• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

Its common around here to make one hole slightly different(either splitting long/short tee or long/short basket) for divisions intentionally so that the MPO scores/ratings wont be affected by the int/rec/novice scores. Of course they say its really for "flow" and to try to keep a backup from forming but its rather obvious sometimes that its really for the ratings.

The irony being that not doing would probably have a negligible effect on the ratings, and doing it probably does have a significant effect on flow.

Its common around here to make one hole slightly different(either splitting long/short tee or long/short basket) for divisions intentionally so that the MPO scores/ratings wont be affected by the int/rec/novice scores. Of course they say its really for "flow" and to try to keep a backup from forming but its rather obvious sometimes that its really for the ratings.
This caters to the myth that playing with higher rated players produces higher ratings. Playing tougher courses that includes much lower rated propagators is more likely to produce higher ratings. I laugh when I see TDs change just one hole shorter and then complain that the SSA comes out higher on the shorter course than the longer course, defeating their misguided strategy. Usually better to have at least 4 shorter tees/holes versus 1 or 2 so the course is clearly easier.

+8 to 953, first time back over 950 since JUL2017. It's been a long road back but think I can push the ceiling higher.

Also, McBeth probably hits 1060 before December

McBeth averaged below 1060 in the Canadian this past weekend so he'll need to make up for that at GMC this weekend before the October update. Haven't heard if USDGC will be rated or not this year.

They will be TERMPORARILY different because the different scores shot by the individuals... but I've never seen the the same score with different ratings AFTER the final update.

Here just a fun example I remember of scores from the same round having 2 different rating sets. At the first round of the 2018 LVC the weather changed drastically during the day. Look at the players that scored a 53, half were rated 1017 and the others 1051.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/33918

So it is possible for players from the same round to get different ratings for the same scores!

I've had that conversation with players before. A player will say, "The MA3s here really drag down our ratings. You know, our paychecks rely on player ratings. You should give them a different layout so we don't get punished because of them." I nod along and say things like "Hmm, I understand where you're coming from" but then never do anything about it.
Afterward, you should go to the results page and do a quick hand calculation to see who's right.
MPO field: Calculate their average player rating, and calculate their average round rating
MA3 field: Calculate their average player rating, and calculate their average round rating

Last time I had that conversation and ran those calculations, I found that the MPO field shot 5 points above their rating on average, and the MA3 field shot 3 points below their rating. In other words, if I had put the MA3s on a different layout, then the MPO ratings would have fallen.

McBeth averaged below 1060 in the Canadian this past weekend so he'll need to make up for that at GMC this weekend before the October update. Haven't heard if USDGC will be rated or not this year.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the Canadian was already included in this update according to his ratings detail page, so why would he have to make up for that?

Mind blown. I always assumed ratings would be round by round, but can't find a single example in MY tournament history where the same score has been rated differently on the same course. Regardless of conditions or day of round.

Yet another example. Played same course for two rounds Sunday, same weather conditions. First round -3 51 was 884, second round 50 was 850. I'm through trying to figure it out.

I know a lot of frolfers don't like golf references, but why can't we have a system based on course rating and slope like golf? How in the heck is a round a shot BETTER 34 points LOWER on the SAME course, SAME day????????????

Maybe I'm missing something, but the Canadian was already included in this update according to his ratings detail page, so why would he have to make up for that?
Sorry, I missed that. It was held after the deadline for this update but it looks like they slipped it in.

Everyone seems to be talking about having their highest rating ever. Including me, for some reason.

Is there a way to see whether there are an unusual number of highest ratings ever?

Did the computer become self-aware and decide to be the opposite of SkyNet?

Dropped 10 points to 798...2 below my year end goal that I had already reached. Terrible 3 day performance by me at an A-Tier so I deserved it. My 3 practice rounds at that same course were 9 strokes better than I played during each of the rounds in the tourney so it was probably nerves but either way it's something I need to nail down.

Next year I'm gunning for 830.

So my rating stayed the same, even though 2 of the rounds that are counting (791 & 801, playing a very FH unfriendly course FH only) are 25 months old. Dropping those rounds would move me up to 850+ which would put me at my highest ever. I need to play more tourneys and get it over 900.

I can throw 400'+ but I'm not 900 rated so Rec tees are too easy, but I get crushed in Int.

If rec tees are too easy, you'd be over 900 :p

One would think. It's mostly a putter only challenge for me at that point and I don't find a ton if joy in that. Last Rec tourney I played in NY I threw a driver twice in 2 rounds, but that was only for the fade, not the distance.

One would think. It's mostly a putter only challenge for me at that point and I don't find a ton if joy in that. Last Rec tourney I played in NY I threw a driver twice in 2 rounds, but that was only for the fade, not the distance.

I'm just messing with you. I have a hard time with courses so short they are putting contests

Couldn't get my discs to hyzerflip and hold straight at 6,600ft (usually play at 600ft), and adjusted too late into the second round. Down 9 points to 958. Getting those points back this October...

Latest posts