• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA NT: 2019 Delaware Disc Golf Challenge 23-Aug to 25-Aug-2019

Interesting that for two straight weeks we had the leader 4 shots ahead with 3 to play...and the second place player birdied out...

At Worlds, McBeth made the 3 pars needed to clinch the win (despite missing a few birdie opportunities, which really doesn't matter when you are up by 4)...Ricky made two bogies and a par which allowed Bell to pass him...

Both times Ricky finished a shot back...

Last edited:
Went to bed after Ricky´s F9. . woke up, and wow. . . .Ricky lost ?!?:confused:

Looking at UDisc i have a hard time beliving what i´m seeing. . .Ricky goes -8 on the F9 and +3 on the back :confused:

And he lost 4 in the last 3 holes. . thats just. . YOU CAN NOT DO THAT. . .and he still made a C2 putt for bogey on 17. . .17 must have been a disaster

Have Ricky EVER lost 4 strokes at the end of the last round when he was in the lead?

And Eagle?? what ? He just came in at T9 ? What a odd tournament

Looks like this course don´t really have fairways. . .

The fairways at Iron Hill are actually pretty big, it just doesn't come across on video. (I was talking about someone with this and we tend to believe it is due to lack of contrast.) There is not a single truly tight hole out there. The shots are all readily executable but there are a ton of them and no forgiveness for failure to execute.

The fairways at Iron Hill are actually pretty big, it just doesn't come across on video. (I was talking about someone with this and we tend to believe it is due to lack of contrast.) There is not a single truly tight hole out there. The shots are all readily executable but there are a ton of them and no forgiveness for failure to execute.

I played this tournament and agree with you. The fairways are all pretty reasonable—you can just get into big trouble if you don't execute.

Looking at UDisc i have a hard time beliving what i´m seeing. . .Ricky goes -8 on the F9 and +3 on the back :confused:

And he lost 4 in the last 3 holes. . thats just. . YOU CAN NOT DO THAT. . .and he still made a C2 putt for bogey on 17. . .17 must have been a disaster

Have Ricky EVER lost 4 strokes at the end of the last round when he was in the lead?

And Eagle?? what ? He just came in at T9 ? What a odd tournament

17 was indeed a disaster for Rick. First available tree and kick hard left on a tightly wooded, long par 5. The fact he still bogeyed is actually fairly impressive. It took an insane putt to do it.

Yeah Eagles triple on the last hole cost him several spots and also likely quite a wad of moolah.

His performance on 18 was surprising to me. He seemed to throw his 2nd and 3rd shots in frustration. It was a little hard to watch, because we've all been there—tree in your face, feeling "over it," so just throw it hard without thinking, and hope...

2019 Delaware Disc Golf Challenge - National Tour Performance Tracks

Caution: Looking at this may induce symptoms similar to over-caffeination.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DDGC19MPOT.png
    DDGC19MPOT.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 223
  • DDGC19FPOT.png
    DDGC19FPOT.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 211
Went to bed after Ricky´s F9. . woke up, and wow. . . .Ricky lost ?!?:confused:

I fell a sleep on hole 16, and didn't bother to watch the end of the stream as I thought Ricky win and I just wanted to see how Väinö finished. Looking at UDisc I thought I was still dreaming, Ricky lost and Väinö and Eagle ties for 9th...

Looks like this course don´t really have fairways. . .

I hate "heavily wooded" courses but the Iron Hill fairways are very fair. There truly isn't a very tight gap to hit from each tee pad. I say this despite that I can't throw 300' anymore, it's a very good design, thx Jimi :thmbup:

You can eyeball fairways all you want but the true test of fair fairways is actual data that shows players of the skill level intended can execute them at least say 2/3 of the time. If that skill level can only execute them 50% or less, the fairway may be no better than a coin flip. This isn't a comment specifically about Iron Hill which I've played, but simply that until the fairways on wooded holes are tested in tournament play by the intended skill level, you don't have confirmation of subjective assessments.

Though not quite the same situation you asked about, '14 World's is the one that comes to my mind. He had something like a 6 stroke lead standing on 16tee in the semi final. Then proceeded to lose 4 strokes on the last three holes and then another on the first hole of the final9. Wound up losing in a playoff.

You can eyeball fairways all you want but the true test of fair fairways is actual data that shows players of the skill level intended can execute them at least say 2/3 of the time. If that skill level can only execute them 50% or less, the fairway may be no better than a coin flip. This isn't a comment specifically about Iron Hill which I've played, but simply that until the fairways on wooded holes are tested in tournament play by the intended skill level, you don't have confirmation of subjective assessments.

How does par figure into the analysis of executing? Having watched multiple cards at the DDGC and having talked to someone who finished down in the field, what became clear isn't just the importance of staying in the fairway but also getting to or beyond the designed landing zone. Sure, there's lots of diff ways to play holes but the fact remains that the top finishers were often making their second shots easier by throwing long and straight.

I'm confident I could stay in the fairways, and shoot at least +18.

I feel like you're throwing up an alley-oop to Steve West with this one. But I can't resist asking... what did the data show about Iron Hill in this tournament? I looked through last year's DDGC thread and didn't see anything there either. How "fair" are those Iron Hill fairways in 2018 and 2019 NT events?