• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D3 vs the Tern?

TripleB

Eagle Member
How does the Prodigy D3 400G compare to the Innova Tern Star?

I would like to move up in speed from my 168g Fury. I was looking for a Trilogy disc that offered a flight that is basically neutral in an 11 or 12 speed, but the couple I found (Renegade, Flow, Trespass, Sheriff) are slightly overstable according to the numbers. Although the Flow is available in 158g which might help me get it up to speed easier to keep the flight more neutral.

I have a 158g Tern but just don't care much for the Star plastic (actually none of the Innova plastics have grown on me except the DX). Other than Trilogy plastics the Prodigy 400G is the only plastic I've found that has the stiffer but still grippy feel that I love.

Thanks for any input!

TripleB

How does the Prodigy D3 400G compare to the Innova Tern Star?

I would like to move up in speed from my 168g Fury. I was looking for a Trilogy disc that offered a flight that is basically neutral in an 11 or 12 speed, but the couple I found (Renegade, Flow, Trespass, Sheriff) are slightly overstable according to the numbers. Although the Flow is available in 158g which might help me get it up to speed easier to keep the flight more neutral.

I have a 158g Tern but just don't care much for the Star plastic (actually none of the Innova plastics have grown on me except the DX). Other than Trilogy plastics the Prodigy 400G is the only plastic I've found that has the stiffer but still grippy feel that I love.

Thanks for any input!

TripleB

First, the Renegade. It is not as stable as its numbers, and it will season in even more. I'm bagging a Biofuzion Renegade now, and I think you'd like it.

As to the D3, I have not thrown one (I have the D4 and D5), but I think the D3 is more stable than the Tern. You might try the D4 as a Tern-like disc.

And I agree that Trilogy makes some great plastics. :thmbup: I just wish some of them were more durable. :(

I personally thought the D3 was more similar to a Shryke than a Tern. The D3 is a very glidey, fast, understable driver. It has some significant high speed turn and will flip over into a headwind or if you get too assertive with it.

For me the Tern has about the same stability, but a bit slower and shorter.

In summary, give the Shryke and Tern both a try and see which one you like better. The D3 is a good option as well. Frankly I'd avoid the Renegade. It is MUCH flippier than the numbers indicate and I found it to be a chore to throw straight.

Of all the discs you mentioned in your initial post I'd choose the Shryke over all of them. I haven't really thrown the Sheriff enough to be sold on it yet.

The D3 is usually more stable than all terns. Most D3's in my experience are more stable than champ terns, and closer to a seasoned destroyer. Some D3s are much more understable and behave more like a D4. The D4 is similar to a tern, but usually more understable and with less LSS.

A Shryke in my opinion is closer to a star tern.

Of all the discs you mentioned in your initial post I'd choose the Shryke over all of them.

A Shryke in my opinion is closer to a star tern.

I appreciate all the input.

I really don't care much for any of the Innova plastics except DX, and probably need my drivers in a more durable plastic than DX.

That's why I was wanting to go with a Trilogy disc or a Prodigy 400G disc.

Thanks again!

TripleB

For a Tern try an x4 or x5 depending on your arm speed.

Thanks!!!

After I put the above post I saw the X4 while I was looking at all of the Prodigy disc. I was thinking about a weight in between my Tern (158g) and my Fury (168g)...maybe a 163/164g.

TripleB

I bought an X4 to be a more stable Tern. It wasn't bad, but just can't compete with Terns for distance. Star Shryke has been a better Champ Tern replacement for me so far. Tough to find the higher PLH ones though.

The Renegade has noticably less glide than the Tern and its shorter for my noodle arm. After using it for half a season I took it out of my bag. I'm not a big fan

The Renegade has noticably less glide than the Tern and its shorter for my noodle arm. After using it for half a season I took it out of my bag. I'm not a big fan

Agree. The Tern blows the Renegade out of the water in every way. Much longer w/ better glide. Also, the Tern is far less susceptible to flipping. The Renegade starts turning... and never stops.

I'll call the Renegade one of the most disappointing discs I've thrown in the last year.

Agree. The Tern blows the Renegade out of the water in every way. Much longer w/ better glide. Also, the Tern is far less susceptible to flipping. The Renegade starts turning... and never stops.

I'll call the Renegade one of the most disappointing discs I've thrown in the last year.

Renegade is a down wind disc.

I agree with most of all this. The Renegade is not as stable as its numbers, and it does get more understable as the plastic wears in. It does not get Tern distance for me.

Caveats: for powerful and pro arms, the Renegade is flippy to the point of being useful mostly as a roller. So says former World Champ Eric McCabe, as well as Twmccoy above. But for the less fast and more casual amateur arms, the Renegade can get good distance. Also, the Renegade can be a good roller

I throw my Biofuzion Renegade in tailwinds and on uphill shots. As it wears in, I'm going to see if it becomes as good a roller as my AvengerSS. Over time I expect either the AvengerSS or the Renegade to become redundant and to leave the bag. We'll see who wins.

After a lot of time with all of my disc today, I would like to find a longer version (Trilogy or Prodigy) of my 168g Opto Fury...a little turn, a little fade, but lands dead straight to where I'm aiming!

So, is that the D3, D4, X4, Flow, Sheriff, or Renegade?

Based on just numbers I'd guess the D3, but as many of you have mentioned, numbers often lie!

Thanks!

TripleB

After a lot of time with all of my disc today, I would like to find a longer version (Trilogy or Prodigy) of my 168g Opto Fury...a little turn, a little fade, but lands dead straight to where I'm aiming!

Based on just numbers I'd guess the D3, but as many of you have mentioned, numbers often lie!

Thanks!

TripleB

D3 and Flow will be too overstable. Sheriff is a full speed 13 disc; is that what you want? The Sheriff is not all that understable, but may wear in to a sweet spot you like.

I again assert that the Renegade is a good understable disc for your arm, and would be the 'longer Fury' that you seek.

Thanks!

TripleB

You might give the Destiny a look. Fairly flippy, but it won't usually completely roll over. A D3 is another good option. I've seen Kings that could also work for what you're describing. The King is another disc that doesn't fly remotely close to what the stability numbers suggest.

Thanks!

TripleB

Definitely not the D4. Give the X3 a try.

D3 and Flow will be too overstable. Sheriff is a full speed 13 disc; is that what you want? The Sheriff is not all that understable, but may wear in to a sweet spot you like.

I again assert that the Renegade is a good understable disc for your arm, and would be the 'longer Fury' that you seek.

Thanks for the info on the D3 and Flow. Yea, the Sheriff is probably a stretch for me right now. I appreciate the info on the Renegade!

You might give the Destiny a look. Fairly flippy, but it won't usually completely roll over. A D3 is another good option. I've seen Kings that could also work for what you're describing. The King is another disc that doesn't fly remotely close to what the stability numbers suggest.

If I had to pick one based on specs I'd say the D3...mainly because of the -2/2 rating, which is basically what the Tern is, and the flight path seems similar to my Fury (at least on paper).

Haven't looked at the Destiny or the King so I'll take a look. Thanks!

Definitely not the D4. Give the X3 a try.

Would you say the D4 is too understable or why wouldn't you recommend it?

Thanks for everyone's input!

TripleB

Would you say the D4 is too understable or why wouldn't you recommend it?
TripleB

The D4 will have alot of turn, unless you somewhere like Denver with a higher elevation. I actually found the D4 to be pretty close to what you are hoping for....when I lived in Denver. When playing close to sea level it is quite understable.

The D4 is like a tern that doesn't come back at the end.

Latest posts