• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

Shot a bad round right before the deadline, which caused that round and my one other terrible round this year to not be standard deviation drop-off rounds. If I just hadn't played that last round, I'd be up 5 points. Instead I'm down 6 points.

Question:
The last tourney I played has round ratings all over the place for the same scores in the same divisions and some divisions look ok, also it was 3 courses over two days. It looks like the ratings for players that started on the course that is round 2 for the open card (I think ratings look right for them) have their ratings flip flopped. One course was easier and those scores look like they are rated for the harder course for some decisions. Kinda seems like two problems but any insight on what would make the ratings all over the place for the same score same course same division?

I moved down 5 points to 943. Had 2 mediocre tournaments averaging right about 940 over the 4 rounds. This is probably right about my baseline for most of my career.

I think I've been able to pull up the floor in terms of 'bad rounds'. I think that's at least a good sign in terms of long term ability to move my rating upward.

If the course layout to division mappings are off, ratings can get out of whack.

I'm not a TD and don't know what goes into posting the scores on PDGA.
Here is the tourny:
https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/40685

AM1 and Open divisions played their first round at course A and all other divisions course B. Then swapped in the afternoon for the second round. No changes to the course (pin placement or Tees)
This is the way it has been for years annually but this year the TD made a big effort to get the round 1 scores posted early so people could check on their phones and have an idea where they stood since the tournament central was at course B.
In years past i've wondered if RD1 posted on the PDGA was each individual's round 1 or if for those that started on course B it was actually their round 2 as it is on the score card (all three courses on one card and have to be careful to enter score on the middle line if you are starting on course B.

So... round 3 I think looks ok for everyone, whole tourney last day Tee-times.

Round 1 and 2 for the AM1 and Pros I think all look ok, but for the rest of the AM divisions it looks all over the place. I know my score and my division for RD1 was my first round which was on the B course. Does that explain the ratings for the AMs being kinda random? Even par 54 is coming out from 905 to 974. 4 under coming out as over 1000 rated?

Would this just need to be re-submitted by the TD for the correct course for R1 and R2 for the AM divisions?

I moved down 5 points to 943. Had 2 mediocre tournaments averaging right about 940 over the 4 rounds. This is probably right about my baseline for most of my career.

Follow up because I was interested: I have 17 other rating updates within 10 points of my current rating, out of 34 total updates (7 above 10 points, 9 below 10 points). So I'd say career average is about right in this ballpark. In other words, I've never really gotten a lot better at golf.

Sobering dose of reality :\

Last edited:
Same here. I'm not current but iirc correctly I've got 4 years worth of updates, played 50-70(maybe more) sanctioned events...

My lowest rating is 867ish and my high is in the 880s:|

Something is jacked up with the ratings. On my player page, it says that my rounds for the Solstice-A-Thon were 979, 973, 902, 934, but then you go to the official results and it has ratings of 977, 970, 897, 932.

Also, every single one of my league rounds have dropped from "2018 Deer Lakes PDGA League - Part 2" which ran from June 18th to August 20th of 2018 as well as all league rounds from "PFD Sunday Devotional II" running from May 27th to August 19th, 2018. The later rounds of these leagues should not be dropping as I obviously haven't played any tournament in August of this year.

Something is jacked up with the ratings. On my player page, it says that my rounds for the Solstice-A-Thon were 979, 973, 902, 934, but then you go to the official results and it has ratings of 977, 970, 897, 932.

Also, every single one of my league rounds have dropped from "2018 Deer Lakes PDGA League - Part 2" which ran from June 18th to August 20th of 2018 as well as all league rounds from "PFD Sunday Devotional II" running from May 27th to August 19th, 2018. The later rounds of these leagues should not be dropping as I obviously haven't played any tournament in August of this year.
Are you logged in to PDGA or perhaps you need to clear your browser cache? The round ratings in your detail and in the Solstice-a-Thon match. On the other hand, we're looking into the league round date issue to see if the rounds were actually dropped or just a website display issue.

Are you logged in to PDGA or perhaps you need to clear your browser cache? The round ratings in your detail and in the Solstice-a-Thon match. On the other hand, we're looking into the league round date issue to see if the rounds were actually dropped or just a website display issue.

Weird. On my phone, work computer, and home computer, the rounds do not match.

I don't mind if the league rounds drop because I sucked during those leagues. :hfive:

I met a guy on the course last weekend who told me that ratings are all marketing hype and that the only reason pros are rated so high is because they play on only easy courses while on tour. My eyebrows shot up so fast they nearly knocked my hat off my head.

I've got a query on how the top rating on any given round is allocated.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/42133

The above league round was played on a course where the typical level par is about 940 rated.

But because the highest rated guys were just about 900, the top rating was 925ish despite the top two playing well and above their normal standard.

So the question is, if the top guys in the field were rated 860, would we have seen the same scores rated at 860ish despite the difficulty of the course?

I've got a query on how the top rating on any given round is allocated.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/42133

The above league round was played on a course where the typical level par is about 940 rated.

But because the highest rated guys were just about 900, the top rating was 925ish despite the top two playing well and above their normal standard.

So the question is, if the top guys in the field were rated 860, would we have seen the same scores rated at 860ish despite the difficulty of the course?
Yes. However, the flaw in this logic is thinking that even a league round with just 5 propagators who average any rating are likely to shoot the same total score on the same course in the same round. The odds that all 5 propagators will shoot one or more throws better than their rating in the same round is about 1 in 150.

Last edited:
+1 - 945.

All year I have played right to my rating, so not much movement.

I finally played a tournament with 2 good rounds last weekend (966, 986). Going to keep that rolling at HBHO.

Up 30 points to 808! Super psyched. I was expecting 805 after 8 rounds being counted but PDGA ended up taking out my lowest rated round instead leaving me with 7 rounds counted. My last tourney of the year (Vacationland Open) will count double towards my rating. Gonna have to crush it...

Up 16 points to 971. Highest rating yet. I think I can keep moving up as long as I don't quit anymore tournaments. I've taken a lot of 999's in my time.