• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

I am not calculating but at a glance I think I might dip below 950 for the first time since 2008. Played one round of sanctioned league injured in March, an 888 rated, tried playing one more time the next week on lunch and shut it down. Haven't done anything beyond a 20 meter putt since. Only 8 rounds on my profile - so its gonna drop a 959 off the back end (over a year old), and I believe it'll replace a 924 as one of the double-weighted rounds.

Might be outside the 2.5 standard deviations tolerance.

I mean, its happened before where someone reclassified as an Am without petitioning. Though pre-2010 is probably wild wild west compared to how the org is run now, right?

the bottom of the page says effective 1/1/2018 so I wonder what the policy was beforehand... I can't find anything about that

the bottom of the page says effective 1/1/2018 so I wonder what the policy was beforehand... I can't find anything about that
The qualifications were less well defined and it was more "case by case" or at least that was my perception at the time.
It was definitely less defined. And at times applied only to cover up mistakes.

In 2008 they accidentally sent invites to AmNats out to Open players who finished high at BG Ams. When those guys registered for AmNats they just let them play and reclassified them, and (per those players' words) no petition needed.

And thats the story of the two guys who beat me at AmNats in 2008. ;)

Last edited:
It was definitely less defined. And at times applied only to cover up mistakes.

In 2008 they accidentally sent invites to AmNats out to Open players who finished high at BG Ams. When those guys registered for AmNats they just let them play and reclassified them, and (per those players' words) no petition needed.

And thats the story of the two guys who beat me at AmNats in 2008. ;)

Neither of those guys appear to have played BG Ams that year, maybe some other event? I don't doubt you at all on the reclassification part. Roberts was a cashing pro in 2006, Stahlin isn't current so can't see his history due to the PDGA's inane policy.

Neither of those guys appear to have played BG Ams that year, maybe some other event? I don't doubt you at all on the reclassification part. Roberts was a cashing pro in 2006, Stahlin isn't current so can't see his history due to the PDGA's inane policy.
Actually, funny enough, Stahlin DID play BG Ams - but did NOT get his invite via BG Ams because he DNF'd BG Ams (I forgot all about that, I think there was an issue with a pot arrest and he wasn't able to play the last two rounds). I'll have to try to remember what event they DID get their invite via.....

Mark may have been the Disc n Dat Bluegrass Open. And considering they were giving out bids at B Tiers back then (dunno if they still are) Daemon may have been at Thrills at the Mills or Loco at the Mills.

What I do know is that both of them told me they got invites from the PDGA for AmNats that year, and neither of them petitioned for amateur status.

Just missed the edit window....

Based on this URL:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080524213850/http://www.midgp.com/qualified_players.html

Mark got in via the Disc n Dat Bluegrass Open
Daemon somehow was allowed in as a rating qualifier. I'm guessing because he played ADV in a number of events and was one of the higher rated players in MI at the time?

They ought to let everybody whose membership is current to see everybody's stats. I'd think that would increase membership funds, even if by just a little, right?

They ought to let everyone see everybody's stats and stop holding the history of the game hostage.

No kidding.

I can (barely) see the historical rationale, where they claimed they were trying to "encourage" current membership by using stats as a members-only perk. But, those days are long gone and any historical legitimacy for that strategy is dead.

There's been times when Ken Climo's info was hidden. Currently Nate Doss's information is hidden. A 3 time world champion and current DGPT commentator and you can't see his historical stats.

Cam Todd. John Ahart. Brad Hammock. Alan Schack. Phil Arthur. I could go on, but I won't. :p

No kidding.

I can (barely) see the historical rationale, where they claimed they were trying to "encourage" current membership by using stats as a members-only perk. But, those days are long gone and any historical legitimacy for that strategy is dead.

There's been times when Ken Climo's info was hidden. Currently Nate Doss's information is hidden. A 3 time world champion and current DGPT commentator and you can't see his historical stats.

Cam Todd. John Ahart. Brad Hammock. Alan Schack. Phil Arthur. I could go on, but I won't. :p

I can help with a little bit of Al Schack's. He beat the snot out of me every single time I played in the same tourney. My best-ever rated round was on a 24 hole course in 2005, and he got me by 11 from the same tees.

I'm just starting to learn (after taking off nearly a decade and a half from "serious" play) that the PDGA does at least something else in an antiquated fashion, that used to make sense in a different era. Figured that out when I signed up my son for MJ-15 worlds and two minutes after the opening nanosecond to register there were 25 kids on the waiting list including the sport's biggest 15 and under superstars. I was like, damn, how is this even right? For crying out loud, let the higher rated kids sign up first!

We'll I'm moving in the wrong direction, went down 4 points. I'm now at 975.

My son 46920, went up ten to 908.

He's closing the gap on me. I might have 2 years before he eclipses me.

Mine shouldn't have changed as I'm pretty sure I didn't play any sanctioned events since the last update.

I'll be playing a big A tier this weekend so hopefully I'll manage to bring my rating up a little if I play well.