• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Tour Live Coverage

To start I want apologize for coming off condescending with my high horse comment, I've just seen you and JC throw around the word entitlement so much. (that word hurts millennials feelings)

In realty, its not about boycotting or bad mouthing, it's about respecting your viewers and media partners (jomez,smashboxx,ccdg). These two groups are in such large part responsible for DGPT's success. I think a middle road could have been found to integrate the DGPT sponsors better with the views from jomez/smash/CCDG without cutting them out completely. Go watch Cory's interview with Dodge, there is palpable tension because of the way this change was handled. In such a small sport like pro scene disc golf, I think working smarter together would make more sense. Niche markets are the new world and old school business tactics don't always translate.

Thing is, they weren't cut out completely. Okay, Smashboxx was (though with Jonny V and Gary O working this weekend, maybe not?), but not Jomez or CCDG. Both of those post-production crews were offered the chance to work with the DGPT going forward. They just weren't going to get to cover the top two MPO or the top FPO cards...at least unless they hooked their cameras up to the transmitters and shot for the live broadcast which apparently they're unwilling to do (there were rumors Jomez were going to do that at USDGC but I don't believe it happened).

From Jomez/CCDG's perspective, I can understand not wanting to "step down" to cover MPO3 or FPO2. They won't get the same view counts that a lead card would. Makes total sense that without access to the lead card, they're not interested in spending whatever it costs to be there. And I'm sorry if the word triggers some folks, but just because they have the biggest subscription base or the "best" editing/presentation, that doesn't mean they're entitled to cover the lead card(s) at every big event. I absolutely don't think the crews feel entitled, but some of their fans certainly do.

From DGPT's perspective, I totally understand wanting to streamline production of those lead cards. Not just to bring the post-produced videos in-house to their channel for ad purposes, but also to lighten the media crowd on those cards during play. Why have 4 to 6 cameras pointed at the lead card alone when you can spread those cameras out to cover more players? Doubling up the duties of the live cameras to provide the footage for the post-produced makes sense. Whether that will yield satisfactory results remains to be seen, but on paper, it is an entirely reasonable plan.

I don't really have any skin in the game. I'm just trying to keep an open mind about everything. The only thing that rankles me in these discussions is the insistence that there are "sides" to be taken and things are doomed to fail before they even get a chance to try based solely on who is trying to do them.

Val has mentioned several times that people working on the broadcast are "volunteers". Who is she referring to, beyond presumably herself and Nate?

Val has mentioned several times that people working on the broadcast are "volunteers". Who is she referring to, beyond presumably herself and Nate?

Well, I assume all of the folks running the cameras and doing the back-end production are not professionals at those jobs. Or at least, they have regular day jobs that they're taking time off from to do this. Even if they're compensated with a stipend for travel/lodging/food, I doubt they're in it for the money.

I guess that they aren't doing it entirely for free means they aren't volunteers in the technical sense, but I doubt Val is all that interested in being technical about it.

Based on a post from Sarah Hokom on the MVP Disc Sports Fan page, the commentators are volunteers.

I watched about 45 minutes of the live coverage of FPO day one, and my thoughts were very similar to many here. Yikes. I'm happy to hear day 2 improved significantly, but I'm not sure I've got it in me to test it back out for a while.

I had higher hopes for the post-production round. I've watched the FPO R1 so far, and there have been... issues. Commentary has been fine, but production quality seems years (3? 4? 5?) behind what we are accustomed to as viewers. There were also issues on the B9 where the commentary was obviously 5 or so seconds AHEAD of the action, such that they would spoil results of putts before you saw them happen. Strangely, the audio of the course was synced to the video just fine. Pretty bad.

I watched some of both rounds today, and it was better. Still not flawless. Nate and Val are a pretty good combo, but they are both sort of color commentary types rather than anplay by play person.

Had to work single screen today, and when I need the whole thing for spreadsheets the commentary didn't always tell me what was going on exactly. "Oh she's not going to be happy with that attempt, sometimes it's better just to leave it close so your not on the back of that tree" who is she, and how did it miss?

Well, I assume all of the folks running the cameras and doing the back-end production are not professionals at those jobs. Or at least, they have regular day jobs that they're taking time off from to do this. Even if they're compensated with a stipend for travel/lodging/food, I doubt they're in it for the money.

I guess that they aren't doing it entirely for free means they aren't volunteers in the technical sense, but I doubt Val is all that interested in being technical about it.

Doesn't matter to me if they are or aren't volunteers, technically or otherwise. And I don't think she means anything in particular about it. It is interesting though, given the situation of DGPT "bringing production in-house" if the people brought in are volunteers. Not really the commentators, the cameramen and other production people. I tend to doubt it, I assume she means more like 'taking time away from their normal lives' and are I would hope getting paid for it.

FWIW, I thought the live stuff today was pretty decent.

Catching up with the MPO post-produced video now.

It took me awhile to realize, but the total lack of music feels really strange. Combined with the poor camerawork, it feels more like an amateur home video than anything modern and professional.

Maybe at a more interesting course, coverage like this would be somewhat acceptable, just to see the twists and turns of what happened. Here at the hyzer-fest, I tuned out after a few holes.

Based on the quality of the live & post produced coverage, my earlier guess that DGPT / Dodge is running out of money looks to be true. And jeesh....take a breath once in a while, you don't HAVE to talk that much.

Guess I do. Even having read that, I'm not going to expect that from second one of the first broadcast, everything is going to go off without a hitch and be perfect. That's insane and unrealistic. And I pity people who go through life with those kinds of expectations...they're going to be constantly disappointed.

I'm a sideliner on this---I'm not a Jomez fan or a Dodge-hater or a video consumer, in general---but I agree. But it makes me wonder, a bit.....

Why didn't they test run on a smaller event, a B-tier or two, and work the bugs out? Or did they?

Yes, I know there's a cost to that, in time and money. But the established video companies had a big head start. And those companies had the chance to start out on big events, because the bar was low at the time; they were surely going to be better than the 'little or nothing" that preceded them.

Sure seems like a full-scale scrimmage, before the opening day game, would have paid off.

I'm a sideliner on this---I'm not a Jomez fan or a Dodge-hater or a video consumer, in general---but I agree. But it makes me wonder, a bit.....

Why didn't they test run on a smaller event, a B-tier or two, and work the bugs out? Or did they?

Yes, I know there's a cost to that, in time and money. But the established video companies had a big head start. And those companies had the chance to start out on big events, because the bar was low at the time; they were surely going to be better than the 'little or nothing" that preceded them.

Sure seems like a full-scale scrimmage, before the opening day game, would have paid off.

This is exactly the point. If you have been buying shoes from a company for two years in a row and when you go to get the third pair they're terrible quality and fall apart the first time you wear them you would be pissed. The same is true here, when you promise to bring it in house and have the same quality but fall flat people notice. In the interview with Cory, Steve says that the camera operators only practice filming disc golf was at local courses with random casual players. Going from that base straight to the Memorial seems like a recipe for failure and expecting different seems a little arrogant.

It's why you run C- and B-tiers before the PDGA gives you the reins for something bigger.

I'd be terrified running a live show, anyway, sweating all the things that can go wrong. I'd be more terrified debuting it on a big stage.

Also, the graphic they use between holes has Weese and Fajkus' pictures switched.

Bit nit-picky, no? Seems the kind of error that is likely to happen once in a while when you're rushing to get the videos out in a hurry no matter who is producing the video. I mean, even Jomez makes those kinds of errors. In their video of the final FPO round at Las Vegas, their pre-round player intros had the graphics/photos for Paige Bjerkaas and Eveliina Salonen swapped.

Latest posts