• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

please help find new throws

I saw someone throwing knife hyzers in practice before a tournament round. Very effective but they look very hard to pull off unless you really know what you are doing. I imagine that there are easier to control shots that could be used rather than this one. Just a thought.
Try a few round where you only throw knife hyzers. They're actually really easy to learn and control if you use the right discs (Z Predator, Champ Firebird, E Spirit...Whippet, Viper or Blaze if you want something slower).

The advantages are high wind resistance, little movement after landing and very little blowby. The only disadvantage is you need the room to do it.

It's a great way to run at the basket without worrying about missing and going very far past. It's also a great way to use a very wind resistant disc for a shorter hole that might normally require a shallower rimmed disc that normally gets affected by the wind a lot. Say you have a 250' shot that would normally be a long putter or shorter mid hole and you have a 15mph headwind. Rather than risking one of those discs getting caught or batted by the wind you can just pop an easy spike hyzer. Or say you have a 100' approach and want to make a run at it. Just throw a steep hyzer with your putter. You can put more into it and if you miss you're still right next to the basket.

In short, it's a great way to take the "touch" requirement out of a shot.

Tom Edwards throws a pretty mean wing too. He's alleged to have thrown it 400'. From the quick little demo he showed me it could be true.

I have a chicken wing ace, old #4B at Seneca. Short little hole though.

nice!! i got a ctp on that hole in a tourney back in '96? got one of my first "out of town" aces on 1a the same day(before the tourney)

Try a few round where you only throw knife hyzers. They're actually really easy to learn and control if you use the right discs (Z Predator, Champ Firebird, E Spirit...Whippet, Viper or Blaze if you want something slower).

The advantages are high wind resistance, little movement after landing and very little blowby. The only disadvantage is you need the room to do it.

It's a great way to run at the basket without worrying about missing and going very far past. It's also a great way to use a very wind resistant disc for a shorter hole that might normally require a shallower rimmed disc that normally gets affected by the wind a lot. Say you have a 250' shot that would normally be a long putter or shorter mid hole and you have a 15mph headwind. Rather than risking one of those discs getting caught or batted by the wind you can just pop an easy spike hyzer. Or say you have a 100' approach and want to make a run at it. Just throw a steep hyzer with your putter. You can put more into it and if you miss you're still right next to the basket.

In short, it's a great way to take the "touch" requirement out of a shot.

good stuff garublador, you seem to always have good advice and a great writing talent

I throw three different basic kinds of anhyzers not including the flex shot.

The most common is when I need the disc to turn right fairly late in the throw essentially trying to mimic the fade of a LHBH throw. The body angle is pretty much the same here as a normal flat throw.

The next one is more of a sweeping annie that I want to turn in a pretty consistent arc through the entire flight. An extremely understable disc can turn into a sky roller whereas more stable and over stable discs will flatten out towards the end of the flight. This is released with the shoulders back more than a normal flat throw.

The last is a big knife annie and again depending on the stability of the disc it might land on edge or land flat.

I have a buddy who throws knive hyzers as all of his approach shots out of 20 feet. He throws a champ starfire and when he doesn't sink it, he is almost always right next to the basket

we can always agree to disagree? i think i may agree with many more people if they word things better? sometimes it is hard to get the point of someone's post without a clear, concise explanation..it is always easier to have a good argument face to face so you can physically show the other person the point you are trying to drive home!!?

Ever try a 'knife putt'? try this some time when you're anywhere in putting range (say < 50') and there's a tree or other obstacle directly in line between you and the basket about halfway to the hole. Calculate in your mind how hard and how high you'd have to throw a 'blade' or vertical shot to get to the basket. Using a Roc (or Roc equivalent) throw it almost dead vertical to the right of the tree as close as you can get without hitting it at the height you calculated. It's really not as hard to do as it was to type (or read) that sentence. You'll find if you calulated the distance right they'll go in a surpising amount of the time.

I will normally step out to the left and try to bend an anyhyzer Aero around the tree but will use the 'blade' when that lane isn't so desirable.

Latest posts