• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Tour Live Coverage

So many people make this invalid argument. Live disc golf is as free as network television. Funded by showing you advertisements. You pay with your eyes, ears, and time.

Symantecs is never worth arguing over. I'm sure you know what I'm saying however I'll refrase. I am angry about disc golf coverage that comes to me at 0 monetary cost!

JC obviously has a different definition for "right out of the gate"

Guess I do. Even having read that, I'm not going to expect that from second one of the first broadcast, everything is going to go off without a hitch and be perfect. That's insane and unrealistic. And I pity people who go through life with those kinds of expectations...they're going to be constantly disappointed.

I'm not interested in the live coverage at this time. Until there are enough cameras available to show multiple groups at a time, I'm just not going to bother.

Even the canned product was annoying to me. Sure, Val and Nate were fine. But watching the group walk down the fairway just doesn't amuse me. For some reason, even the "bonus" coverage annoyed me. Maybe it's just my poor attention span, but I MUCH PREFER post produced, edited, footage.

I did watch MPO feature card all the way through... not counting fast forwarding to turn the 2 1/2 hour video into 1 hour. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the image quality after all was said and done.

Now I just have to wait for them to play on more interesting (to me) courses.

Last edited:
I really wanted to post a comment on the live chat that all the positive comments about the coverage were Steve Dodge furiously creating duplicate accounts, but I figured I'd get banned for that.

I really wanted to post a comment on the live chat that all the positive comments about the coverage were Steve Dodge furiously creating duplicate accounts, but I figured I'd get banned for that.

Compared to yesterday it was like watching Monday Night Football.. The quality was much better, they just need to get some actual cameramen and not some D.A. that thinks a zoom is the best thing since sliced bread.

You have inside knowledge about how this was handled? I mean, it's fine if you're unhappy with the decisions or disagree with the decisions, but unless you're on the inside, how can you comment on how he handled his dealings with these parties?

I don't have to see a sewer to smell it. And how can I comment? I click the button, type my opinion, and click 'Submit'...

I'm only going on what I saw and heard when Steve was on the Smashboxx podcast where the "firing" was announced publicly. They seemed to accept it amicably, and they're still working with Steve after the fact, so if THEY don't feel it was handled poorly enough to abandon Dodge and the tour, why should anyone else?

Just because they seemingly accepted it 'amicably'... and I don't know that I'm accepting that as a premise... doesn't mean Dodge didn't treat them badly. I think he did, I think he made bad decisions in doing so, and Time will tell if that is right or not.

Disagree completely.

When they say "We are confident that the efficiencies created by our new media team structure and technology will allow us to create high-quality disc golf media right out of the gate" it's completely fair to criticize their first attempt.
https://www.dgpt.com/news/media-plan-part-2

There wouldn't be this level of criticism had Dodge not set the standard with his proclamation that the coverage would be better. If you put yourself out there like that and don't deliver the criticism is justified whether the content is free or not.

Exactly. Thank you both.

Not at all. After the way Steve Dodge treated Smashboxx, CCDG, and Jomez so badly, we have every right to expect and demand that Dodge deliver a better product immediately, and he has not done so. Because of the way he treated Smashboxx, CCDG, and Jomez, he should not be cut any slack at all.

Shrug...I don't own stock in any of those companies and have no business interjecting myself into a business decision that brings me a free product. I don't feel entitled enough to see myself as having much to be outraged about.

Just because they seemingly accepted it 'amicably'... and I don't know that I'm accepting that as a premise... doesn't mean Dodge didn't treat them badly. I think he did, I think he made bad decisions in doing so, and Time will tell if that is right or not.

100%.

And Terry has had a long standing, self-proclaimed friendship with Steve. He's obviously going to be more forgiving of his behavior, and less likely to air his frustrations.

I think that it is pretty telling that many of the media teams surrounding our sport were more upset by how the DGPT treated smashboxx than how it might impact themselves.

Even if Terry and team didn't come out and voice their own frustrations, it's clear that everyone in the industry recognizes that Steve did them wrong.

All of that being said, todays coverage was much smoother than yesterdays and was at least a step in the right direction.

100%.

And Terry has had a long standing, self-proclaimed friendship with Steve. He's obviously going to be more forgiving of his behavior, and less likely to air his frustrations.

I think that it is pretty telling that many of the media teams surrounding our sport were more upset by how the DGPT treated smashboxx than how it might impact themselves.

Even if Terry and team didn't come out and voice their own frustrations, it's clear that everyone in the industry recognizes that Steve did them wrong.

All of that being said, todays coverage was much smoother than yesterdays and was at least a step in the right direction.

In a professional business world, is it ever acceptable to "air" any perceived frustration with partners in your industry?

So, despite Smashboxx not "airing" their perceived frustration, it is easy to see that "everyone" is outraged?

I understand this is a forum, and we all can voice our opinions, I am more comfortable basing mine on something more substantial than conjecture and supposition.

In a professional business world, is it ever acceptable to "air" any perceived frustration with partners in your industry?

So, despite Smashboxx not "airing" their perceived frustration, it is easy to see that "everyone" is outraged?

I understand this is a forum, and we all can voice our opinions, I am more comfortable basing mine on something more substantial than conjecture and supposition.

Your unentitled high horse must be nice. If Nate Sexton is not playing DGPT events (granted he has more of a dog in this fight with BigSexy) I would think it can be reasonably assumed that some people in the disc golf circle thought what Steve did was a bad look. I think its reasonable to extend the same to smashboxx. Everyone telling you that viewership=revenue, is 100% correct, go start a youtube channel for a living and tell me our eyes aren't valuable.

In a professional Business world, is it ever acceptable to "fire" someone in public. I don't know what kind of environment you work in, but that sh!t is very poor form unbecoming of a professional and a businessman.

In a professional Business world, is it ever acceptable to "fire" someone in public. I don't know what kind of environment you work in, but that sh!t is very poor form unbecoming of a professional and a businessman.

You realize that Terry, Jonny, and Steve set that up, right? That Steve had informed them that he wouldn't be retaining their services privately and directly (i.e. professionally) but that Terry and Jonny decided they wanted Steve to "break" the news while he was on their show?

It's not like they invited Steve on the show unaware that they were going to be "fired".

Your unentitled high horse must be nice. If Nate Sexton is not playing DGPT events (granted he has more of a dog in this fight with BigSexy) I would think it can be reasonably assumed that some people in the disc golf circle thought what Steve did was a bad look. I think its reasonable to extend the same to smashboxx. Everyone telling you that viewership=revenue, is 100% correct, go start a youtube channel for a living and tell me our eyes aren't valuable.

Not using innuendo as fact, is not really much of a high horse. Sexton has never said his decision, to not play DGPT events was, in any way, related to a media business decision. You are welcome to infer this, but presenting it as fact, is wrong. I am not defending Steve Dodge, but I don't really care what decisions he makes for his livelihood. If he makes a deal to only use Discatchers, I am not going to be outraged on behalf of Innova. You could be right on the mark with your suppositions, I don't really know.

I understand that viewership is money on the internet. But, I don't see why I would withhold watching something I love, from myself in support of people I don't know. I would much rather watch a hockey game on my local FSN, but I am not about to boycott the NHL network, because I don't like the camera angles and announcers.

You realize that Terry, Jonny, and Steve set that up, right? That Steve had informed them that he wouldn't be retaining their services privately and directly (i.e. professionally) but that Terry and Jonny decided they wanted Steve to "break" the news while he was on their show?

It's not like they invited Steve on the show unaware that they were going to be "fired".

I'm not sure why people don't want to hear or believe this. I guess it does not fit their narrative.

Last edited:

Well sh!t, I just got lawyered :doh:. Carry on

Even the produced day after has issues. Black screen in the first few minutes of FPO, and the commentators even seemed thrown off by it. I sure hope they get it together, the live coverage is not enjoyable to me, hoping the rest of the edited stuff is better put together.

Just seems like the camera work is not up to snuff. Inexperience by the operators maybe? It is a different thing to film from what most are probably used to. Credit to CCDG, Jomez, gatekeeper, and even terry miller (though I do not enjoy his commentary) for their camera work. The pro tour coverage is showing just how much skill those guys posses.

Not using innuendo as fact, is not really much of a high horse. Sexton has never said his decision, to not play DGPT events was, in any way, related to a media business decision. You are welcome to infer this, but presenting it as fact, is wrong. I am not defending Steve Dodge, but I don't really care what decisions he makes for his livelihood. If he makes a deal to only use Discatchers, I am not going to be outraged on behalf of Innova. You could be right on the mark with your suppositions, I don't really know.

I understand that viewership is money on the internet. But, I don't see why I would withhold watching something I love, from myself in support of people I don't know. I would much rather watch a hockey game on my local FSN, but I am not about to boycott the NHL network, because I don't like the camera angles and announcers.

I'm not sure why people don't want to hear or believe this. I guess it does not fit their narrative.

To start I want apologize for coming off condescending with my high horse comment, I've just seen you and JC throw around the word entitlement so much. (that word hurts millennials feelings)

In realty, its not about boycotting or bad mouthing, it's about respecting your viewers and media partners (jomez,smashboxx,ccdg). These two groups are in such large part responsible for DGPT's success. I think a middle road could have been found to integrate the DGPT sponsors better with the views from jomez/smash/CCDG without cutting them out completely. Go watch Cory's interview with Dodge, there is palpable tension because of the way this change was handled. In such a small sport like pro scene disc golf, I think working smarter together would make more sense. Niche markets are the new world and old school business tactics don't always translate.

To start I want apologize for coming off condescending with my high horse comment, I've just seen you and JC throw around the word entitlement so much. (that word hurts millennials feelings)

In realty, its not about boycotting or bad mouthing, it's about respecting your viewers and media partners (jomez,smashboxx,ccdg). These two groups are in such large part responsible for DGPT's success. I think a middle road could have been found to integrate the DGPT sponsors better with the views from jomez/smash/CCDG without cutting them out completely. Go watch Cory's interview with Dodge, there is palpable tension because of the way this change was handled. In such a small sport like pro scene disc golf, I think working smarter together would make more sense. Niche markets are the new world and old school business tactics don't always translate.

Tis the interwebz, man....no need to apologize, it is all good.

Great points, and I really agree with the premise. My point all along has been, that it is a business decision. Dodge obviously felt he could save/make money by bringing the media production in house. I might not agree, but I have no skin in the game. I am confident that Jomez/CCDG....will all be fine. There seems to be more than enough major tournaments to go around and I don't believe any of them are covering less disc golf this season. I have always seen it as a win for those wanting to watch disc golf. Jomez and the rest are currently putting out a better product, but it was not always that way. It took them years to get to this point and I suspect Dodge and company will get there much quicker. I believe it will result in more overall coverage, more overall quality and more overall eyes on the game. All good things, if you are into growing the sport on that level.