• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Tour Live Coverage

Bit nit-picky, no? Seems the kind of error that is likely to happen once in a while when you're rushing to get the videos out in a hurry no matter who is producing the video. I mean, even Jomez makes those kinds of errors. In their video of the final FPO round at Las Vegas, their pre-round player intros had the graphics/photos for Paige Bjerkaas and Eveliina Salonen swapped.

Definitely nit-picky in the context of an otherwise well-produced video, but in this case, with so little apparent attention to detail, it's just another thing on the pile that suggests they're in over their heads at this time. I'm not being negative to be negative. Don't they need this feedback if they want to be better? I'm certainly rooting for the coverage to become awesome, especially the post-production coverage. I'll be watching it either way, most likely.

I don't know... seeing Terry "The Disc Golf Guy" walking around filming with his phone, made me feel sorry for the guy.

He's filming with his phone for his instagram, not for round coverage. He went live yesterday during a back-up for the group he was covering with his camera. Nothing to feel sorry for him about.

This is exactly the point. If you have been buying shoes from a company for two years in a row and when you go to get the third pair they're terrible quality and fall apart the first time you wear them you would be pissed. The same is true here, when you promise to bring it in house and have the same quality but fall flat people notice. In the interview with Cory, Steve says that the camera operators only practice filming disc golf was at local courses with random casual players. Going from that base straight to the Memorial seems like a recipe for failure and expecting different seems a little arrogant.

Except you are not buying anything.....it is free. I am not comfortable dictating how people give me free stuff.

So do you think we'll have to spend the rest of the year with this coverage or maybe they'll say..."hey guys our bad, let's get the post production crews back out here!"

They're not giving us free stuff out of the goodnes of their hearts. This is a business venture for DGPT. They want viewership. They want us watching, because it will mean money for them if they're successful. That's not to suggest they don't have a passion for disc golf, but let's be real about what this is (and why they want the coverage instead of CCDG and Jomez).

I've been enjoying the coverage, minus the interruptions and freezing here and there obviously. But I think it's better than I originally thought it would be. Always loved Val and Nate and I think they give decent insight. They're no BigSexy but...who is? I think if they can somehow iron out some connections issues (better air cards or maybe swap carriers, or have multiple carriers for different parts of the country/coverage). I'll still prefer watching next day production stuff, but this isn't too awful.

Except you are not buying anything.....it is free. I am not comfortable dictating how people give me free stuff.

But we like good free stuff better than bad free stuff.

We are not paying with our money, but we are paying with our viewership. Small price, but if enough eyeballs are on the coverage, it makes the producer $.

I've been enjoying the coverage, minus the interruptions and freezing here and there obviously. But I think it's better than I originally thought it would be. Always loved Val and Nate and I think they give decent insight. They're no BigSexy but...who is? I think if they can somehow iron out some connections issues (better air cards or maybe swap carriers, or have multiple carriers for different parts of the country/coverage). I'll still prefer watching next day production stuff, but this isn't too awful.

The last two days have been pretty good for live coverage. Honestly, not that noticeably different in quality than what we had before. Slightly worse picture. Definitely worse camera work, but improving. Commentary being remote is meh but Nate and Val are doing a fine job. Hearing the on the course audio is nice.

The post-produced though? The disparity in quality between DGPT post-produced and Jomez/CCDG is much larger than the gap between Smashboxx live and DGPT Live (now that they are ironing sheet out). Jomez and CCDG blow this DGPT post-production out of the water. Better picture, better camerawork, better graphics, better audio, better music, better attention to detail, better everything. Post-produced has been my preferred medium to consume disc golf because it's only an hour for an 18 hole round as opposed to 3 hours or more, the videography from CCDG and especially Jomez is really solid, and it was easier to follow the disc and the action in general. The more polished product was worth the wait. DGPT post-production has taken off most of the shine.

The one advantage Smashboxx live coverage had on good post-produced was that it was live. You didn't have to avoid spoilers and you were watching the action as it unfolded. Sports are designed to be viewed live if possible. If you didn't mind waiting a day and knowing that what you are watching transpired yesterday, the post-produced was better in every other way. But now that the same cameras are being used for live and post-production, forget it. It feels like watching a disc golf video from 5 years ago.

But we like good free stuff better than bad free stuff.

We are not paying with our money, but we are paying with our viewership. Small price, but if enough eyeballs are on the coverage, it makes the producer $.

Regardless of motivation, regardless of benefit, regardless of revenue, it is still free to me. Yes, everything in life has the cost of time and forgone opportunities, if that is anyone's point. I was taught to be appreciative when people give me stuff.

When grandma gave a young ru4por a cookie, I was not allowed to go to the rest of the family and complain that it had nuts. I took it, gave grandma a kiss and gave the cookie to my sister on the sly. (she loves nuts) :p Shrug, maybe we all come from different walks in life.

I just finished watching FPO R2 F9. Here are some pros and cons.

Pros:
--Camera work was better (but see below)

--There was music

--Commentary continues to be solid (and at times humorous... see below)

--The commentary was no longer several seconds ahead of the video (see cons below, however)

--Graphics package looked decent

--Overall improvement in audio (but...)

Cons:
--They still don't know how to sync the commentary with the video. This time it was about 5 second behind the video. This isn't as big a problem, since it doesn't spoil putts, but it's a bit weird to hear the commentators get excited about a made putt several seconds after we see it happen, for instance.

--Audio editing still leaves a lot to be desired. At times, background noises were extremely loud, to the point Zoe commented on it and said "I'm not sure what's going on with the audio there--sounds like someone was crinkling a paper bag"

--Camera guys are still a work in progress, and reading between the lines, I think players have been noticing. At one point, Jen Allen threw a shot right at the camera guy, and Hokum commented something like "That disc is heading right at the camera guy. And it's not coming off the line she threw it on......................" --with the obvious subtext being that the guy should've known to move. Not sure exactly how close it came to hitting him, but it looked very close. Shot ended up OB in the water.

--Camera guys are still a work in progress, and reading between the lines, I think players have been noticing. At one point, Jen Allen threw a shot right at the camera guy, and Hokum commented something like "That disc is heading right at the camera guy. And it's not coming off the line she threw it on......................" --with the obvious subtext being that the guy should've known to move. Not sure exactly how close it came to hitting him, but it looked very close. Shot ended up OB in the water.

To add to this, in round 1 MPO Post-Produced Uli said more than once "you can't tell from this angle, but..." Nate Doss said similar multiple times during the live coverage. The pros who have agreed to do commentary noting the bad camerawork isn't a good look. I'm sure they'll get better with practice and time, but we've been spoiled by camera people who've been at this for a while.

Regardless of motivation, regardless of benefit, regardless of revenue, it is still free to me. Yes, everything in life has the cost of time and forgone opportunities, if that is anyone's point. I was taught to be appreciative when people give me stuff.

When grandma gave a young ru4por a cookie, I was not allowed to go to the rest of the family and complain that it had nuts. I took it, gave grandma a kiss and gave the cookie to my sister on the sly. (she loves nuts) :p Shrug, maybe we all come from different walks in life.

You know, if you gave granny a dime for the cookie or bought one of her doilies at an inflated price, then you might be more accurate when you compare her cookies to the Jomez/CCDG video business model.

Latest posts