• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Tour Live Coverage

Isn't this the last of the operating pro tours? Be careful what you wish for. I guess you don't remember what video coverage was like when it was just the NT.

Well, no, it's not. The NT is still there. And frankly, I think the suggestions that the Pro Tour is in trouble are greatly overblown. Someone suggested up thread that they're running out of money, yet part of this change in media plan required investing HEAVILY in new video equipment (we're talking 5 digits easily). If the concern on their end was funding, I don't think they'd have spent that money for equipment their original sub-contractors were providing already for presumably less per event.

Just because some of the hardcore never-be-pleased folks are upset doesn't mean the majority of folks aren't watching and enjoying coverage same as usual. Ultimately, it's the golf that drives the view counts, not who is filming it.

Aside from tracking, zooming, ... the raw picture quality seems so much worse in my opinion. Sky is super bright, everything else is dark. HD but still looks blurry somehow. Supposedly, they chose people with camera-experience over disc golf experience, so that should not be the issue? But if it isn't, doesn't that mean their equipment is just bad? Would like to hear thoughts from people that know about this kind of stuff.

Well, no, it's not. The NT is still there. And frankly, I think the suggestions that the Pro Tour is in trouble are greatly overblown. Someone suggested up thread that they're running out of money, yet part of this change in media plan required investing HEAVILY in new video equipment (we're talking 5 digits easily). If the concern on their end was funding, I don't think they'd have spent that money for equipment their original sub-contractors were providing already for presumably less per event.

Just because some of the hardcore never-be-pleased folks are upset doesn't mean the majority of folks aren't watching and enjoying coverage same as usual. Ultimately, it's the golf that drives the view counts, not who is filming it.

Funny that you mention the NT when I brought up what content was like when it was the only tour out there. Is the PDGA investing in content, or does it just check a box that says, yep, we recognize this as a NT stop? They shouldn't be paying to produce videos. Personally I think that money's much better served at the grassroots level making sure people grow up to love the game. A lot of people may think the sport's grown enough, but that opinion's been out there since before I (and they) started throwing. Thank goodness no one was dumb enough to listen to that opinion because I would've missed out on something beautiful.

You think the DGPT isn't running out of money because they invested in equipment to try to gain a consistent revenue stream? While I have no idea whether they're out of money or not I think you could make a case for either side with that move. Spending money to make money is hardly a new concept though. It feels like people would rather let a corporation come in and take the money instead because someone who loves the sport and is trying to make it grow is viewed as the devil because of a mistake.

One (yet another) thing I noticed during the McBeth round (1st round?), they would show each of the four tee shots from different angles. One from behind Simon, one from the side of Eagle (showing how far to the right he was looking, and therefore how far a hyzer he was throwing), then McBeth's shot from the camera at/near the basket.

I understand they were trying to give the shots from different perspectives, but I'd rather they show all shots the same way first, then they can go back and splice in the other angles. All the abrupt changes of camera views was disconcerting; YMMV on that.

It sounds like they're not paying close attention to the 180-degree rule or the 30-degree rule. The former says to stay to one side of the scene so the audience doesn't feel like they're flip-flopping and they can keep the whole scene mapped out in their imagination. The latter rule is that cuts have to be more than 30 degrees apart or else it feels like a weird janky jump within the same point of view, and is also jarring.

I watched the first two rounds last night (post-round coverage) and honestly think it's pretty decent. Commentary was good, production value was high. Could have used some Follow Flight type thing on a lot of those shots, though. That may be a symptom of the bright, sunny sky. I did not like the showing drives from different angles. They did it on a lot of holes, both rounds. Find a tee-off angle and stick to it!

As a casual viewer (waiting for the snow to melt) I don't think this latest coverage is that great either. At least in comparison to the LV and CA tournies the weeks before.

The commentary is OK, but nothing to write home about. Some of the camera work is choppy and you can't really see where the disc is flying at times.

As a casual viewer (waiting for the snow to melt) I don't think this latest coverage is that great either. At least in comparison to the LV and CA tournies the weeks before.

The commentary is OK, but nothing to write home about. Some of the camera work is choppy and you can't really see where the disc is flying at times.

I agree that the commentary was "okay". Firat, I usually watch these on my iPad, and it was a little hard to hear even with the volume maxed out. Second, the commentary just seemed kind of 'dull'. Maybe I'm just used to BigSexy commentary vis-a-vis that. And third, I think the syncing issues have been discussed, and hopefully will be ironed out.

I've been enjoying Uli a lot on commentary. I think he's fantastic. And I think he has helped subdue AJ a bit--he's been noticeably less wall-to-wall comedy.
There were two points in the R2 coverage that made me LOL, both cases Uli responding to AJ's questions in deadpan. On one, someone gets a chainout, and AJ asks where you're supposed to hit it to get it to stick, and Uli tells him the center would be a good start. On another, someone hits the ground near the basket and rolls, and he asks why, and Uli calmly explains about the hill sloping away from the basket and the disc being a circular object.

MPO Round 3 Post Production Video, The Memorial

Graphic on player scores incorrectly shows course as Fountain Hills.
Graphic on the hole descriptions shows the correct Vista Del Camino course title.

That's just sloppy. Not a deal breaker, but still just sloppy.

Well, monopolizing the coverage was certainly one way to make sure people watched the DGPT-produced videos. It was certainly poorer quality coverage than what we've gotten used to, but the sheer number of dislikes is evidence of how many of us watched in spite of any objections. As long as you've got the world's best disc golfers on your videos, I'll be watching. I'd rather have had someone record them more expertly and produce better videos, but I watched. Uh... thank you DGPT???

One (yet another) thing I noticed during the McBeth round (1st round?), they would show each of the four tee shots from different angles. One from behind Simon, one from the side of Eagle (showing how far to the right he was looking, and therefore how far a hyzer he was throwing), then McBeth's shot from the camera at/near the basket.

I understand they were trying to give the shots from different perspectives, but I'd rather they show all shots the same way first, then they can go back and splice in the other angles. All the abrupt changes of camera views was disconcerting; YMMV on that.
Same here. It's cool if they change angles to better film a different line but when everybody is throwing a big hyzer I don't want to guess where the hell everything is 4 different times.
I agree that the commentary was "okay". Firat, I usually watch these on my iPad, and it was a little hard to hear even with the volume maxed out. Second, the commentary just seemed kind of 'dull'. Maybe I'm just used to BigSexy commentary vis-a-vis that. And third, I think the syncing issues have been discussed, and hopefully will be ironed out.
I think it's important to note that Uli and AJ are watching the same crappy footage we are. Big Sexy would be struggling to fill dead air trying to interpret some of this camera work too probably.

Third round FPO, commentary is still several seconds behind the video. I honestly don't get it. They just upload the footage without checking whether it's good to go.

As long as you've got the world's best disc golfers on your videos, I'll be watching. I'd rather have had someone record them more expertly and produce better videos, but I watched.

I watched part of the first day's FPO stream (the disastrous one) and literally none of the rest of the tournament. I suppose if Steve Dodge wants to count that as a "unique viewer" then he can. But that's definitely not the same amount of Memorial coverage as I watched last year. I probably won't be watching anymore DGPT this year, either.

I can't get over how loud these background noises are. It seriously drowns out the commentary at times. What the actual heck? Why does round three footage still lack attention to detail? It's like a rough draft.

Third round FPO, commentary is still several seconds behind the video. I honestly don't get it. They just upload the footage without checking whether it's good to go.

People posted (A LOT) about wanting to hear banter/comments/conversation/pre hole chatter from players, so they amplify that at times and drown out the commentary. I think at times you can actually donate to have Nate and Val shut up and just listen to the play. And they pretty much are just uploading stuff and hoping for the best for the post stuff.

I think everything at this point IS a rough draft, and it's only going to get better as time goes on. Live sports is a tough cookie if you don't have a professional, massive production team and HUGE bandwidth draws to keep things rolling smoothly. These guys are still rolling with learn on the fly camera guys, and air cards that are likely running on 80% 4G towers with spotty 3G coverage, and maybe a sprinkle of true 5G at times. I seriously doubt they're pulling strings for a deployed private network, which means everyone else out there streaming/facebook/instragram are all pulling off the same network.

If they honestly make changes here and there and continue getting better, they're gonna be just fine. All in all the live coverage in my opinion was never not watchable. Shaky at times, maybe a grimace here and there but was still able to keep it on.

The live coverage was delightful. I'm thoroughly charmed by Val and Nate. I appreciate the massive effort made by everyone involved.
Thank y'all

I found that I had a difficult time judging the distance of many putts. In some cases 40ft putts looked like 20ft putts. I'm not sure if they're doing anything different with the camera or not but it was just harder to gauge distance the way it was shot? Was this the case for anyone else? Maybe it's just me.