• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Play my rating or move up?

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
Right now, I'm rated 852. I'm playing rec and my rating is from a tournament last November that I finished 17th in and a tournament in March that I finished 10th in. Those were my first two PDGA events. The past two weeks, though, I've played in two PDGA events and won them both. Last Saturday, there was 36 people playing rec and I won by 6 shots! Yesterday, There were only 10 playing rec, but I won by 2 shots. I'm looking for some honest opinions here. Do you think it's time for me to move up or should I continue to play my rating? Even after these two wins, I'm anticipating that my rating will be around 875-885 after the next update. What do you guys think?

If you had played intermediate, how would you have done? That should answer your question.

If you've been playing for over 6 years I'd say it's time to move up.

I have been playing off and on for 6 years. I didn't start taking it seriously enough to play competively until last summer. Besides length of time playing has nothing to do with skill level. In March I played an event in rec and a guy on my card the first round was PDGA #18. And I beat him by 9 strokes!

i feel that rec is for players who arent experienced in tourny's. Intermediate is the lowest level of competition IMO. like i said, i think is for players who havn't played more than two or three tournaments before.

I would say that it is time to move up...My entire life I have played competitive sports with people older than me or better than me, and I have never regretted it. it makes me play up to their level rather than playing down to the level of those beneath me. I didn't even play rec my first tourney because of that exact principle and after I won my second tourney in ams I would say that that decision paid off...move up and work harder

If I would have play int. int the two that I won, I would have finished 4th out of 18 and 5th out of 7 repectively.

general rule of thumb imo...if you consistently would money in the division above you then its time to move up. or if your decimating your field then move up. in your case MOVE UP. plus if you play with better people you generally play better yourself.

The attitude that the recreational division is for less experienced players really bugs me. It's no different than any other division save the skill level. It's simply for 850-900 rated players. Players with that attitude consistently force 870-900 rated players who belong in rec to move up, so they can get their a$$ beat by 925 rated players who will then be called sandbaggers for playing intermediate, where they belong. Then they can get whooped up on by 960 rated legit advanced players, who are forced into pro where Schweberger eats them for lunch and they quit the game.

Rant over.

If you're comfortable moving up then the benefits are (typically) larger script payouts to the more competitive divisions - so there's that to keep in mind.

However, are these tournaments for a local/regional series? If so I'd stay in the division for the season, especially if they have a championship tourney or points-leader prize or something of that nature.

The ones who call out "bagger" loudest are typically just on a large dose of haterade anyway...if your rating allows you to be in the division you should not be made to feel guilty about winning.

The attitude that the recreational division is for less experienced players really bugs me. It's no different than any other division save the skill level. It's simply for 850-900 rated players. Players with that attitude consistently force 870-900 rated players who belong in rec to move up, so they can get their a$$ beat by 925 rated players who will then be called sandbaggers for playing intermediate, where they belong. Then they can get whooped up on by 960 rated legit advanced players, who are forced into pro where Schweberger eats them for lunch and they quit the game.

Rant over.

most times i have no issue with playing your rating. however there are some situations were i think you should move up even if your rating isnt caught up. 1) your average round ratings are consistently at the next level. in other words, your true rating hasnt caught up yet. 2) if youre at something like 934, bump up to advance. or a advance player whose 980+ should bump up to Pro. youre not gonna make the next step up unless you play with better competition.

move up bagger

If you are consistently winning rec its time to challenge yourself

On your worst day are you still in the top half of rec?
On your best day are you in the top half of int?

Why players feel they must be able to win the division they are in is beyond me........I would ask if it is possible to come in DFL in the next division and only then would I stay down.

People are allowed to play their ratings. If they want to play up to challenge themselves they are able

I am sick and tired of people thinking other players need to change divisions when the ratings system doesn't require it yet. If everyone just stuck to the ratings system there would never be a problem in the first place.

And to the person saying that no one gains anything by playing Rec. more than a few times. Some people are just Rec. Level players skillwise for most of their Disc Golf career. It doesnt make them love Disc Golf any less than those of us who compete in Advanced. Let them enjoy themselves too.

Playing a tournament is about finding out where you are it is NOT where you get better. Playing with better people during leagues and casually will make you better. In tournies it is about winning, if you are rated 875 you are a MA3 player, it is not your fault that others are too proud to play their rating. If you play to the best of your ability every round and have a PDGA membership it is impossible to Sand Bag. The whole "Rec is for first timers" idea is not the PDGA official position, MA3 is for sub 900 players is the official stance.

People are allowed to play their ratings. If they want to play up to challenge themselves they are able

I am sick and tired of people thinking other players need to change divisions when the ratings system doesn't require it yet. If everyone just stuck to the ratings system there would never be a problem in the first place.

And to the person saying that no one gains anything by playing Rec. more than a few times. Some people are just Rec. Level players skillwise for most of their Disc Golf career. It doesnt make them love Disc Golf any less than those of us who compete in Advanced. Let them enjoy themselves too.

I agree with this

My points are those who insist on winning/placing vs competing as their criteria for moving up

The problem is everyone has their potential best rating and for many/most it lies in the middle or bottom of a division.......I can see why many get sick of donating to the same pro they will never beat every weekend and play down and have a 1 in 5 chance of winning.

I also agree that too often too many are playing up rather than playing their division. Me included. I think more play above their rating than play below it.

if you enjoy playing disc golf...great..if you enjoy it and don't have that urge to be the best you can be and just wanna play for fun, please by all means do so. Play whatever division you please. If you want to get better, Rec is not the place for it. INT. isn't even the place for it IMO; i went straight to ADV, but thats just me. I just got the feeling that the op wants to be the best he can be so i suggest he gets the hell out of rec.

Playing INT or ADV will not make you better. Field work, putting practice and focus will make you better. Play wherever you're comfortable playing. If you move up and feel like you're donating every time, drop back down. If somebody accuses you of sandbagging, smile at them as you walk away with your stack of plastic.

Latest posts