two transphobic candidates may win because there aren't two organized candidates against them.

There's lots of people advocating for candidates who have a more positive message; I have seen three names predominantly being advocated for. Will any of these three earn more votes? I can't tell.
I - obviously - hope I get re-elected, but whether I actually will be, depends on people voting.

As for you being concerned, I can only ask you to cast your vote wisely, and if you do have a bunch of PDGA members in disc golf network, to advocate for candidates you feel strongly about.

There's lots of people advocating for candidates who have a more positive message; I have seen three names predominantly being advocated for. Will any of these three earn more votes? I can't tell.
I - obviously - hope I get re-elected, but whether I actually will be, depends on people voting.

As for you being concerned, I can only ask you to cast your vote wisely, and if you do have a bunch of PDGA members in disc golf network, to advocate for candidates you feel strongly about.

I voted for you and Phil mills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts