• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Power Driver Freak PEEDEE Thread

It's a consistent indicator of older plastic. I've seen new Star Teebirds with PFN stamps but no patent numbers.

In my quest to minimize my bag, I have considered adding a C-PD (175) but only if it could knock out 2 other molds. Anybody think it could do that?

the PD's power down very well as well .. im not one for really powering down on shots but if thats your cup of tea it may be able to take care of some of your fairway duties along with distance driver role

the PD's power down very well as well .. im not one for really powering down on shots but if thats your cup of tea it may be able to take care of some of your fairway duties along with distance driver role

I'm finding this as well. I'm currently carrying three Teebirds (champ, star, G*) and I'm going back and forth on whether I need the champ when I could power down a PD. The distance separation isn't that wide of a gap, and I'm throwing the PD into headwinds anyway, so....

Patent numbers, in my limited experience, hasn't told me much. I've had a few beefy patent numbers, a couple with the perfect flight, just straight for days, and a weird patent number that flew like a broken in p-line. Is there a particular reason you guys are seeking them that I am not aware of?

i sold some dude my patent number one for a normal used price hope their not onto something haha

I know there are some oddball s line runs out there (super high plh red 150 class s lines come to mind), but the plh is pretty consistent between my patent and no patent fundraisers. Some are flat, others have a gradual slight dome but nothing I'd call domey. For me its more the feel of the plastic. Older star feels more dense in the hand if that makes any sense. I think the newer s lines feel more like pro although the flight is similar.

It's a consistent indicator of older plastic. I've seen new Star Teebirds with PFN stamps but no patent numbers.

Correct. Having the patent numbers on the bottom is a telltale sign that the disc is of an older run. The mold had to be physically changed to remove the numbers from it (on a few Star Teebirds I have I can actually see the rough spot where they used to be.) As a result, an older one can be stamped with the new stamp, or vice versa in the case of a PFN stamped TB w/o patent numbers. However, I don't believe the removal of the patent numbers happened at the same time across molds, so it kind of is a wash to pinpoint a specific time it happened.
Now if having the patent numbers clearly make a difference, that too is a wash. Half of my SPD's have 'em, and the other don't. No noticeable flight differences.

Last edited:
wait you carry wraith and destroyer? there almost the same exact disc. like .1 cm difference too

I've had this combo for several years. The Destroyer has more high and low speed stability. I definitely get more skip from a Destroyer than my Wraiths. I am so determined to get down to 8 molds that this may be where I slim down. I've got two tournaments going on the next two weekends so no changes will happen for a few weeks.

I threw my first and now perfectly seasoned S-PD into the pond today... searched for an hour but couldn't find it. My heart is broken. Thanks for hearing me out (not that you have much of a choice but whatever).
On the bright side, I do have another S-PD awaiting to be broken in and two P-PDs that I just started to throw... Too bad I have a tourney tomorrow.

im waiting till production run. im feenin for a pink one.
You and me both! This will be the one and only mold I grab in G-anything.

I threw my first and now perfectly seasoned S-PD into the pond today... searched for an hour but couldn't find it. My heart is broken. Thanks for hearing me out (not that you have much of a choice but whatever).
On the bright side, I do have another S-PD awaiting to be broken in and two P-PDs that I just started to throw... Too bad I have a tourney tomorrow.
Ugh... I know that feeling. Sorry for your loss.

Lately I've had a couple of close calls with my most seasoned shield stamp S-PD, but have been fortunate to get it back. First one went way up in a tree and after taking a while to spot it, it was a chore to get it back. HUGE thanks to rallyguy who has some mad accuracy and blasted it down with a big branch. Second was a roller that got away and tucked up under a rock. Just so happened that someone was walking by it a couple of days later and happened to catch a glimpse of it and was cool enough to call me to get it back. :thmbup: The thought of losing that disc is enough to give me some serious anxiety, so I understand completely.