• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Power Driver Freak PEEDEE Thread

I live in Europe so its kinda expensive to order from US. How do I see/feel the difference on the JL comared to any other C-PD?

Wait... are those JL PD's the Avery Jenkins PD's?

The US discmania store has JL AJ PD's as well as CFR AJ PD's. The CFR ones are $25 ea. JL PD's are also widely available without the AJ stamp I believe.

I've yet to find a PD that flies as OS as the CFR's and the one in my bag gets regular flight time with a stack of backups at home. I haven't thrown the JL version yet though, hopefully/maybe they're close to the CFR's?

The US discmania store has JL AJ PD's as well as CFR AJ PD's. The CFR ones are $25 ea. JL PD's are also widely available without the AJ stamp I believe.

I've yet to find a PD that flies as OS as the CFR's and the one in my bag gets regular flight time with a stack of backups at home. I haven't thrown the JL version yet though, hopefully/maybe they're close to the CFR's?

The JL PD is very close to CFR's. Touch more dome and glide though. I threw the JL PD on a 400' hole with flat release and there was no turn at all with very nice fade at the end.

What is "true" speed? It's more a marketing concept than anything else. Rim thickness often corresponds to speed rating, but not always. Innova's marketing has designated "speed 7" as fairway speed and "speed 9" and above, for the most part, distance driver speed, with "big boy" discs starting at 10, but really it's just made up. Ever notice how speed 8 is almost empty on the flight charts? Does that mean that there are few 1.8 cm discs - no, not at all. Roadrunner and Sidewinder are 1.8, but listed as 9. TL, FD and FD2 are 1.8, but listed as 7. Purists would probably tell you that the difference is how fast they move through the air, despite the rim thickness; or how far the disc will go; or how controllable the disc is relative to its distance potential; or whatever; in the end, I think it's more conceptual and marketing than anything else.

Here's the important thing to understand, IMO, all that matters is how the disc performs for you, how you use it, and how it performs relative to the other discs you've chosen to bag. I think people make a mistake by focusing on where discs overlap instead of where they don't; that is, it's far less important what discs have in common than what they don't. If two discs overlap on 99 shots out of a 100, is it worth it to carry both? That depends on how important that 1 other shot is to your game. If it's important, either because you use that shot a lot, or when you need that shot no other disc can do what it does, or even that you're not confident with that shot with any other disc, then it probably merits a slot in the bag.

Should you carry both a PD and TB? There is a lot of overlap, but they do have their differences. Do you have the skill set or power to take advantage of the differences? I don't know, but if not, then it's probably not worth it because the outcome of any particular shot with one would likely be outside the margin of your technical ability to have a reliably and predictably different result with the other. If you do have the appropriate skill set to utilize their differences, then maybe you should bag both.

However, with that said, I think there is a value in learning to do more with fewer discs. In theory, your shot selection is more limited than it otherwise would be, but I think you acquire greater precision through familiarity with your limited selection, and greater skill by figuring how to make your discs work for you, and in the end, skill wins championships, not discs.

Frankly, I think 99% of us would probably be better at this game if we picked 6 discs and just stuck with them, almost regardless of which ones any particular person picked--and I don't mean 6 molds, I mean 6 discs. Last year I played a tourney on a challenging and technical course--one guy dominated the field, and all he had was four discs (if recall correctly, it was two aviars (one dx, one champ), a roc, and a teebird).

My $.02.

Very well said and I appreciate your .02. I'll have to do some field work and determine if it's worth carrying both.

bought a new spd to replace my ppd. i need one to keep its stability for a grip. flies perfectly. had 2 "What was that" questions with that disc the first day i brought it out.

5F1rlTF.jpg

My two latest purchases. I've been pretty good lately with not buying discs. Doing well in tournaments is usually how I get new plastic, but I haven't gotten to try anything Discmania in Vancouver.

Until today! It was windy and the C-PD (174g) flew like it was a calm summer day. I threw my teebird and destroyer (the ones that I use for straight shots) to see how the C-PD would fit, and the C-PD sat itself right behind the destroyer. Its flight was very controlled: minor turn to the right, gliding, and finishing off with a bit of fade. I'm definitely keeping this one for shots my teebird can't make.

The S-PD (172g) turned over in the wind and would finish to the right of where I was aiming. When the wind wasn't blowing as hard, it actually finished a bit to the left of where I was aiming. I think I need a bit more practice to learn how it flies (I think I started to hyzer it because of the wind). I noticed the disc was very "bendy" compared to the C-PD which was very stiff. Not certain if I will be keeping this, but I will work on learning it soon.

5F1rlTF.jpg

My two latest purchases. I've been pretty good lately with not buying discs. Doing well in tournaments is usually how I get new plastic, but I haven't gotten to try anything Discmania in Vancouver.

Until today! It was windy and the C-PD (174g) flew like it was a calm summer day. I threw my teebird and destroyer (the ones that I use for straight shots) to see how the C-PD would fit, and the C-PD sat itself right behind the destroyer. Its flight was very controlled: minor turn to the right, gliding, and finishing off with a bit of fade. I'm definitely keeping this one for shots my teebird can't make.

The S-PD (172g) turned over in the wind and would finish to the right of where I was aiming. When the wind wasn't blowing as hard, it actually finished a bit to the left of where I was aiming. I think I need a bit more practice to learn how it flies (I think I started to hyzer it because of the wind). I noticed the disc was very "bendy" compared to the C-PD which was very stiff. Not certain if I will be keeping this, but I will work on learning it soon.

Nice. I've got an orange c and a white s also.
I also carry a p-line and now recently have removed two of my three teebirds cause I just keep throwing the PD. Your flight descriptions, for windy days, pretty accurately describe my c and s also. I've really come to enjoy getting to the tee and immediately knowing which PD to grab.

I recently got a C-Line. It was the first one I found that wasn't in the +mold. It is also fairly domey, and max weight. It's flight is right between my S-Line (the most Stable PD I have, 171g and flat) and my P-Line (max weight, flat). The C-Line I have hits the line, then has a slow HSS slide, then finishes hard. Kind of reminds me of a TB flight, but longer. Really, really enjoying PDs lately, and I feel this C-Line was a great addition to the bag.

Definitely not hanging it up,i keep throwing my ace discs :)

It was about a 300ish shot,but its a tricky line to hit. Sort of a straight shot that has to start fading out the last 20% of the way. Ive come close every time but always have been low and parked. This time i threw it higher and it banged straight in. I can toss a buzzz out that way but its just harder to hit with little skip. The pd is my fairway/control didtance disc so i use it a lot .

Definitely not hanging it up,i keep throwing my ace discs :)

It was about a 300ish shot,but its a tricky line to hit. Sort of a straight shot that has to start fading out the last 20% of the way. Ive come close every time but always have been low and parked. This time i threw it higher and it banged straight in. I can toss a buzzz out that way but its just harder to hit with little skip. The pd is my fairway/control didtance disc so i use it a lot .
Do you use fairway drivers other than the pd?