• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pick the most stable disc

What is the most stable disc?

• Total voters
It sounds like you want the baseline for stability to be defined solely on how a disc flies in a headwind. That's certainly one way to look at it. I don't agree with it. But to each his own. Maybe if Old Settlers Park was still the course I played most often than I might (highly unlikely) side with your slant on the idea of stability. But I don't. I have yet to play a course here in NC that has the unlimited openness and treacherous winds that Old Settlers Park provides. As much as I detest the Firebird or any disc with the overstability that is equivalent to it, I will admit that I would certainly carry more than a few discs like it if I had to always deal with strong winds.

I believe defining a baseline in a near windless setting is a more realistic approach to defining stability for a broad range of discs. It creates a median or center point to which discs can be compared or measured accurately.

?????????????

Stability is simply resistance to high speed turn...wind condition simply exaggerate speed and produce turn

An overstable in the woods is a good thing for those has got to absolutely make a hard fade, OH and meathook FH shots....you don't need an overstable but it can be handy...to each his own theres many ways to play a woods course.

I don't get whats so hard to grasp about more vs less stable.....

Somebody going to answer my question about the picture? Or are you going to just keep denying what I"m saying.

I wouldn't use a dictionary to help me pick out discs. Overstable and understable aren't in there.

I don't get whats so hard to grasp about more vs less stable.....

Keep asking yourself that opti. ;) Maybe you'll eventually find your answer.

An overstable in the woods is a good thing for those has got to absolutely make a hard fade, OH and meathook FH shots....you don't need an overstable but it can be handy...to each his own theres many ways to play a woods course.

I don't have an arm for a distance driver with that kind of fade. My personal preference would be to throw something slower with less fade. I have better control of discs that fit that description. I'm not afraid to admit that a Firebird is not something that I can create lines with at any distance or speed. At least not consistently. It's just a personal preference that I don't use extremely overstable discs on wooded courses.. It's not a matter of not being able to grasp over or under stability. The only reason I have a Firebird in my bag is for windy conditions.

And like you said, there are many ways to play a woods course.

I understand your premise (your relating stability to the amount of movement the disc makes in the air when thrown) but to me and many we define stability by how much a disc resists turn (turn is not fade...turn is High speed turnover and not low speed turnover) So by my and those who classify discs this way the firebird will always be more stable than the leopard or buzzz.
It's a semantics argument...your not gonna win....you believe stability is defined by straightness well to most of it is not

I understand your premise (your relating stability to the amount of movement the disc makes in the air when thrown) but to me and many we define stability by how much a disc resists turn (turn is not fade...turn is High speed turnover and not low speed turnover) So by my and those who classify discs this way the firebird will always be more stable than the leopard or buzzz.
It's a semantics argument...your not gonna win....you believe stability is defined by straightness well to most of it is not

I think the poll results would disagree with you that he doesn't have a valid argument, more people seem to think that the 'most stable disc' on that list is the buzz, meaning more people take that term to mean the straightest, not the most overstable. Then again, it's not a runaway vote so I think you can easily argue that both sides have a claim that they have the 'correct' interpretation of that term. Just agree to disagree, and know that we have some ambiguous terms to describe disc flight that can be interpreted different ways.

You might want to inform Innova that you think their semantics are all wrong. As of this poll at this very moment, 56% of us are believing their marketing and another 7% are confused. :)

I also define stability as resistance to turn, but you are missing the other half of stability. Stability is the resistance to change, left or right. Fade or Turn. Therefore, you are defining stability as OVERSTABILITY. Which is wrong.

You might want to inform Innova that you think their semantics are all wrong. As of this poll at this very moment, 56% of us are believing their marketing and another 7% are confused. :)

Yeah, but you're leaving out that 40% have the opposite opinion. As I said above, it's not the black and white argument both of you are making it out to be, it's a complicated set of terms that don't always have clear and unambiguous meanings.

I think the poll results would disagree with you that he doesn't have a valid argument, more people seem to think that the 'most stable disc' on that list is the buzz, meaning more people take that term to mean the straightest, not the most overstable. Then again, it's not a runaway vote so I think you can easily argue that both sides have a claim that they have the 'correct' interpretation of that term. Just agree to disagree, and know that we have some ambiguous terms to describe disc flight that can be interpreted different ways.

Yeah this was all so confusing to me when I was first trying to understand it.....the ambiguity makes for a lot of errors in logic when trying to learn through context and conversations. For this reason I think it's an interesting discussion and both understandindings should be comprehended and differentiating the 2 also would be important to a newcomer.

I mean if a newcomer was throwing his firebird 150 feet into the dirt everytime and he asked for advice....CWAlbino would say get something more stable ...he then goes to the store and asks for something more stable than a firebird and he gets a monster....he goes to the course and now throws 100 feet into the dirt.....

That's a good point, and that's why I personally try to use the terms overstable, straight, and understable, makes for a lot less confusion. If I want a disc that fades harder, I say more overstable, those two extra syllables aren't that hard to say. :)

Yeah this was all so confusing to me when I was first trying to understand it.....the ambiguity makes for a lot of errors in logic when trying to learn through context and conversations. For this reason I think it's an interesting discussion and both understandindings should be comprehended and differentiating the 2 also would be important to a newcomer.

I mean if a newcomer was throwing his firebird 150 feet into the dirt everytime and he asked for advice....CWAlbino would say get something more stable ...he then goes to the store and asks for something more stable than a firebird and he gets a monster....he goes to the course and now throws 100 feet into the dirt.....

No, I would say he needed something more understable. Or less overstable.

The 7% probably aren't confused, Leopard wasn't the best choice for the understable disc, as biscoe pointed out his Proline Leopard flies dead true for him. My Champ Leopard will generally finish with a fade for me while my Special Edition Leopard flips like crazy. Substitute Stingray or Stratus for Leopard.

I also define stability as resistance to turn, but you are missing the other half of stability. Stability is the resistance to change, left or right. Fade or Turn. Therefore, you are defining stability as OVERSTABILITY. Which is wrong.

then shouldnt the poll read, which disc most accurately defines stability? not, which disc is the most stable... the word most implying amount?

Latest posts