• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Peer Pressure

Halcón

Free At Last
The talk of the Archangel being only for new players made me think about something. I wonder if players throw certain discs because it's the cool thing to do, or because there is a certain amount of peer pressure to do so. This peer pressure may not be direct, but perceived by the player.

It's only natural to want to fit in, and there's nothing wrong with it. I just wonder how often it affects what discs go in our bag.

Peer Pressure is not the right word for it.

This happens with just about everything you buy. Marketing, reviews, and testimonials all shape a perception about a product that influences our decisions on what to buy and use.

For me absolutely not. I absolutely love my Diamond even though many would probably look down on this one as a beginner disc. I say if it works it works.

Heck, I even bought a pink Ladyline FD to carry on purpose just so I could rag on my friends that I beat them with a girls disc - it's all jesting and good natured fun - we laugh about it. By the way it's a really solid disc that is grippier than my S-lines and goes just a touch further.

Peer pressure can be a part of it, particularly if a new player joins an existing group and wants to copy what they see in those bags. But marketing, hype, reviews, bad mentoring, foolish purchases, ignorance, weak research, online cliques/groups, etc all play a part. As bradharris said above, this happens with just about everything you buy.

I don't think it is as much as peer pressure or wanting to throw what the 'cool kids' do as it does watching those who throw well throw other discs....and mostly noobs throwing stuff like the AA. Since you rarely see someone throwing well with the AA - you aren't as likely to go out and pick on up.

How many times have you seen someone bomb a disc and get asked what it was (lets say destroyer), and next time you see that guy who asked he now has a new destroyer (or 3) that of course don't bomb for him.

The other issue is the Innova marketing of the AA as a beginner disc. Once you get past that initial "I'll kill for a disc that goes over 150' noob hyzer" stage most people don't want to think of themselves as a beginner and naturally will steer away from the disc for this reason...whether their 800, 900, or 950+ rated. I don't see this as peer pressure or being afraid of what others would think as much as it is thinking to yourself "i'm not a noob anymore - i don't need that disc"

The talk of the Archangel being only for new players made me think about something. I wonder if players throw certain discs because it's the cool thing to do, or because there is a certain amount of peer pressure to do so. This peer pressure may not be direct, but perceived by the player.

It's only natural to want to fit in, and there's nothing wrong with it. I just wonder how often it affects what discs go in our bag.

I definitely think there is some aspect to this. I think it's exaggerated when the player using the disc isn't top caliber.

It would be easy for Paul McBeth to defend throwing an archangel every hole. He's amazing, no one argues with him.

However, if Jonny FourPutt tries to say that his favorite putter ever is the 10m Brick, he will get constantly shamed. People have too strong of a correlation with success and knowledge. Being good at something doesn't mean you know a lot or even have the best strategy. Some coaches couldn't play the very thing they teach others to master.

There's so much that goes into this sort of stuff, I guess that's why marketing is a career for a lot of people.

If people have a group of friends they disc with, then they are going to make buying decisions based on that. If they are active online somewhere like DGCR, they will make buying decisions based on that. Reading manufacturer information vs user reviews vs actually trying a disc out will change ones mind. Hell, if they have amazon prime, that can affect a buying decision.

And even then, this sort of thing gets pretty nuanced. I like to think of myself, generally, as pretty savvy and good at researching whatever hobby I get into. In fact, it is something I enjoy. Posting on forums, reading reviews, etc. So while I may make a mistake once in a while, most of my buying decisions are pretty decent I'd say. But as a recent example, I hadn't thrown any MVP/Axiom discs. But there are a ton of people on DGCR who are super into those discs. So while I don't really NEED another fairway driver or putter, I ordered a few discs this week to try them out because it sounded like a fun thing to do. Thus excitement/fanboying/discussion/debate of MVP/Axiom on DGCR directly caused me to spend money.

So, was this peer pressure? Marketing? Hype? Good research? Or do I just like to look for excuses to try new toys? Knowing myself, it's probably that last one. But I'm not going to be so high on my horse as to claim that the rest couldn't be some small part of it as well.

Like I say, pretty mixed bag. But I think the "want to fit in" or "want to throw what the good players throw" is absolutely part of it for some people.

Last edited:
Peer pressure can be a part of it, particularly if a new player joins an existing group and wants to copy what they see in those bags. But marketing, hype, reviews, bad mentoring, foolish purchases, ignorance, weak research, online cliques/groups, etc all play a part. As bradharris said above, this happens with just about everything you buy.

I think that this sums it up. I played with guys tossing nukes, boss, destroyers, etc, just because the numbers said they were good, they wanted fast and long discs. So I cut my teeth on those and it was bad, almost made me not want to play. Then found a buddy that suggested a few that became ones that I would never take out of my bag, leopard, teebird, buzzz. I also felt I should buy and try all makes at first. Now I am settled into a groove on what I like and what I want to toss.

It's a catch 22. The beginners don't feel as if they are beginners so they stay away from it. It's better than advertising the groove as the fastest disc ever made. That's why I bought one when I started. :wall:

I don't see how trying to target a specific audience helps them though. For instance, I bought my wife a diamond and now it's in my bag. I wouldn't have bought that disc for myself but I'm glad I have it for major tailwinds. It's an absolute bomb in a huge tailwind.

I think a lot of people here don't stick with a disc long enough to learn it.. because a similar new mold is released and branded 'better', so they jump ship. Perhaps this is most appearant with MVP and Trilogy discs, but it happened plenty with Innova and Discraft before MVP & DD/Westside came on scene. It's called competition. And right now our sport is thriving from from it.

For beginners who haven't played much/at all and buy their first disc (or few) from the store...I think it's all based on marketing. Beast? Boss? Of course...there are monsters and mobsters on those, and they are ultra high speed. Distance driver. It'll go wayyyy further than a Shark!

After that some of it can be marketing/cool/whatever....new plastic can look so good. MVP discs look amazing and people who have never seen them are very attracted to it. Opto plastic looks great too. If you see these cool discs on the course then you're going to think about it next time. (Notice I said nothing about how they threw or anything...just based on looks/feel)

After that, another stage can be from seeing people and having their eyes opened to what the speed rating means. If you play with someone newer on the course and let them borrow a Buzzz/straight mid for a few shots they may realize that they can throw just as far or further and straighter with a slow disc. If you out throw their Nuke with your Teebird and it's straighter, they'll reconsider the older molds. This I don't really think of a peer pressure thing, but more of an education thing, and it depends on the person for if they are willing to look past the cool factor for what works at their level.

So while I may make a mistake once in a while, most of my buying decisions are pretty decent I'd say. But as a recent example, I hadn't thrown any MVP/Axiom discs. But there are a ton of people on DGCR who are super into those discs. So while I don't really NEED another fairway driver or putter, I ordered a few discs this week to try them out because it sounded like a fun thing to do. Thus excitement/fanboying/discussion/debate of MVP/Axiom on DGCR directly caused me to spend money.

I saw Mike C. throw the MVP/Axiom stuff. I bought some. I wanna be like Mike. :D

(Still trying to get my Envy out to 400ft tho...)

I was lucky enugh to have 4-5 players around and I tried all their discs before deciding to buy pure, aviar, buzzz and leopard as my first discs.

It wasn't so much pressure, but really convincing recommendations :D And a few test throws.

I saw Mike C. throw the MVP/Axiom stuff. I bought some. I wanna be like Mike. :D

(Still trying to get my Envy out to 400ft tho...)

Too funny, I saw videos of him throwing an Anode and ordered one immediately. Funny thing... they fly slightly differently for me...

I'm 50+ years old, so if I see a guy my age throwing certain shots that I struggle with, i'll ask them what they use. One gent I played with in a tournament could do dang near anything with a Diamond. I had received one with my PDGA membership package, said "pffft, noob disc" and tossed in the pile of discards. After witnessing his control, I dug it out and have learned that it is a very useful disc for me. I don't care who makes a disc, or how it's perceived by others. If it works for me, then i'll throw it.

Latest posts