• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

After another drop on my downward spiral of ratings despair I posted up the idea in Reddit of what your rating would like if you just took the average of your top ten rounds ever. This immediately made my fragile ego feel better and from now on I will be calling myself a 978 rated player instead of facing the harsh reality :)

It seems to have struck a chord with people and has made me wonder whether something like that could be added as another stat on the PDGA page?

I keep track of all my rated rounds in a separate spreadsheet so I don't have to go hunt through pdga.com for older rounds. My top 10 pretend rating would be 1014 :rolleyes:

edit - had no idea PDGA added the full history to their player profiles now. Well, I'll keep my spreadsheet cause it has more data in it that they don't have.

Yep, had another bad round fall off and added a couple of OK ones, so I went up another 2 points to a personal high 929. My standard deviation is pretty tight - that's the 'benefit' of playing fewer sanctioned tourneys. :)

...now, the question becomes, "have I peaked, or is there room to grow before I'm over the hill?"

Yep, had another bad round fall off and added a couple of OK ones, so I went up another 2 points to a personal high 929. My standard deviation is pretty tight - that's the 'benefit' of playing fewer sanctioned tourneys. :)

...now, the question becomes, "have I peaked, or is there room to grow before I'm over the hill?"
:confused:

:p;):D

I somehow stayed at current rating, even though I had two rounds 35 points under my rating that were counted. So I suspect I dropped some poor rounds on the other side.

Mr. Kroger: 500 PR, Congratulations Kroger, you're at the top of the Rec division
Mr. Dorfman: 350 PR, Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to play disc golf son.
Mr. Hoover: 650 PR, a fine example you set!
Daniel Simpson Day: has no player rating, all rounds incomplete
Mr. Blutarsky: Zero point Zero

Maybe this question would be better as its own thread so as not get buried, but have any of you seen major changes to your ratings over the course of an entire year? I'm thinking something like a swing of +/- 100 points or so. As mentioned in a seperate thread, I played my first rated round ever this week and was pretty disappointed with how I played and, as a result, the rating I received. Kinda feel like now I have a mountain to climb to get to the number I had in mind.

Not 100 points, but I have some 50+ point swings. I was 905 in 2007 and then didn't play a sanctioned tournament until 2015. Played really bad in the first tourney and got an 861 rating. It climbed back up to 907 after a year of playing again, with a bunch of rounds mostly in the low 900's during 2015-2016.

Then I had another 2-year gap, and just played my first sanctioned tourney since 2016. At the next update I'll be something like 965 because I played well for once.

Maybe this question would be better as its own thread so as not get buried, but have any of you seen major changes to your ratings over the course of an entire year? I'm thinking something like a swing of +/- 100 points or so. As mentioned in a seperate thread, I played my first rated round ever this week and was pretty disappointed with how I played and, as a result, the rating I received. Kinda feel like now I have a mountain to climb to get to the number I had in mind.

Big swings are possible under specific conditions, namely having very few rounds included in one's average and/or starting from a very low rating in the first place (easier to raise a 750 rating by 100 points than a 950 rating). As you've only got one round in so far, the impact of your next round(s) on your average will be significant. If you put in new rounds that are significantly higher than that first rated round, your average will go up dramatically. If you maintain that level, it will only go up more as the first rounds age out.

I've never had dramatic swings in my rating as since I've always had 20+ rounds included in my average. The more rounds you've played, the harder it is to make a huge improvement (or take a huge drop) because the impact of a single round on the average is so much smaller. I think the best I've done in a year's time is maybe 15-20 points one way or the other.

I keep track of all my rated rounds in a separate spreadsheet so I don't have to go hunt through pdga.com for older rounds. My top 10 pretend rating would be 1014 :rolleyes:

edit - had no idea PDGA added the full history to their player profiles now. Well, I'll keep my spreadsheet cause it has more data in it that they don't have.

Under this method I'm 1005 based on what the PDGA has. If they made it back another year to include 1997 I would almost certainly break 1010.

In real life it's 931 and has been within 10 points of that one way or another for eons...:\

Had my best round roll off. Brought me down 2 points. Gotta put in some work before the Wintertime Open if I want to keep right smack dab in the middle of MA1.

Pretty cool new feature on our PDGA pages. Under Ratings Detail, it now shows every rated round you have ever played.:thmbup:

Great feature! I copied and pasted into excel and did some data crunching and found some amazing things:

Since ratings started:

Climo has 1001 rated rounds - 919 of them are over 1000.

Barry Schultz has 1540 rounds with 1347 at 1000 or higher.

And some detailed numbers:

Michael Johansen:
Highest Round: 1113.
Rounds at 1080 or higher: 7
Rounds at 1050 or higher: 149
Rounds at 1000 or higher: 895
Total Rounds rated: 1216
Lifetime Average: 1015.32

Sexton:
Career rated rounds: 897.
Highest: 1087
1070 or higher: 20