• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Events w/o online registration

My local club has gone away from flyers and allowing pre-registering for tournaments unless you are close with the guys now running the club which is unfortunate because we have had 2 sanctioned tournaments this year with very low attendance. I generally do not play tournaments if I cannot pre-register and if I cannot attend, I normally let the TD add my entry fee to added cash unless they insist on refunding. I would be interested to see if pre-registration could be encouraged if players packs were only given to players who pre-register and play the event rather than day off registrants. I also wish TDs would allow all pre registered players to sign in day of prior to allowing non registered players to register and sign in.

The Spring Fling in San Diego didnt have online reg just so more locals could get in.
This is precisely the event I was talking about. The TD is, of course, entitled to do whatever he wants. But having an event in San Diego count in a regional points series that some players care very much about, that draws players from as far away as Kern County while having a bias for local players, might be a little bit unfair.

did a search found this thread with "online registration" this threads is pretty old

What are the options for a TD looking to do online registration, any reviews available. DGU, Disc golf scene other?

thanks !

DGU has worked superbly for me. Uploading to PDGA is easy, formats are flexible, cost is small. I like it all.

I concur with Bill. DGU is a HUGE asset to TD's. I have used it for 4 years and will never consider any other way

The OP specified PDGA Online Reg... so keep in mind as well: not every site uses the PDGA for their paid regs. I know of multiple TDs that use DiscGolfScene.com

The OP specified PDGA Online Reg... so keep in mind as well: not every site uses the PDGA for their paid regs. I know of multiple TDs that use DiscGolfScene.com

The online reg you sign up for if you opt for it when sanctioning a PDGA event IS DiscGolfScene.com.

we've used disc golf scene the last two years and it keeps getting easier and easier to use. this year i don't even need up upload registrations from the site to the PDGA website, it does it automatically.

Another vote for DGU. I have been using DGU for my event registrations since 2009! It gets better and easier to use each year.

I dont care for how DGU makes you click each division to look at the names and on discgolfscene.com its all on one page.

We launched a website to handle the registration of our events as well as any others who care to do their registration through us. Link is in my sig! Check it out! Very user friendly.

Pre-reg only becomes a necessity when events fill with regularity. If you're only getting 35-40 players at an event, no matter how much you encourage pre-reg, players won't do it. Why should they commit when they know they'll get in just by showing up on tournament day?

But if the event fills to capacity and players get turned away, you better believe pre-reg (online or otherwise) becomes extremely popular amongst the players. I've found all it takes is one time for players to miss out due to not getting signed up fast enough for pre-reg to become one of those "fills two days before the event" tournaments, then eventually one of those "fills in an hour two months before the event" tournaments.

Like with anything, it's all about demand.

This is true. Our primer event sold out in 6hrs. I gave all the local slackers who usually wait til the last minute the option to show up at my house as soon as we opened online registration if they wanted to pay cash. Most didn't do it and are buried on the waitlist. Hopefully they learn and don't make the mistake again.

One thing that my girlfriend and I do when we run tourneys is we bought a mobile hot spot to accept cards day of. It doesn't add that much more time at registration and we get about 10-12 casuals who jump in because they can pay with a card.

I'm not turning down money!

One thing that my girlfriend and I do when we run tourneys is we bought a mobile hot spot to accept cards day of. It doesn't add that much more time at registration and we get about 10-12 casuals who jump in because they can pay with a card.

I'm not turning down money!

Mobile hot spot? You mean like Square or whatever that attaches to your phone for cards?

Running the two sites side by side for fees (both sites can be set up so the fees are paid by the player and not taken out of registration).

Cost DGU DGScene
15.00 1.95 2.08
20.00 2.10 2.22
25.00 2.25 2.37
30.00 2.40 2.51
35.00 2.55 2.66
40.00 2.70 2.80
45.00 2.85 2.95
50.00 3.00 3.09
55.00 3.15 3.24
60.00 3.30 3.38
65.00 3.45 3.53
70.00 3.60 3.67
75.00 3.75 3.82
100.00 4.50 4.54

Running the two sites side by side for fees (both sites can be set up so the fees are paid by the player and not taken out of registration).

Cost DGU DGScene
15.00 1.95 2.08
20.00 2.10 2.22
25.00 2.25 2.37
30.00 2.40 2.51
35.00 2.55 2.66
40.00 2.70 2.80
45.00 2.85 2.95
50.00 3.00 3.09
55.00 3.15 3.24
60.00 3.30 3.38
65.00 3.45 3.53
70.00 3.60 3.67
75.00 3.75 3.82
100.00 4.50 4.54

Personally, I find the slightly higher fees for DGS worth it to be able to take payments to my personal Paypal account rather than have to wait for DGU to cut me a check (or multiple checks). That allows me to accept online registrations pretty much right up until the tournament starts and know that the money is in my account.

That's not to mention the integration with the PDGA tournament manager that allows DGS to automatically update the PDGA pre-reg list with each new registration. The time saved for the TD with that integration probably is worth the few extra pennies.

Personally, I find the slightly higher fees for DGS worth it to be able to take payments to my personal Paypal account rather than have to wait for DGU to cut me a check (or multiple checks). That allows me to accept online registrations pretty much right up until the tournament starts and know that the money is in my account.

That's not to mention the integration with the PDGA tournament manager that allows DGS to automatically update the PDGA pre-reg list with each new registration. The time saved for the TD with that integration probably is worth the few extra pennies.

I was looking at this more since my last post and DGS integration looks very helpful

Latest posts